Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Bottom paint

Hi Eric,

We had the bottom of Pen Azen dry sand blasted with a machine operator who was millimetre accurate. When he finished  the gelcoat looked as if it had just come out of the mould. You wouldn't think it had ever been painted.
  We put two layers of clear epoxy on and then we Coppercoated.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen , SM 302 Greece

On 12 Feb 2016, at 02:10, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi,

I was thinking of having the bottom of Kimberlite stripped and painted.

I have been using ablative paint for the last 13 years and the bottom is no longer fair, regardless of a number of heavy sandings. Has anyone had their boats bottom and keel media blasted?  Someone mentioned that media blasting will harm the gelcoat.

Also, would you recommend a barrier coat if I have the bottom paint removed to the gelcoat?

Was the original factory paint hard epoxy or ablative paint? What was applied to the keel?

Olivier, what would you recommend?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

eric freedman

Hi Ian and Judy,

Did he actually use sand or another media?

Best

[...]

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Eric,

I had BeBe hand scraped, then sanded in 2011. The original bottom paint was an International hard paint. There was no barrier coat because it is not needed on your Super Maramu as Amel has a propriety osmotic coat beneath the gelcoat...

I have always used International Micron 66 or Micron 77. I do not believe Micron 77 is available in the US or any country influenced by what the EPA allows...I have seen it here in Martinique. FYI, the EPA has not approved a single new bottom paint in the last 7 years (politics). Micron 77 is better than 66 because you can take 77 into fresh water...77 becomes inert after too much fresh water.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 10:15 AM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Warren Traill

Great and timely information for us. We are about to take our Sharki out for anti fouling.
Bill do you know if Sharki’s built in 1980 also featured this propriety osmotic coat?
We are hauling out in Malaysia and plan to use Jotun Seaforce 90.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Warren and Zetta
Manon2
Sharki #15

Sent from Windows Mail

[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Gang,

We use Coppercoat… and have done so in the Med for the last 7 years.  Bill on BeBe suggests Coppercoat will not work well in water temps exceeding 30C.  But thus far, every time I look, there is graphic evidence of “barnies” attaching and growing only to slide off the hull at a slight distance away.  It is a visible process.  I will post photos when I get in for a swim… too cold now.  Plus, I am a wimp for this.

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, Amel Super Maramu 007

[...]

I do not know if the 1980 Sharki had this...I suspect no, but Joel Potter will know.

Bill
BeBe

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 11:23 AM, trailz@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Beaute Olivier

Hello Warren,

the barrier that AMEL spreads while manufacturing the hull is made of isophtalic polyester resin with 1-2 mm glass scales. It is put just after the gel-coat is spread into the mould.  AMEL started this process in 1987 as some boats made in Europe were starting to get "blisters" on the outside of the hull, under the gel-coat.

However, your Sharki may have never suffered "blistering". Don't use too powerful high pressure machine to wash your hull (maximum 80 bars) as this is a major cause for starting blistering and osmosis.

Good luck for your hull works.

Olivier.

[...]

Mark Pitt

I had Jotun Seaforce 90 applied in Pangkor, Malaysia a few years ago and was very satisfied with its performance.

   Mark Pitt
   Sabbatical III, ASM #419

On Feb 12, 2016, at 6:23 AM, trailz@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Olivier,

Do you think I should have the hull media blasted or hand scraped and sanded down to gel coat?

[...]

Hello Eric,

there are now machines that do a very good job. In France we call it "hydro-gommage" which can be translated by water-erasing. In fact, this is a soft sand blasting with water and a special kind of sand based on sodium bicarbonate (ARMEX). With these machines, as Ian wrote, the operator can do a very accurate job, not removing any gel-coat.
Have a look at GRITCO dot FR (in english) or aerogommage dash probanet dot fr (french speaking).

Good luck for this job. Your hull will be happy and faster...

Olivier.

[...]

  In answer to your question, our guy used dry sand, in 2010, but even then it was disapproved of for environmental reasons. He preferred  to work with dry sand but I think now everyone uses wet sand, as mentioned by Olivier.

Ian

Date: Friday, 12 February, 2016, 18:37

From:
amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com