Topics

VP TMD 22P

jjjk12s@...

Paul,

To answer your question about the starter motor, I think you'll find the isolated ground doesn't make a difference. If my memory serves me correctly (at least on the Perkins) the ignition switch operates a relay to temporarily ground the engine so the starter works rather than having a positive and negative lead to the starter (easy enough to check by looking at it). Another relay does the same for the glow plugs and another for the stop solenoid.

Be a bit careful crossing over Perkins and Volvo parts. I believe one of the differences between the Perkins and the Volvo is that the wiring is quite different and suspect the same goes for the seawater system. As mentioned already the same basic engine applies across Perkins M50 or M60 (different top RPM) equivalent to the non turbo Volvo MD22 and the Perkins M80T is equivalent to the turbo Volvo TMD22. Filters, timing belt parts, gaskets etc should be fine.

I would guess the starter is a standard Lucas one and would be available from an autoelectrician but haven't tried it.

John, Popeye, Maramu #91

Philipp Sollberger

Hi

I have also a Perkins M80T which is equivalent to the TMD22 A. For me it is not clear if I can order filter for oil and fuel from Perkins or from Volvo. Perkins is much cheaper. Till now I didn't have any problems. I have ordered always from the big online broker parts4engine from UK. If I need to order for Volvo, then I have to order from the broker from the Netherlands which is at the moment much more expensive.
Does anybody know which is best for what?

Thanks to all for any answer or suggestions which are highly apreciated.

Philipp
Félicie, Switzerland, SM #124

 Hi Philipp,

 You might try a Volvo garage---often the marine and road filters are the same, but the road ones can be much cheaper. Volvo know how much more precious a boat is to its owner than a truck....

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece

I have also a Perkins M80T which is equivalent to the TMD22 A. For me it is not clear if I can order filter for oil and fuel from Perkins or from Volvo. Perkins is much cheaper. Till now I didn't have any problems. I have ordered always from the big online broker parts4engine from UK. If I need to order for Volvo, then I have to order from the broker from the Netherlands which is at the moment much more expensive.
Does anybody know which is best for what?

Thanks to all for any answer or suggestions which are highly apreciated.

Philipp
Félicie, Switzerland, SM #124

Ryan Meador

Our boat has the TMD22P.  I've been using Fram PH8A oil filters, which are a generic brand of the same size.  I can find them in most auto parts stores for less than $10.  The fuel filter is slightly harder to come by; I had to order online.  I have both Fram P8043 and Sierra 18-7942 which are equivalent.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 11:12 AM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:
[...]

John Clark

Right any Auto parts store can cross reference the numbers and sell you the local equivalent.  I got filters in Martinique based on the US part number of the old filter.