[Amel Yacht Owners] AMFA Marina bilge pump

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Ben,

The most common cause of a failure of the Marina pumps is not the diaphragm or the flapper valves. It is caused because the hose gets old and hard and does not seal well on the pump. If that hose has never been replaced, replace it and use 2 hose clamps and some silicone grease inside the hose.

The second probable cause is that there are some inferior after-market repair kits out there. They will not last long. Get your kit from SAV"at"amel.fr.

The third probable cause is that the diaphragm should only be placed on the pump with the
"water" side facing the water. When opening a new kit, be sure not to accidentally remove the water-side label.

Let me know if any of these suggestions help you.

Best,

Bill
BeBe 387
Carriacou

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 12:11 PM, joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I used my last AMFA rebuild kit so now have two non functioning bilge pumps.  Can anyone recommend a source for rebuild kits or nitrol diaphragms?  Or can anyone recommend a replacement pump in the event kits are not available?

Ben Driver

La Bella Vita

SM #347

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Gang,

When the yard in Turkey blew up my pump, they replaced it with a Vetus…  Mounted against the starboard side of the engine battery box (located in the engine bay on Eleuthera) (plug and play and works perfectly with the float switch)

I also ordered spare membranes and duck bills.  Recently, it tripped the breaker and I dismantled it to find a bushing had fractured internally and allowed the armature to short against the housing.

I bought a new one and installed it and ….kept all the spares for future use.

GL,

Sidebar… a 64 parked next to us last evening.  It is massive compared to ours!!!  All sorts of teak on deck, this makes it a non starter for me!

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 21 May 2016, at 14:36, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Posted by: "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...>

Upgrade your account with the latest Yahoo Mail app
Get organized with the fast and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail app. Upgrade today!

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Hi that 64 with the teak is not standard AMEL it is a option that I don't think AMEL will offer going forward.

Fair Winds Smooth Sailing To All
Capt Richard
RP Yacht Brokerage
Newport RI
We list sell and service fine yachts including Amel's
Cell 603 767 5330

On May 21, 2016, at 11:01, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

gegcarter@...

Hello All

By chance my A.M.F.A sump pump stopped working this morning...  I removed the top cover (housing the place where the circular motion of the motor is converted into the lateral pumping action) and saw that although the motor was running, the cam lever was only moving occasionally.  I dismantled the other side and it looks like the white nylon 'cog' that engages with the worm is slipping on the central bronze wheel which connects with the cam.
  • My white nylon cog has a small gap.  Is it broken or is it supposed to have a gap in it, to allow it to be assembled with the bronze wheel?
  • Is this part replaceable?
  • Having dismantled the pump unnecessarily once before (I wish I had seen BIll's comment about changing the hoses back then...), I am loath to fiddle - but should I be servicing this pump in any other way as I have it off the boat?
Keith Carter
SM 261 GUMA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <richard03801@...> wrote :

[...]

Craig Briggs

Hi Keith,
I had that problem some years ago. The nylon gear ring goes around the inner nylon drive disc and relies on a fine toothed spline to keep it from slipping. With time that spline slips occasionally, which you've observed.
What I did was take a 1/16th inch drill, drill through the valley of the gear teeth and into the center disc, then back out the drill bit a little, break it off and shove it back down so it was flush. (You could use a nail or something else) I did that in three spots around the gear. It has worked perfectly for many years now.
Cheers,
Craig Briggs, SN#68, Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <gegcarter@...> wrote :

[...]

Keith,

The gap that you see in that white nylon gear is a missing/broken gear tooth. You need to replace the gear.

The only place in the world that I know for sure that had some of these gears for the gray water sump pump was EMEK Marine in Gocek Turkey. Email Riza at cagdas@....

I was told that this gear assembly was also used in some Mercedes models to control the windshield wipers. I do not know the model.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

[...]

Per a post I made a couple of years ago (19271): "when mine failed it was that the outer ring of gear teeth began to slip around the inner driven disc. The gear is actually two pieces with a toothed ring simply pressed over the center disc and a finely ridged surface on each keeps it from slipping.
The fix was easy by drilling with a 1/16 inch (1.5-ish mm) drill bit through the gear ring at the lowest spot of the valley between two teeth and into the center disc. Then I broke off the drill bit so the broken off part acted as a pin preventing the gear ring from spinning on the inner disc. (File off any little bit still sticking out.)  I did this at three points around the gear ring (1/16 inch bits are cheap). That was 8 years ago and it's still going strong."
As to the gap, yes, there was a gap between the outer gear ring and the inner drive disc, if that's what you mean. I suspect it was not there originally, but developed over the years as the outer ring gave a bit with wear fatigue.
Cheers,
Craig Briggs SN#68, Sangaris

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

A friend just told that AMFA was bought by a french company.
He obtained parts (for his 54's bilge pump) from:

SEIMI
Rue Alain Colas
29200 Brest
02 98 46 11 02
FRANCE

The teflon wheel (for the pomp un the 54) is:
Ref 1122338

Hope that helps.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico

I used my last AMFA rebuild kit so now
have two non functioning bilge pumps.  Can anyone recommend
a source for rebuild kits or nitrol diaphragms?  Or can
anyone recommend a replacement pump in the event kits are
not available?
Ben
DriverLa Bella
VitaSM #347

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi, I got my replacement gear from Amel.
Regards
Danny SM 299 Ocean Pearl (departing NZ for Fiji in a couple of weeks)

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

[...]

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

Turns out I had two very poor quality repair  kits.  Neither one had mating S for water side of diaphragm .  I  ordered two new from Amel.

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
CG #1120066
SM #347

On May 21, 2016, at 8:36 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

As I suspected. Unfortunately there are some very poor quality repair kits out there. The ones from Amel will last 5-6 years.

I am glad this issue was solved.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet