[Amel Yacht Owners] Rope cutter

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Paul,

Follow this link and you will find your answer:

I think it is the high priced Spurs zinc.

Regarding this zinc, does anyone other than Spurs think it is important in a SM or later Amel with the Amel Bonding System that eliminates the need for a zinc on the AutoProp.

Logic tells me that the Spurs zinc is not needed.

Bill
BeBe 387
Martinique

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

On the part of the rope cutter that are positioned in the “V” of the  oil plug, there is a screw in the bottom that does not like to hold anything, Anyone who know what it is fore?

 Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM #259

Paul Osterberg

Thank you!
It was for the zink, which I do not think is nessesary¨
Pauk

Olivier Beaute

Good evening Paul,

if you look at the fixed blade (the one that is held in the V-cut oil plug) carefully, you will notice that it is mounted around the shaft on a plastic bearing (to ease the friction) with a U-shaped section that envelopes its ring, and therefore isolates it from the prop shaft. This is the reason why there is a zinc on it. So, it is better to install a new zinc there to avoid galvanic corrosion on this small item.
If you check the electric relation between the fixed blade and the rudder zincs, you may find some resistance, maybe infinite.
Check this blade very carefully for pitting. If the metal doesn't show any corrosion, it's good for you, but corrosion may come later on.
I haven't got the experience of inspecting this part after several years without renewing the zinc. Maybe someone on this site has a rope cutter without new zinc for more than 3 years... he could tell you what the blade loooks like.

Best regards.

Olivier.

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:37 PM, "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Thank you!
It was for the zink, which I do not think is nessesary¨
Pauk

Paul Osterberg

Thank you,
My boat has been in the water for a long time when I bought hear so in total more than 4 hears without changing the spur zink, I saw no trace of corrosion, however I will try to get it hear in Turkey before going into the water, but if not available local, I have to wait until next time on the hard
Paul S/Y Kerpa SM#259

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Paul,

You can make a zinc for the spurs line cutter by cutting it out of a boat zinc. It will not be a pretty as the Spurs zinc, but if you want a zinc on the line cutter, it will work. I have done this in the past.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:52 AM, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you,

My boat has been in the water for a long time when I bought hear so in total more than 4 hears without changing the spur zink, I saw no trace of corrosion, however I will try to get it hear in Turkey before going into the water, but if not available local, I have to wait until next time on the hard
Paul S/Y Kerpa SM#259

Paul Osterberg

Good to know I will try if I can't get the original
Thank you
Paul