Shower in the after lazaret

Gaffney, Drew <drew.gaffney@...>

Perhaps like most SM’s, we have two hoses in the cockpit locker.  One is the “shower” which has both hot and cold water.  We use it to clean the cockpit, and take showers, sitting on the aft cabin deck.  It has a typical shower-head and an on-off valve, in addition to the typical shower hot/cold faucet handles in the compartment.  It allows showering midway between the cockpit and the stern lazarette.

We have a second hose for high-pressure seawater washdown.  It has the coiled extension hose with a nozzle.  There is a power switch in the locker which turns on the high-pressure pump mounted on the starboard side of the forward engine-room wall, outboard of the transmission oil reserve.  It reaches from the anchor chain to the stern; getting rid of mud in the former and blood and gore toward the stern while cleaning fish.  Thinking about how we use either of these hoses, I can think of several reasons why we would not want to open the stern lazarette nor have one of two hoses at the stern.  The cockpit and the aft locker drain quickly and easily; not so for the stern.

Drew

S/Y Revelation SM390

Lying Rebel Marina, Norfolk VA

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

No. 350 has both a showerhead (with the same Grohe Grohtherm 1000 [34 624] temperature thermostat/mixer as the showers below decks) and a selectable fresh water/salt water wash down outlet in the starboard lazarette/cubbyhole.

The wash down hose, which is the standard Amel green reel, reaches both the bow and aft of the boat.  So we used it once in Lettuce Lake (Fla.) to take fresh water showers in the aft area.  Unheated, of course.

Since the showerhead hose does not reach the aft area, one guest took a hot shower on the starboard deck, midway between the cockpit and the aft area.

We have never played with the hose connections, but certainly one could connect the Grohe thermostat outlet to the green reel to the showered hose?  This way hot showers could be taken in the aft area.

Cheers,

Peregrinus
SM2K No. 350
docked at Reial Club Maritim

Alan Leslie

We replaced the standard Amel cockpit locker shower hose with a curly washdown type hose with a multi head on it. It's long enough to cover the whole boat...and the water is warm if the engine has been running recently. Given that you'd have to open the lazarette to use a plumbed in shower, which doesn't leave much space on the rear deck, our curly hose is a good option.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Paul Osterberg

Hello!

We thinking of installing warm water shower in the after lazaret , but I have difficulties in finding a rout for our rather thin 12 mm Pex hose, is there any of you who have done this and can give any advice how to route the hose?

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259