[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Changes to Yahoo

alainfeuillet@...

Hi Gary,
Ok to help you as moderator on this basis. I guess you will tell me when and how to start with the job.
Alain (PILGRIM)

Gary Wells

Alain, 

You are set as forum moderator now and should see new menu items available for your exploration.  As far as I'm concerned, you are active right now and as message traffic increases it'll likely be apparent what needs to be done ;)

Thanks so much for volunteering for this.  I'm definitely going to appreciate the additional support.

Gary W.
SM 209, "Adagio"
BVI

Gary Wells

UPDATES to the new board:

*Moderator set.
*Added 60 new topics on a per-model basis.  While this might prove a bit overkill to start, later on it will provide a much better search capacity as you can drill down to what model and what subject you wish to search within.
*Board Permissions and security is established uniformly across the boards.  Guests will be able to read almost anything but post almost nothing except into 'general' boards.  Membership will be required to to access files and photos except those included in general board messages.
*Message Board backups set up.  The only thing I have left to do in the 'backing up' department is to go deep and have the Service Provider schedule automatic backups of the SQL database.  Then we will stand pretty close to zero chance of losing more than a day's data.
*Added message boards for non-technical stuff. Cruising lifestyle, cooking, etc.  I thought about a 'Women's Corner' kind of a topic, but haven't done it yet because I'm not sure it is totally cool.  Expect a poll to that end sooner or later. It's easy to add and modify categories and topics to fit our interests.  If someone sees value in a topic that could be better served as its own board I'm certainly open to that. 

Now, moving over to the new board...  I guess it's not up to me to say when or how.  The transition will never be as clean as flipping a switch.  
I don't know how to put up a header or sticky message that says 'come on over to the new site'.  
I don't know when I should cease downloading messages from here and porting them over but I guess that depends on traffic.

There are over 70 folks registered so far.  There are some 1,200 members here.  I presume that the bulk of members here are passive because the postings seem to be a pretty active core group.  I believe most of that active group has already registered.  Once we 'switch' I'll let the email-verified registrations run for a while (say, a month) but then it will take an admin approval to join.  I think that it's reasonable to keep our group closed except to genuinely 'vested interest' folks.  

OK, for arguments' sake let's say I can have my security and backup tasks done in a couple of days.
There are still pictures to transfer and sort out, but that doesn't need to hold anything up as we can all pitch in and get the gallery going in a meaningful manner..

What are folks feeling about really doing this?  How about a 1 FEB 'live' date?

Gary W.
S/V Adagio SM 209
(windy today) BVI

Mike Ondra

Hi Gary,

I for one am excited to switch over 100% as this new format is so much better organized and searchable. Any date you pick is fine with me. I think as soon as the major contributors use the new site and not the old, many people will realize the value of switching over.

Mike

Aletes SM#240 heading to BVI next week

Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:38 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Changes to Yahoo

*Moderator set.

*Added 60 new topics on a per-model basis. While this might prove a bit overkill to start, later on it will provide a much better search capacity as you can drill down to what model and what subject you wish to search within.

*Board Permissions and security is established uniformly across the boards. Guests will be able to read almost anything but post almost nothing except into 'general' boards. Membership will be required to to access files and photos except those included in general board messages.

*Message Board backups set up. The only thing I have left to do in the 'backing up' department is to go deep and have the Service Provider schedule automatic backups of the SQL database. Then we will stand pretty close to zero chance of losing more than a day's data.

*Added message boards for non-technical stuff. Cruising lifestyle, cooking, etc. I thought about a 'Women's Corner' kind of a topic, but haven't done it yet because I'm not sure it is totally cool. Expect a poll to that end sooner or later. It's easy to add and modify categories and topics to fit our interests. If someone sees value in a topic that could be better served as its own board I'm certainly open to that.

Now, moving over to the new board... I guess it's not up to me to say when or how. The transition will never be as clean as flipping a switch.

I don't know how to put up a header or sticky message that says 'come on over to the new site'.

I don't know when I should cease downloading messages from here and porting them over but I guess that depends on traffic.

There are over 70 folks registered so far. There are some 1,200 members here. I presume that the bulk of members here are passive because the postings seem to be a pretty active core group. I believe most of that active group has already registered. Once we 'switch' I'll let the email-verified registrations run for a while (say, a month) but then it will take an admin approval to join. I think that it's reasonable to keep our group closed except to genuinely 'vested interest' folks.

