[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Changes to Yahoo

Jim Watkins

One addition to the members page would be to list the members model as it could help direct communication between owners with similar models.

Best Regards

Jim Watins  Maramu 181 ACT II

On Jan 25, 2016, at 4:09 PM, gary@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Alain,

The moderators fundamentally have the right to mess with other peoples' messages.  In a good way :)

It would be important to keep messages in their correct or appropriate categories so moderators can move them between subjects.  The same with pictures and files.
You would have the ability to hide or delete offensive material and send the user a warning.
You would be be to take two or more similar discussion topics and merge them into one for ease of search and likewise if a discussion takes a turn toward a different subject you can split out those posts and create a new topic.
Answering questions, maybe (although in this group I'd never ever expect to) handling a complaint, and deleting any spam.
You can also "lock" topics; meaning no else can add to it until it's unlocked. This will be useful if we have, for instance, a reference topic with a list if part numbers or sources or the like and we need it to not get lost in a discussion. It would only be updated with your consent to keep it clean and relevant.
You can "sticky" a topic, meaning it will always be presented at the top of the topics list, no matter how many additional messages might show up.  A 'stickied' message might contain all the links we need to point to important resources like bow thruster maintenance instructions, Polars, places to get maintenance performed that are familiar with Amels and other data we don;t want to get buried.
You can also set up and handle any Polls (surveys) based on the group's requests.

I'm probably leaving stuff out, but I also need to say that until the board gets up and running full time there will be very little to do except practice.  I'll try to help facilitate that. Once we get a hundred or so people using the board there will be stuff to do and if we have a thousand people it will take enough time that we should bring in two more moderators.

All along, the need to grow topics, expand and refine categories and rearrange the structure is easily handled without losing any data.

Let me know what you think.

Gary W.
SM 209, "Adagio"
BVI

Gary Wells

Hi Jim,

You fill out your model in your profile section. You can also add it to your signature which appears on every post.
It would be a manual effort, but not much of one, to assemble a simple spreadsheet of user names by model or model to user name and have that available.

Gary W.
S/V Adagio SM 209
BVI

James Wendell <ms42phantom54@...>

Gary, when should we switch to your new site? I have registered, but most folks still seem to be using Yahoo.
Jamie Wendell

s/v Phantom Amel 54

On Monday, January 25, 2016 6:07 PM, "gary@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Hi Jim,

You fill out your model in your profile section. You can also add it to your signature which appears on every post.
It would be a manual effort, but not much of one, to assemble a simple spreadsheet of user names by model or model to user name and have that available.

Gary W.
S/V Adagio SM 209
BVI

Mike Ondra

Hi Gary,

Aletes will be moving from Atigua to BVI next week. If you are there I’d like to meet you.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

On Monday, January 25, 2016 6:07 PM, "gary@sunshineduo.us [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Jim,

You fill out your model in your profile section. You can also add it to your signature which appears on every post.

It would be a manual effort, but not much of one, to assemble a simple spreadsheet of user names by model or model to user name and have that available.

Gary W.

S/V Adagio SM 209

BVI

Gary Wells

Hi Jamie,

I'm actually very close to ready for traffic on the new site.  There are a couple of tasks still waiting to be done, and it's just a matter of time and bandwidth.  I'll post an update later today.

Thanks,

Gary W.
S/V Adagio SM209
BVI