[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Holding Tank Discharge Lock

Mark Erdos

Bill,

“There is no general requirement in US waters to lock the overboard discharge valve!”

I think you need to familiarize yourself with 33 CFR 159.7 – USCG Requirements for vessel operators.

(b) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge of treated or untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental Protection Agency under 40 CFR 140.3 or 140.4, the operator must secure each Type I or Type II device in a manner which prevents discharge of treated or untreated sewage. Acceptable methods of securing the device include—

(1) Closing the seacock and removing the handle;

(2) Padlocking the seacock in the closed position;

(3) Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold the seacock in the closed position; or

(4) Locking the door to the space enclosing the toilets with a padlock or door handle key lock.

(c) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge of untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Marsh Harbour – Abaco Islands - Bahamas

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 10:28 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Holding Tank Discharge Lock

There is no general requirement in US waters to lock the overboard discharge valve!

Some local jurisdictions or marinas might have such a rule, but it is most certainly not required in all US territorial waters.

That said, it is not legal to discharge your tank within 3 nautical miles of the coast, but you do not have to disable the discharge valve.

I have kept a boat in a marina which wanted the valve disabled.  Tying it shut with a plastic cable tie satisfied them.

Eric Colegrove <ecole2020@...>

My Maramu has 2 heads, but only one has a holding tank and valve.  The forward head is overboard discharge only.  Does on have to lock the door to the head, or put a chain around it? Has anyone plumbed in a macerator pump on a Maramu?  Currently, the only way to empty the minuscule 10 gallon holding tank is by shore side pump out. 

Eric 
s/v Wind Waltz
1982 Amel Maramu

Unnamed 
1974 AMF Force 5
FOR SALE

On Monday, February 1, 2016 10:50 AM, "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]"

Bill,

“There is no general requirement in US waters to lock the overboard discharge valve!”

I think you need to familiarize yourself with 33 CFR 159.7 – USCG Requirements for vessel operators.

(b) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge of treated or untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental Protection Agency under 40 CFR 140.3 or 140.4, the operator must secure each Type I or Type II device in a manner which prevents discharge of treated or untreated sewage. Acceptable methods of securing the device include—
(1) Closing the seacock and removing the handle;
(2) Padlocking the seacock in the closed position;
(3) Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold the seacock in the closed position; or
(4) Locking the door to the space enclosing the toilets with a padlock or door handle key lock.
(c) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge of untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000
Hull #275
www.creampuff.us
Currently cruising:  Marsh Harbour – Abaco Islands - Bahamas

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 10:28 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Holding Tank Discharge Lock

There is no general requirement in US waters to lock the overboard discharge valve!

Some local jurisdictions or marinas might have such a rule, but it is most certainly not required in all US territorial waters.

That said, it is not legal to discharge your tank within 3 nautical miles of the coast, but you do not have to disable the discharge valve.

I have kept a boat in a marina which wanted the valve disabled.  Tying it shut with a plastic cable tie satisfied them.