[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: furlers gear box lubrication

Eric Freedman

Alan,

I grease my Leroy Somer gearboxes twice a year. You would be surprised how much water and dirty grease comes out. At the same time I lubricate the outhaul shaft with anti-seize grease.

My gearboxes are now almost 14 years old.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 2:28 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: furlers gear box lubrication

Perhaps the "never" was a bit rash ! but the original boxes lasted 12 years

My gearboxes a re Leroy Somers.

The boom gearbox failed as the oil had leaked out (before I owned the boat) and the gears just gave up.

The main gearbox was replaced as the housing was actually falling apart.

The gearboxes are not that diffcult to take off and take apart, unless it hasn't been done for a while.

I still don't see the point of squirting grease into them.

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Perhaps the "never" was a bit rash ! but the original boxes lasted 12 years
My gearboxes a re Leroy Somers.
The boom gearbox failed as the oil had leaked out (before I owned the boat) and the gears just gave up.
The main gearbox was replaced as the housing was actually falling apart.
The gearboxes are not that diffcult to take off and take apart, unless it hasn't been done for a while.
I still don't see the point of squirting grease into them.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Craig Briggs

Hi Alan,
Yes, you're right about oil, not grease, being used - as I noted, Bonfiglioli fills these at the factory with Shell Tivela S320 weight gear oil, not grease, and considers it permanent lubrication, expecting 25,000 hours of operation. Unfortunately, as many of us have experienced, with the heat of baking in the sun and the harsh environment on the boat it does drip out and water gets in.  
Just out of curiosity, so we can all learn, is that why you replaced both of your gearboxes? If so, why would you expect not to have any issues in the future, if you are replacing them with the same thing?
Whether you use gear oil or grease is probably less important than adding grease nipples or access plugs so you can periodically refresh the lubricant and displace any water.
Cheers,
Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <divanz620@...> wrote :

These gearboxes are "lubricated for life" according to the label. I guess that means that when they run out of life they are no longer lubricated.
An old one that I took off was definitely filled with heavy weight oil not grease.
Oil seems the better bet to me...its a gearbox not a bearing.
Grease tends to get thrown off the gears and sticks to the case, oil on the other hand being less viscous is always in contact with the gear teeth surfaces.
Having recently replaced both outhaul and main furling gearboxes, I hope to never have any issues.
CHEERS
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

These gearboxes are "lubricated for life" according to the label. I guess that means that when they run out of life they are no longer lubricated.
An old one that I took off was definitely filled with heavy weight oil not grease.
Oil seems the better bet to me...its a gearbox not a bearing.
Grease tends to get thrown off the gears and sticks to the case, oil on the other hand being less viscous is always in contact with the gear teeth surfaces.
Having recently replaced both outhaul and main furling gearboxes, I hope to never have any issues.
CHEERS
Alan
Elyse SM437

Eric Freedman

I decided to not use Zerk grease  fittings on my gearboxes. I drilled and tapped the genoa and main gearboxes with a 5 mm tap. On one side of the box the hole is high the other side is low.

I then use nylon screws to seal off the holes. They will never rust or corrode.

I use an adapter that fits my grease gun from Autoprop which is 5 mm.

By putting grease in the lower hole and catching the old grease from the higher hole, I can tell when the box is full of new grease. In addition I do not have to worry about blowing the lip seal out of the gearbox.

You can also see that you have new grease and no water in the gearbox

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Monday, March 07, 2016 10:48 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: furlers gear box lubrication

Hi Vladimir,

On the Santorin and, I believe, some SM's, the gearbox is a Bonfiglioli Model VF44 with configuration P1 70 P63 B14 B3.  That's a 70:1 reduction.  On SM's I believe Amel also used Leroy Somer products.  And, yes, these are standard worm gear reducing gearboxes - or riductori in Italian (I think).

Cheers, Craig SN68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sonsev52@...> wrote :

Hi Craig,

Thanks for good information.
Do you know Bofiglioli gear box part number for the gearbox that was modified for Amel application? Do you know the gearbox ratio? It is most likly warm gear box.

Vladimir
SM 345 "LIFE IS GOOG"

On Mar 7, 2016 1:25 PM, "sangaris@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bonfiglioli specifies Shell Tivela S 320 or equivalent. They consider this gearbox to be "permanently lubricated" (hence no oil fill ports). 

They also design to a much different application with thousands of hours of running in a clean environment without regular dousing of sea water. Because heat is no issue for us and it needs to fit inside the mast, Amel removed the cooling fins, which you need to do if you replace it. Amel also used a different motor and drilled new mounting holes for it, and added delrin spacers.  

So, imho, the common sense recommendations on this db to add grease fittings and lubricate regularly with a high quality marine grease are what you should do. 

What are the conflicting recommendations have you gotten?

Why did yours crack? Are you fixing it or replacing it?

---In amelyachtowners@..., <santorinlo18@...> wrote :

Hi, Which is the manufacturer's recommended lub for the furling gear boxes and its thickness? my gearbox has cracked and I seep getting conflicting recommendations fro 'experts'.

Craig Briggs

Hi Vladimir,
On the Santorin and, I believe, some SM's, the gearbox is a Bonfiglioli Model VF44 with configuration P1 70 P63 B14 B3.  That's a 70:1 reduction.  On SM's I believe Amel also used Leroy Somer products.  And, yes, these are standard worm gear reducing gearboxes - or riductori in Italian (I think).

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sonsev52@...> wrote :

Hi Craig,

Do you know Bofiglioli gear box part number for the gearbox that was modified for Amel application? Do you know the gearbox ratio? It is most likly warm gear box.

Vladimir
SM 345 "LIFE IS GOOG"

On Mar 7, 2016 1:25 PM, "sangaris@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bonfiglioli specifies Shell Tivela S 320 or equivalent. They consider this gearbox to be "permanently lubricated" (hence no oil fill ports). 

They also design to a much different application with thousands of hours of running in a clean environment without regular dousing of sea water. Because heat is no issue for us and it needs to fit inside the mast, Amel removed the cooling fins, which you need to do if you replace it. Amel also used a different motor and drilled new mounting holes for it, and added delrin spacers.  
So, imho, the common sense recommendations on this db to add grease fittings and lubricate regularly with a high quality marine grease are what you should do. 

---In amelyachtowners@..., <santorinlo18@...> wrote :

Hi, Which is the manufacturer's recommended lub for the furling gear boxes and its thickness? my gearbox has cracked and I seep getting conflicting recommendations fro 'experts'.

VLADIMIR SONSEV

Hi Craig,

Vladimir
SM 345 "LIFE IS GOOG"

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :