[Amel Yacht Owners] Broken/Snapped drive shaft

Stephen Davis

Paul,

Just a thought...Fixing the problem in the BVI might be a little difficult due to lack of good marine resources, and knowledge of the Amel. Here in St Martin, the resources are much better, and it is only an 80 mile sail away. Also, Will has a special tool he had machined to help with the alignment process, and I'm sure he would let you use it. When Kent had his problem, he had it fixed in Puerto Rico, and he has the name of the mechanic who did the work.

Steve
Aloha Sm72
St Martin

On Jan 27, 2016, at 10:55, pflafrance@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We have broken the shaft from the engine to the transmission. The shaft broke inside the Vetus Flex Coupling.
Has any one had to replace this part and if so how did it come off. Does Amel have a spare for this? We have emailed Amel and are awaiting their reply.

Paul & Susan LaFrance
SV NOMAD SM #362
Currently at anchor in Peter Island BVI

karkauai

Sorry to hear about your problem, Paul.  When mine broke I was 100 mm East of Puerto Rico in dead air...it took 3 days to sail back.
The shaft was broken between the transmission and the flex coupling where it's diameter stepped down about 14mm.

I had it repaired by a local machine shop.  They turned the larger diameter part down to the same size as the smaller part and made a sleeve which was fitted over both ends of the broken shaft and welded in place.  It still seemed strong two years later when I removed the CDrive to replace it when I had the electrolysis problem.
Amel said that the shafts and 90degree gears were made as a set and didn't want to sell me just the upper shaft.
It isn't hard to remove the shaft, but to put it back together you'll have to move the engine aft a bit.

I'm sure that mine failed because of worn out engine mounts.  I'd take this opportunity to change them now, too.

Please call me if you'd like to talk about this.  I'm in North Carolina at +1 828-234-6819

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jan 27, 2016, at 10:53 AM, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul LaFrance <pflafrance@...>

Steve
Thanks for the info.
The shaft is definitely broken as we have taken the Vetus coupling off after moving the engine back. We did break up a Vetus coupling last year that was caused by the mechanic not using lock washers on the bracket holding the transmission in place and it came loose. This was done when the engine was replaced and the mechanic who installed the engine loosened up the bolts. The Vetus coupling could be replaced but is serviceable as soon as I punch out the broken shaft that is inside it.
It would be a tough sail over to St Martin due to the pointing aspects of an Amel. I believe FKG could machine a part. In Roadtown there is a machine shop, Nautitool, who could machine a part.
My real question is how to remove the shaft. Did Kent have his shaft removed? If possible I would sail to Puerto Rico to have it done if this is what Kent had done. I would prefer to know how it comes apart even if Amel can source a replacement.
I have posted pictures on the Amel site.

Thanks
Paul & Sue LaFrance
SV NOMAD #362

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:53:24 -0400
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Broken/Snapped drive shaft

[...]

I just posted some pics on the site. Will try to call you later
Paul

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:18:50 -0500

[...]

Hi Paul,
The mechanic in Fajardo is Danny Ramos at Marine Mechanical.
(787) 655-3702 office
(787) 607-0945 mobile
He is walking distance from SunBay Marina.
Kent

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:53:24 -0400

[...]

Thanks for the info. We have ordered a replacement from Amel. We are on our way after repairs are done and will have the old transmission repaired if possible by Danny in Fajardo.
Paul & Sue

To: amelyachtowners@...; pflafrance@...

From: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:53:24 -0400

[...]

Glad you're getting it done.  Please say Ola to Danny for me.
Kent

To: amelyachtowners@...; pflafrance@...

From: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:53:24 -0400

[...]

tango708@...

Hi Paul, I am one of several folks that have experienced a broken shaft. If you still need directions to remove the shaft for repairing let me know and I will be happy to send instruction. The shaft comes out pretty easy and can be repaired by a good machine shop. I had to replace some bearings as well and the shaft seal. The seal had to be ordered from Europe as I could not find the metric size in the states.

Will Stout
SM180
St Martin, Marina Ft Louie

Paul LaFrance <pflafrance@...>

Steve
Sorry for the delay in responding but Hotmail email has been. Who is Will and where is he located. We are now in St Thomas awaiting a new shaft assembly from Amel.
Thanks
Paul
SV NOMAD #362

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:53:24 -0400

[...]

Will Stout from SM Anni Bea True is anchored 100 yards off my bow here in St Martin. His email is wstout@mac dot com, and you should be able to text him at 206-841-9556.

I'll let him know you would like to talk to him when I see him tomorrow.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha Sm72
St Martin

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:53:24 -0400

[...]

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Paul. Sorry to see you've had a problem with the drive. I've worked with Joseph on another Amel he's very good best on St Tom here's his number.
1 (956) 561-0620
Good luck.
Fair Winds Smooth Sailing To All
Capt Richard
RP Yacht Brokerage
Newport RI
We list sell and service fine yachts including Amel's
Cell 603 767 5330

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:53:24 -0400

[...]

Steve Tried to email Will and it keeps bouncing back
Using wstout@...
Paul

To: amelyachtowners@...

From: amelyachtowners@...

[...]