OK, for arguments' sake let's say I can have my security and backup tasks done in a couple of days.

There are still pictures to transfer and sort out, but that doesn't need to hold anything up as we can all pitch in and get the gallery going in a meaningful manner..

What are folks feeling about really doing this? How about a 1 FEB 'live' date?

Gary W.

S/V Adagio SM 209

(windy today) BVI

Paul LaFrance <pflafrance@...>

Gary
Sounds great.
Please provide details again so we can sign up. Please include info for those like us that aren't as computer literate as some other folks.
Thanks
Paul & Sue LaFrance
SV NOMAD #362

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 09:38:20 -0800

*Moderator set.
*Added 60 new topics on a per-model basis.  While this might prove a bit overkill to start, later on it will provide a much better search capacity as you can drill down to what model and what subject you wish to search within.
*Board Permissions and security is established uniformly across the boards.  Guests will be able to read almost anything but post almost nothing except into 'general' boards.  Membership will be required to to access files and photos except those included in general board messages.
*Message Board backups set up.  The only thing I have left to do in the 'backing up' department is to go deep and have the Service Provider schedule automatic backups of the SQL database.  Then we will stand pretty close to zero chance of losing more than a day's data.
*Added message boards for non-technical stuff. Cruising lifestyle, cooking, etc.  I thought about a 'Women's Corner' kind of a topic, but haven't done it yet because I'm not sure it is totally cool.  Expect a poll to that end sooner or later. It's easy to add and modify categories and topics to fit our interests.  If someone sees value in a topic that could be better served as its own board I'm certainly open to that. 

Now, moving over to the new board...  I guess it's not up to me to say when or how.  The transition will never be as clean as flipping a switch.  

There are over 70 folks registered so far.  There are some 1,200 members here.  I presume that the bulk of members here are passive because the postings seem to be a pretty active core group.  I believe most of that active group has already registered.  Once we 'switch' I'll let the email-verified registrations run for a while (say, a month) but then it will take an admin approval to join.  I think that it's reasonable to keep our group closed except to genuinely 'vested interest' folks.  

Gary W.
S/V Adagio SM 209
(windy today) BVI

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Gary, you ask how folks feel. For me I'm happy where we are and just hope this doesn't mess up a great resource. I'll follow and hope
Regards
Danny 
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Sent: Thursday, 28 January 2016 6:38 AM

*Moderator set.

Gary W.
S/V Adagio SM 209
(windy today) BVI

greatketch@...

I'll chime in with my own thoughts, and they are worth every penny you have paid for them.  I like the idea of a new forum. Certainly this one has be an invaluable resource to me as I have been researching Amel boats.

I definitely dislike the fragmentation of the new forum into 60 different topics.  One of the real benefits of a forum like this is the cross-fretilization.  A SM2K owner might think he would never care what solutions a Sharki needs, but sometimes there are gems of wisdom in places we don't expect to see them.

I want to read ALL the message posted in the Amel owner forum, and the new format structure makes that a real pain...

Searching is still best done by keyword, not by forum category.

Bill Kinney
Honolulu, HI
Currently on SOB (Some Other Boat)
SM Shopping
http://www.fetchinketch.net

karkauai

I tend to agree with Bill.  Will keep using and see what I think after a few months.
Kent

On Jan 27, 2016, at 2:40 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'll chime in with my own thoughts, and they are worth every penny you have paid for them.  I like the idea of a new forum. Certainly this one has be an invaluable resource to me as I have been researching Amel boats.

I definitely dislike the fragmentation of the new forum into 60 different topics.  One of the real benefits of a forum like this is the cross-fretilization.  A SM2K owner might think he would never care what solutions a Sharki needs, but sometimes there are gems of wisdom in places we don't expect to see them.

I want to read ALL the message posted in the Amel owner forum, and the new format structure makes that a real pain...

