[Amel Yacht Owners] Engine exaust Santorin Vagabundo

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

 Vagabundo

It is not strange and dangerous, it is the way Amel builds it. Don't worry.

Bill
BeBe 387 Currently Martinique

On Apr 5, 2016 14:01, "SN 108 Vagabundo stilemare@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Olivier,
in according with your inspection I checked the exhaust muffler output and I found a very strange (and dangerous) solution:
the exhaust tube coming from the silencer were connected directly to the hull without seacock or thru-hull, around the tube only a lot of black sika.
Which is the original system ?
I think this happened when the previous owner changed the engine.
I send you and to the yahoo owners some pics.
Br
Antonio

----------

----------

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Maybe some other boat builder would do something different,  but that other boat builder would not have a watertight engine room.

On Apr 5, 2016 17:39, "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

No thru hull fitting????  Just a hose glued into a hole in the hull??  That's how I understood the description.

On Apr 5, 2016, at 12:39, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Inviato da iPhone

joseph mc donnell

This is standard on the santorin and not a pproblem .Ive monitored ours for the last 10 yearsits still the original hose.25years old. As its Supported by a fibreglass sleeve on the inside add the fact that there is no metal reduces corosion and possible damage due to a bang. AMEL ENGINEERING..

Bill <greatketch@...>

So there IS a thru-hull fitting, in the standard installation, it is just made of fiberglass.  Nothing wrong with that. Its a good system.

The original poster needs to understand what to look for.  IF he is wrong in his description and the fiberglass insert is missing he has a problem.

On Apr 5, 2016, at 19:54, joemac4sail@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

This is standard on the santorin and not a pproblem .Ive monitored ours for the last 10 yearsits still the original hose.25years old. As its Supported by a fibreglass sleeve on the inside add the fact that there is no metal reduces corosion and possible damage due to a bang. AMEL ENGINEERING..

antonio scipioni

Good Morning,
Yes Bill, in my installation there is nothing !! No thru-hull fixed to the portside, only the tube inserted into the hull and sealed (taped) with a lot of silicon and sikaflex.
Probably this happens when the previous owner changed the engine in 2007 BUT the work was followed from VOLVO dealer in Canet en Roussillon !!???!!  I don't know IF this is original concept or so on....but is so far from my safety idea.
Buon Vento
Antonio
Vagabundo SN 108
Roma

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 06/apr/2016, alle ore 08:06, Bill greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> ha scritto:

So there IS a thru-hull fitting, in the standard installation, it is just made of fiberglass.  Nothing wrong with that. Its a good system.

The original poster needs to understand what to look for.  IF he is wrong in his description and the fiberglass insert is missing he has a problem.

On Apr 5, 2016, at 19:54, joemac4sail@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

This is standard on the santorin and not a pproblem .Ive monitored ours for the last 10 yearsits still the original hose.25years old. As its Supported by a fibreglass sleeve on the inside add the fact that there is no metal reduces corosion and possible damage due to a bang. AMEL ENGINEERING..

jjjk12s@...

Antonio,

This subject has come up before and been answered by Olivier. I just checked it on the search facility and it was last 27th January (2015). Reading that should make it clearer.

John, #91 Maramu, Popeye

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Antonio,

The original design on all Amels for many years is as you describe it, except that you did not mention that the flexible hose is reinforced from the inside with a "PVC type" of pipe. You probably did not notice that.

Just because someone says something should be one way, does not make it right. If I were you, I would trust the original Amel concept.

I hope this helps you.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 6:37 AM, SN 108 Vagabundo stilemare@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Olivier Beaute

Good evening,

I replied directly to Antonio.
The Super Maramus, Santorins and 54 have the same kind of through-hul fitting for the main engine wet exhaust hose: a tube made of GRP where the hose is set inside (or outside, see below) and glued with silicone compound.
In addition, the Super Maramus (probably since 1995) and the 54s have an anti-return flap located in a stainless steel box, right before the through-hull fitting. For these boats, the small piece of hose that connects the stainless steel box to the through-hull may be attached on the outside of the tube, with hose clamps. The box must be bonded to the zincs (yellow/green circuit).

I confirm that this system is very reliable.
It seems that on Antonio's Santorin, the GRP tube has been removed (WHY???) in order to install and glue the hose directly through the hull.
Now the original GRP tube has been removed, I advised him to install a regular stainless steel through-hull fitting as this may be easier to have properly done than the original glassed tube.
Bill, the piece of PVC tube is there because it is used as a support/frame while building the GRP tube and bonding it with the hull. The system is strong because of the GRP, not because of the PVC.

I strongly advise all of you to keep the system as it is, even if your mechanic wants to change it.

Cheers.

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 1:44 PM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your explication.
I'll follow your advice and I'll restore the original concept, I am thinking if re-laminate a grp thru-hull or a inox tube. I prefer the grp because the union between same materials is best, in this case which resin do you advice me to use polyester or epoxy ?
Viva la France !
Antonio

Inviato da iPhone

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 1:44 PM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Antonio,

isophtalic polyester or epoxy are OK. If you use epoxy, make sure to install a strong air extractor while working as epoxy releases bad volatile organic compounds.
You can use a PVC tube as support for the GRP. make sure to extend the lamination cloths to 20 cm around the base of the tube. The final thickness of the GRP tube should be 10 mm.

Bon courage.

Olivier