[Amel Yacht Owners] fouling inside the main mast

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Hi if you have a good size fish hook fish it out using very heavy line or a very strong leader attached to a 1/4 line set the hook and boat the halyard. Good luck.

Fair Winds Smooth Sailing To All
Capt Richard
RP Yacht Brokerage
Newport RI
We list sell and service fine yachts including Amel's
Cell 603 767 5330

On May 16, 2016, at 07:11, 'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

During a storm at night I furled the jib not having earlier in the day noticed that a crewmember had secured the ballooner halyard without retrieving the dehooker, leaving the halyard in place on the swivel. The furling motor is plenty strong and the halyard parted at the top and fell inside the mast. The line is now fouled inside the mast and cannot be pulled down and out.  We have sent a messenger down inside the mast, tied it to the halyard and tried to pull the halyard line back up to reverse the direction of pull. Still fouled. Based upon the amount of halyard that is free both pulling up and pulling down, the foul point seems to be about at the lower spreader height.

Does anyone know what is inside the mast that could foul a falling line? Is there perhaps a compression strut athwartships inside the mast bracing the thrust of the spreaders that the halyard may be hanging on? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240, Rock Hall, MD

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

This is very interesting, but:

Richard,

How do you know what you will hook using a fishing hook inside the mast? What do you do if you hook the wrong thing? It is hooked!

Mike,

How were you able to tie a messenger to the halyard inside the mast? I thought the halyard had dropped and fouled inside the mast.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 16, 2016 7:18 AM, "Richard03801 richard03801@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

James Alton

Mike,

   It does sound like the broken haylard has taken a wrap around something inside the mast.  I am guessing that you have applied a bit of force and found that it is not moving, so a straight line pull is possibly tightening the jam.   If there is room to do so,  consider feeding a semi rigid (use something slippery like polyethylene if possible)  pc. of tubing inside the mast.  Ideally you would run the tail of the halyard through the tubing so that it would follow right up to the jammed spot and make the line/tubing combo semi rigid.  This would allow you to alternately push and pull on the line..maybe enough to free it.  If there is not room to run the line inside of the tubing perhaps use a different entry hole in the mast and a loop attached to the tubing that the halyard ran through. The loop would act as a guide to bring the tubing again up to the jammed spot.  I would make sure that whatever you put in there is good and secure so that it cannot come loose.

   If this fails, consider removing any hardware in the jammed area that would allow you to insert a boroscope and get a look at what the problem is.

  I agree, the fish hook idea sounds a little risky to me.

Best of luck!

James

On May 16, 2016, at 8:38 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill,

We lowered a messenger down the mast no problem to the point where the halyard leaves the mast at the bottom. Pulled it out and secured it to the bottom part of the halyard and then pulled it back up the mast. The thought was that perhaps the falling halyard had draped itself over something (possible strut across the mast, and that by pulling the bottom back up the mast we would “un-drape” it. The fact that the messenger went down on the first attempt would seem to indicate that the line wasn’t “piled up” and blocking the messenger’s decent. If indeed there is a strut across the mast, it could be that the falling halyard is draped on one side, and the dropping messenger came down on the same side so that when raising the bottom end we actually wrapped the halyard around the strut rather than “undraping” it. Sorry if this sounds confusing, a diagram would help. If I knew what was inside the mast it might help in devising another solution.

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240, Rock Hall, MD

On May 16, 2016 7:18 AM, "Richard03801 richard03801@yahoo.com [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi if you have a good size fish hook fish it out using very heavy line or a very strong leader attached to a 1/4 line set the hook and boat the halyard. Good luck.

Fair Winds Smooth Sailing To All

Capt Richard

RP Yacht Brokerage

Newport RI

We list sell and service fine yachts including Amel's

Cell 603 767 5330 <tel:603%20767%205330>

On May 16, 2016, at 07:11, 'Mike Ondra' mdondra@verizon.net [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Now, I completely understand what you did.

Could it be that the halyard is wrapped vertically around either another halyard or the wire conduit? That halyard would have sprung like a snapped bungee when it broke and vertical wrapping is not out of the realm of possibilities.

I don't know how to solve it if it is vertically wrapped around the conduit, but if it is vertically wrapped around another halyard you should be able to tell by moving the other halyard and observing the bitter end of the broken halyard.

If it is vertically wrapped around the conduit, maybe you have to abandon the broken halyard as long as you can run a messenger for a new halyard and there is no interference with any other halyard. Of course, you and I would wonder about future entanglements.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 16, 2016 8:22 AM, "'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for you observations, Bill. I would hope that Amel would have secured the electrical conduit against the inside wall of the mast and therefore vertical wrap not possible. Not sure how that would have been accomplished.

The idea of a strut inside the mast between the spreaders makes structural sense and would potentially snag a falling line if it came down on the “wrong” side.

It would be helpful to know the interior construction of the mast. I think I remember seeing a photo of a piece of mast showing the cross section, but cannot find it on the Bulletin Board. Ultimately may need to look inside with an endoscope.

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240, Rock Hall, MD

[...]

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Mike,

When you get the ballooner halyard out of the mast , you might change it to vectran with a snap shackle on it. I spoke to olivier tears ago and he said that the existing halyard is not strong enough for a sail halyard even though the sheaves are of sufficient strength.

I have been using this setup for years and it is great to have another halyard. A little modification  the hooker and the mouse lines is necessary.

Good luck with the retrieval-

I had posted drawings of the mast cross section on the photos section.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Send me your email address and I will email you the cross section.

[...]

Eric. Email mdondra at Verizon.net. thanks

[...]

Olivier Beaute

Good evening Mike,

there are indeed two "struts" inside the mast. The forward support of each pair of spreaders is one only piece of aluminum installed through both side skins of the profile and welded outside (in order they don't move). So you have that alu bar across the tube. This may catch your halyard.
The wires ducts (there are two of them) are built in the profile, from top to bottom. They are part of the extrusion, so, no way for the halyard to get caught in these ducts.

Give me an e-mail address and I will send you a sketch of the profile.

The only way to get your halyard back is to pull it (with the winch). But first, ease the tension on the other two halyards, make sure they are really free, so that they cannot put a pressure on the ballooner halyard and prevent it from moving.

What is the length of the halyard that you have on deck. The total length is about 40m.

If you pull hard on the halyard, it may break. The piece of halyard remaining then in the mast will not disturb the mainsail and genoa halyards, but could be a problem for re-installing a new ballooner halyard.
As you mentioned that you could send a messenger line from top to bottom, there shouldn't be any problem to install a new halyard.
The only problem you could face is when you need to bring the mainsail down, when you make an extension to the halyard. Make sure the connection is straight (no knot, but a stitch of both ends, covered with adhesive tape.

Good luck!

Olivier.

[...]

If one had a bore scope you just might be able to see the snag and have a better idea as to how to clear it.

[...]

Excellent description to clarify what’s inside the mast. It may be early June until we get back to this project and I will report findings when we find the solution.

Thank you all for your comments.

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240, Rock Hall, MD