Bill Kinney
Honolulu, HI
SM Shopping

Gary Wells

Hi Bill (and all),

Yep, I actually, totally agree.  I built all the categories (and basically there are just a few, but had to replicate them for each model I could remember).  I questioned and fretted all over it for a while and then just decided to make stuff up.  No one likes looking at a blank chalkboard and being asked "what would you want on it?" ...  then you ask "well, what can we have on it?" and the answer is, of course, "whatever you want on it .. " :)

The categories are basically:
   1: General Topics: This would be generic questions and answers about the boat (how does it perform?, what do they cost?, how many people can there be on board for a pot luck?, etc.)
   2: Description and Specifications: Consolidated and infrequently discussed reference data.
   3: Operating Guides and Checklists: Consolidated and infrequently discussed reference data.
   4: Service Schedules: Also a reference category, but likely to have occasional discussions and updates.
   5: Maintenance Procedures and Troubleshooting: A general category likely to be very busy.
   6: Bow Thruster: Probably will be one of the busiest topics with lots of reference pointers.
   7: Electrical: Discussions about wiring, bonding, grounding, light bulbs, refrigerators and the host of 12/24/120/240 wired up connections.
   8: Electronics and Navigation:  From AIS to Z-reset on the chain counter. Instrumentation, RADARs, plotters, Wifi and other near-magic systems.
   9: Engines and Drive Systems: C-Drives, Generators, Motors and mounts. 
  10: Hull and Interior: Glass, wood, fabrics and foam to name a few.
  11: Rigging and Sails: Lines, steel and the cloth that makes it go.
  12: Accessories:  Open topic, perhaps Davits, Solar, Anchors, or whatever doesn't fit in the other categories but gets bolted to the boat. 

Now, all this is a 'living' status.  Topics can merge, or split, or move or modify without loss of data.  

It may come that a question about something like air conditioners starts out in Accessories but becomes a deep discussion about the electrical system and gets moved there. 

In order to keep up with ALL the posts on the board you need only click on "Show unread posts since your last visit" and an ordered list will appear.  Likewise, if you don;t want to see ALL of them, but only the ones you are actively posting in you can do that by clicking "Show new replies to your posts." This can also be applied to your notification preferences when receiving an email digest.

The search function is global by default.  If you search for "C-Drive" you will get results from all boards. In order to drill down into more specific search results, the "Advanced Search" feature must be used. Then you can select more granularity in the searches.

If it comes to pass (and I presume it will) that categories need to be added, deleted or merged (I really don't know how often we'll be talking about the engine on a 64) then I'll just downscale the thing.   I really like this software for it's flexibility and capability.  At this point I am running pretty much on it's lowest performance level too, with only an upgraded photo gallery to speak of.  It has a lot of untapped potential to connect with Social Media, outside programs and mobile apps. Those are for purchase and I'm not ready for that on a couple of fronts.

Hopefully a little more help than confusion there.  Take care!

Gary W
SM 209 "Adagio" 
BVI

seagasm@...

Gary, may I suggest you change the permissions of the "For Sale" section to allow the general public/guests to view the posts. The way it is set up at present you have to be a member and log on before ever finding out what is available and for sale.

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM# 171

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi, I have just completed my regular morning scroll through the Amel owners forum emails. I love the diversity of threads, some I read carefully, others I skim. If I had to enter categories or topics it is very unlikely I would do it. If I see a post pertinent to me or I think I may want to review it some time in the future I have an email folder called "Amel advice" that I shift it to. Been doing that since 2009 so there are a few in there (in date order).
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Sent: Thursday, 28 January 2016 8:40 AM

Bill Kinney
Honolulu, HI
SM Shopping

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Gary.  When you go live will the yahoo group still be functional along with all its files?
Regards
Danny 299
Ocean pearl

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
Date:05/02/2016 05:48 (GMT+12:00)
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Changes to Yahoo

Hi all,

Well got kind of busy so let things sit for a bit.  No news, no problems and everything seems ready to go.

I will switch on "Administrator Approval" for new members in a week or so, so existing members here (if they want to) should register ow while the process is a simple email validation.  

I did a database backup to be sure it worked and they can be saved off-line to prevent any data loss.

If there is a consensus that folks want to move over now, I realize there are several very active discussions going on.  I have the ability to capture them and will move those over so the reply chain can start on the new board without dropping any of the current messages in the topic.

Looks like we'll e sitting tight for a couple of weeks here in the USVI whilst some paperwork gets handled so it's a good time as far as availability and connectivity for me to work on the board if anything goes weird or can be improved.

