Volvo TMD22 engine mounts

Mike Ondra

After completing our passage of 1500nm including 130 hrs with a knocking in the auxiliary system except at a sweet spot at 1450RPM, we’ve identified the culprit in the starboard aft motor mount. Apparently severed.

The Vetus type Mitsteun appears to be the exact part but the description seems to indicate application for a smaller engine. Reads as follows; “This hydro-damper is a combination of a conventional rubber-metal damper and a hydraulic shock absorber. Especially for engines with 1, 2 or 3 cylinders, producing many horizontal and vertical movements, the VETUS hydro-damper is an absolute sensation: the reduction of vibration and noise is truly staggering. The maximum static load per support is 60 kg and the maximum thrust per support is 50 kg. In other words: dependent on gearbox ratio, number of revolutions, propeller diameter etc., these mountings are suitable for engines of up to 18 - 26 kW (25 - 35 HP).”

The TMD22 weighs around 220KG but these 4 mounts also support the steel frame and some of the c-drive. The spacing of the mounts fore and aft would seem to put more load on the forward mounts than the aft.

Anyway, while the HP rating on the mounts seems light, the fact that they are original equipment would indicate they are proper. Available from Defender for $185 ea.

I am just looking for confirmation that this is the right part.

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240, Rock Hall, MD

Craig Briggs

Hi Mike,
There was good discussion on this last July as Patrick was getting going on replacing - you can check those posts. Bottom line was that the Vetus specs you're reading are for a conventional engine installation, where the mounts are taking the full thrust and torque of the engine, whereas our Amel installation has no thrust load on the engine mounts and little torque load. Once again, the Captain got it right.
Cheers,
Craig Briggs, SN68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <mdondra@...> wrote :

[...]

test

Mike Ondra

QUESTIONS

We notice that the engine is quite stationary trough wide RPM range when transmission not engaged. When moving under power, the engine/c-drive assembly vibration/oscillation seems to be in the neighborhood of 1/8". The motion is visible, but no vibration transmits to the vessel. Is this typical, or an indication of poor alignment of the engine/c-drive? Or other cause. Or is the well balance power train perfectly stationary when motoring?

THE REST OF THE STORY

As a follow up to this posting we did purchase new engine mounts from Jamestown Distributors in Bristol, RI. $168 ea. identical to the original VETUS-MITSTEUN. The installation went well following the aggregated advice of many on the BB. Pat (Shenanigans) provided a 4x4 to span between the cockpit coamings and a come-along made the engine lift easy. We found we had to unbolt the engine from the frame (4 bolts) to slide it aft far enough (1/2") to disconnect the bolts between the coupling and the transmission output shaft flange. Then raised the engine about 3".

After disconnecting the 4 bolts supporting the C-drive to its frame, the entire frame assembly could be easily lifted off the 4 bad engine mounts for removal. We had no bolts seized or difficult to remove. No wires were disconnected and the only hose requiring removal was the seawater feeding the transmission heat exchanger. (that hose was replaced with black exhaust hose 1-1/4" which fit perfectly on both ends. Our marina indicated that the OEM plastic hose is no longer rated for below waterline.)

There seemed to be little opportunity in the reassembly process for re-alignment horizontally. the only slotted holes being in those in the engine mounts and the amount was minimal, a couple mm. Vertically we attempted to place the leveling nuts on the replacement mounts exactly where there were on the old measuring from the top down as the old were now variably slightly shorter (perhaps compression over time).

The bushings on the Vetus coupling were completely worn through on one side resulting in a metal to metal contact and a bit of metal wear. We inserted new bushings.

Everything was reassembled all bolts/nuts slightly loose. The engine slid forward and after loosely bolting to the coupling, alignment looked pretty good, not technically measured. The coupling bolts were tightened. With all other bolts loose, we started the engine and engaged the transmission briefly forward and aft under the theory with the bolts loose that the assembly would "settle in". And it did seem to. Again the alignment looked OK. At that point all bolts were tightened. We did not do a precision feeler gauge test nor did we adjust the leveling nuts.  Total job about 6 hours with 2 of us.

Anyway the new mounts and coupling bushings took care of our knocking sound as well as a generally reduced vibration and engine noise.