From: 'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Mon, May 2, 2016 10:39 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvo TMD22 engine mounts

After completing our passage of 1500nm including 130 hrs with a knocking in the auxiliary system except at a sweet spot at 1450RPM, we’ve identified the culprit in the starboard aft motor mount. Apparently severed.
The Vetus type Mitsteun appears to be the exact part but the description seems to indicate application for a smaller engine. Reads as follows; “This hydro-damper is a combination of a conventional rubber-metal damper and a hydraulic shock absorber. Especially for engines with 1, 2 or 3 cylinders, producing many horizontal and vertical movements, the VETUS hydro-damper is an absolute sensation: the reduction of vibration and noise is truly staggering. The maximum static load per support is 60 kg and the maximum thrust per support is 50 kg. In other words: dependent on gearbox ratio, number of revolutions, propeller diameter etc., these mountings are suitable for en gines of up to 18 - 26 kW (25 - 35 HP).”
The TMD22 weighs around 220KG but these 4 mounts also support the steel frame and some of the c-drive. The spacing of the mounts fore and aft would seem to put more load on the forward mounts than the aft.
Anyway, while the HP rating on the mounts seems light, the fact that they are original equipment would indicate they are proper. Available from Defender for $185 ea.
I am just looking for confirmation that this is the right part.
Thanks,
Mike Ondra
ALETES SM#240, Rock Hall, MD

Mike Ondra

Thanks Pat. If you have extra rail bolts we would be happy to purchase 8.

Did you have any concerns about the weight rating of these Vetus mounts?

Mike

Mike , Jamestown marine has the mounts for $168.00 . If I can do anything to facilitate the delivery of the mounts to you , let me know. I think I bought the bolts from Mc Master -Carr , and had to buy a bag of them. I know I gave Gary Wells eight of the bolts at the Annapolis boat show. I will check to see if I have eight left.

Pat