Regards,

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
USVI

Gary Wells

Danny,

Yes, everything will stay just as it is; I am not messing with the Yahoo site at all, just providing an alternative that should be a significant improvement.
Until Yahoo shuts the boards down everything should stay in place.
I have been working to migrate the data across to the new board and have had some good success in that, but it's not a total changeover yet.

The new site can go 'live' any time now, as soon as folks feel OK with posting to the new board.  

When new posts slow down or stop on this site I will do my best to capture everything that is here and get posted on the new board.

As far as shutting this one down, that is Yahoo's call if they ever do :)

Hope that helps,

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
USVI

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Dear Gary,

Do you think you should also have a location on the new site that has the exact format as on yahoo- with all the posts listed in date order?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 10:27 PM

Danny,

Yes, everything will stay just as it is; I am not messing with the Yahoo site at all, just providing an alternative that should be a significant improvement.

I have been working to migrate the data across to the new board and have had some good success in that, but it's not a total changeover yet.

The new site can go 'live' any time now, as soon as folks feel OK with posting to the new board.  

When new posts slow down or stop on this site I will do my best to capture everything that is here and get posted on the new board.

Hope that helps,

Gary W.

SM 209, Adagio

USVI

Gary Wells

Eric,

The Yahoo Database is not directly transferable to the any other kind of Forum or BBS.  

What I have done is to capture the messages (all 25,000+ of them) and create both .PDF and .html documents that you can search.

These documents are posted on the new forum already and you can download them for off-line use. You can now own your own personal copy of the entire Yahoo conversations.

Please note that these documents have not been updated for a month so the most recent posts are not included.  I will make a current set of them if folks start migrating to the new site and then establish a "Current as of:  cutoff date. Of all the things I've done, creating those documents was the most tedious.  Microsoft Word simply does not behave well handling a 6 million word document :)

Hope that answers your question.

Gary W
SM 209, Adagio
USVI

Michael Neale <michaelneale256@...>

Gary

Again, thanks for all your hard work. Impressive. 

Mike Neale

CYC

Marina del Rey, CA

818.371.2300 c

On Feb 4, 2016, at 8:17 PM, gary@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Eric,

The Yahoo Database is not directly transferable to the any other kind of Forum or BBS.  

What I have done is to capture the messages (all 25,000+ of them) and create both .PDF and .html documents that you can search.

These documents are posted on the new forum already and you can download them for off-line use. You can now own your own personal copy of the entire Yahoo conversations.

Please note that these documents have not been updated for a month so the most recent posts are not included.  I will make a current set of them if folks start migrating to the new site and then establish a "Current as of:  cutoff date. Of all the things I've done, creating those documents was the most tedious.  Microsoft Word simply does not behave well handling a 6 million word document :)

Gary W
SM 209, Adagio
USVI

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Gary,

Thank you for your incredible work for all of us.

What is the link to our new website?

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 11:32 PM
Cc: Neale Deborah

Gary

Mike Neale

CYC

Marina del Rey, CA

818.371.2300 c

On Feb 4, 2016, at 8:17 PM, gary@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Eric,

Gary W

SM 209, Adagio

USVI

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hi Eric,

I agree…. Gary has done a terrific job protecting a “heritage” endangered by Yahoo intentions.

We will be far better served with the new site rather than the uncertain future at Yahoo.

IMO, changing over is a no brainer!

ATB

Jean-Pierre
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 5 Feb 2016, at 09:15, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Gary,
Thank you for your incredible work for all of us.
What is the link to our new website?
Fair Winds
Eric

Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 11:32 PM
Cc: Neale Deborah

Gary

Mike Neale
CYC
Marina del Rey, CA
818.371.2300 c

Eric,

Gary W
SM 209, Adagio
USVI

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, Amel Super Maramu 007
Porto Turistico Marina di Ragusa, Pontoon M15,
97100 Ragusa, Sicily, Italy
+44 7551 211 511
jp.germain@...

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Yes thanks 

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
Date:05/02/2016 16:27 (GMT+12:00)

Danny,

Hope that helps,

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
USVI

Gary Wells

The link is:

www dot amelowners dot net  

Gary W
SM 209 Adagio
USVI