Holding Tank Discharge Lock

greatketch@...

Hmmmm...  Let me reconsider...

Some authorities say it is "suggested" that a Y-valve be secured, others say it is "required"...  The official Florida state website, for example says, "recommended"...

In any event, a lock, a handle removal, or a "non-reusable cable tie" are all listed as appropriate.

I have had many boats inspected by the USCG, and they never asked to see the disabled handle.  But likely better to removed the handle as an easy solution.

greatketch@...

There is no general requirement in US waters to lock the overboard discharge valve!

Some local jurisdictions or marinas might have such a rule, but it is most certainly not required in all US territorial waters.

That said, it is not legal to discharge your tank within 3 nautical miles of the coast, but you do not have to disable the discharge valve.

I have kept a boat in a marina which wanted the valve disabled.  Tying it shut with a plastic cable tie satisfied them.

Jeff Wingfield <ki4jde@...>

For those of you who are in or have been in US waters, how did you secure the valve for the holding tank discharge? I am puzzled as to an effective way of blocking the lever for the two valves.

Jeff
LAST TANGO.