Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Jib forestay / Mouse Assembly

Stephen Davis

Hey Aras,

The Amel furler and forestay configuration is a bit unusual, and most riggers have never seen one. In our case when the forestay was dry, we got a metal to metal screeching sound when we furled. We rebuilt the entire system last summer, coated the fore stay with super lube synthetic grease, and it is now smooth and quiet. The superlube is a nice product, as it is clear and less messy than conventional waterproof grease.

Good luck with the furler rebuild.

Steve and Liz
Aloha SM 72
St Martin

On Feb 4, 2016, at 12:12, n33077@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Can anyone tell me why the jib forestay needs to be greased?  I took my forestay down to rebuild the electric motor and now I'm ready to put it back up.  Rigger and I curious why greasing the forestay is needed.

Also, Does anyone have a picture and nomenclature of the jib mouse assembly.   I do not have one and would to acquire for flying both jibs downwind.

I searched the forum but have not found anything substantive.

Thanks

Aras
Sharki # 163

Beaute Olivier

Good evening Aras,

the genoa/ballooner furling system with hook and "mouse" release was developped in 1993 and your Sharki is probably not equipped with this system, unless you have changed your furling foil with a three groove one.
How many grooves are there in your foil, 2 or 3?
If 2, then your swivel is not the one that hooks and dehooks the ballooner with the "mouse".

Best regards.

Olivier.

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 5:41 PM, "Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

[...]

Giovanni TESTA

Hi Olivier,
about "why the jib forestay needs to be greased?" may you please tell us what happens
 when "we got a metal to metal screeching sound"?
 Is it a serious problem?
thanks so much
Buon Vento
Giovanni TESTA
sv EUTIKIA
SM2K n428

Il 04/02/2016 18:26, Beaute Olivier atlanticyachtsurvey@... [amelyachtowners] ha scritto:

[...]

n33077@...

Olivier,

Yes you are right. I only have 2 grooves on my furler.  This begets the next question fro downwind sailing.  I presume then, one must use the spinnaker halyard for the second sail.  One should also attach a "down" line to pull down the sail before furling.

Aras

amelforme

Just attach both heads of both headsails to the swivel and hoist. You can then furl the double headsail rig infinitely without wrapping the spinnaker/second halyard around the swivel and headfoil.

Joel F. Potter
THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY
954-812-2485

On Feb 4, 2016, at 1:24 PM, n33077@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Olivier,

Yes you are right. I only have 2 grooves on my furler.  This begets the next question fro downwind sailing.  I presume then, one must use the spinnaker halyard for the second sail.  One should also attach a "down" line to pull down the sail before furling.

Aras

n33077@...

Thank Joel,

Appreciate the thought and guidance.
Aras

Mark Pitt

 I will be re-rigging my Super Maramu in April and will re-grease the jib forestay at that time.  Is "Super Lube" the best product for this task?  What does Amel use on new boats? Suggestions are appreciated.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" ASM #419 currently in Kas, Turkey

Beaute Olivier

Hi Mark,

the purpose of the grease is to reduce friction (and wear) between the  inner tube of the foil and the forestay.
AMEL's recommendation was to renew the grease after 5 years, but very often, there is still a huge amount of grease remaining (after 5 years), depending on the sailing area, as in warm waters, the grease will melt more (than in cold) and collect at the base of the forestay.
AMEL used Silicone grease, rather heavy and sticky, but however, melting above 35°C.

Olivier

On Friday, February 5, 2016 4:59 AM, "mark_pitt@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

 I will be re-rigging my Super Maramu in April and will re-grease the jib forestay at that time.  Is "Super Lube" the best product for this task?  What does Amel use on new boats? Suggestions are appreciated.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" ASM #419 currently in Kas, Turkey

Giovanni TESTA

Hi Olivier, many thanks for infos. Waiting to arrive at an Amel base, as I'm now in Thailand, may I add some how grease from the top ?
All the best
Giovanni Testa
sv Eutikia   SM2k  428