Loose bolt on rudder hinge SM2K

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

Hi all,

I have Brava on the hard to renew her antifouling, and I noticed that the middle hinge on the rudder has a large bolt countersunk into the hinge.  On the port side this bolt is tight, but on the starboard side the bolt turns and turns without tightening, nor does it extract when you try to loosen it.  I have posted a picture of the loose bolt and the hinge in the photos section under "rudder hinge SM2K".

Does anyone know the function of these bolts (Olivier?) and their importance?  I do not want to take measures to extract the loose bolt and perhaps replace it without some foreknowledge.

Derick

SM2K#400 Brava

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

I removed the loose bolt, and found it to be much shorter (10mm) than was warranted.  I have replaced it with an 8 X 30 mm stainless steel bolt, which screwed in tightly.

Derick
SM2K #400 Brava

Duane Siegfri

Derick,

What is the purpose of the bolt?  Does it screw into the skeg?  Is the skeg internally threaded for the bolt?

Thanks for posting this, I was very curious.

Duane
Wanderer SM #477

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

Duane, the bolt appears to be initially threaded in the stainless steel of the hinge and then further penetrates a nylon or Teflon cylinder, keeping the cylinder in place. I cannot tell if the cylinder is threaded or not.

Derick
SM2K #400 Brava