From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 2:28 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: furlers gear box lubrication

Perhaps the "never" was a bit rash ! but the original boxes lasted 12 years

My gearboxes a re Leroy Somers.

The boom gearbox failed as the oil had leaked out (before I owned the boat) and the gears just gave up.

The main gearbox was replaced as the housing was actually falling apart.

The gearboxes are not that diffcult to take off and take apart, unless it hasn't been done for a while.

I still don't see the point of squirting grease into them.

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Perhaps the "never" was a bit rash ! but the original boxes lasted 12 years
My gearboxes a re Leroy Somers.
The boom gearbox failed as the oil had leaked out (before I owned the boat) and the gears just gave up.
The main gearbox was replaced as the housing was actually falling apart.
The gearboxes are not that diffcult to take off and take apart, unless it hasn't been done for a while.
I still don't see the point of squirting grease into them.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Craig Briggs

Hi Alan,
Yes, you're right about oil, not grease, being used - as I noted, Bonfiglioli fills these at the factory with Shell Tivela S320 weight gear oil, not grease, and considers it permanent lubrication, expecting 25,000 hours of operation. Unfortunately, as many of us have experienced, with the heat of baking in the sun and the harsh environment on the boat it does drip out and water gets in.
Just out of curiosity, so we can all learn, is that why you replaced both of your gearboxes? If so, why would you expect not to have any issues in the future, if you are replacing them with the same thing?
Whether you use gear oil or grease is probably less important than adding grease nipples or access plugs so you can periodically refresh the lubricant and displace any water.
Cheers,
Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <divanz620@...> wrote :

These gearboxes are "lubricated for life" according to the label. I guess that means that when they run out of life they are no longer lubricated.
An old one that I took off was definitely filled with heavy weight oil not grease.
Oil seems the better bet to me...its a gearbox not a bearing.
Grease tends to get thrown off the gears and sticks to the case, oil on the other hand being less viscous is always in contact with the gear teeth surfaces.
Having recently replaced both outhaul and main furling gearboxes, I hope to never have any issues.
CHEERS
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

These gearboxes are "lubricated for life" according to the label. I guess that means that when they run out of life they are no longer lubricated.
An old one that I took off was definitely filled with heavy weight oil not grease.
Oil seems the better bet to me...its a gearbox not a bearing.
Grease tends to get thrown off the gears and sticks to the case, oil on the other hand being less viscous is always in contact with the gear teeth surfaces.
Having recently replaced both outhaul and main furling gearboxes, I hope to never have any issues.
CHEERS
Alan
Elyse SM437

Eric Freedman

I decided to not use Zerk grease  fittings on my gearboxes. I drilled and tapped the genoa and main gearboxes with a 5 mm tap. On one side of the box the hole is high the other side is low.

I then use nylon screws to seal off the holes. They will never rust or corrode.

I use an adapter that fits my grease gun from Autoprop which is 5 mm.

By putting grease in the lower hole and catching the old grease from the higher hole, I can tell when the box is full of new grease. In addition I do not have to worry about blowing the lip seal out of the gearbox.

You can also see that you have new grease and no water in the gearbox

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376