From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 8:14 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dessalator 160 causes generator to shutdown but no breakers thrown

Dessalator 160 causes generator to shutdown but no breakers thrown.  I can run all - 3 airs, charger, washer - simultaneity.  But when Dessalator is turned on generator shuts down.  No breakers on inside panel or on generator are thrown; generator just shuts down. I can restart immediately but as soon as Dessalator is started it shuts down again.

I tried turning all off including charger and turning Dessalator alone on but same thing.  Specifically, when I turn on unit low pressure pump starts up and pressure gauge is in green.. It runs for a few seconds until high pressure pump starts which immediately causes generator to shut down.  I never touch the high pressure control knob which is turned all the way counterclockwise so there should be no pressure.

It seems as no breakers are thrown on either generator or Dessalator, this must be water flow related.  That is, not enough flow for both generator and Dessalator .  By the way, system has new high pressure hoses and membranes and worked well during first use after new membranes filling tank with good water just last week. However it did shut down once for no apparent reason on initial use.

I could use some team help.

Thanks

Ben Driver

La Bella Vita

SM #347

Dominica

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

No. Only that generator shuts down

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
CG #1120066
SM #347

On May 30, 2016, at 8:16 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Do you know how much current the water maker is drawing just before it shuts down?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

eric freedman

I would check the capacitors on the high pressure pump.

That’s my best guess- unless there is a short in the motor or wiring.

[...]

I'm pretty sure unit draws 15 amps so at startup maybe 25 momentarily .. Not enough to throw a breaker, but breakers ar never thrown .  Generator just shuts down.

[...]

karkauai

I don't understand how a faulty motor causes the generator to shut down without throwing a breaker.  Can someone elucidate?
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

[...]

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Kent,

I am not exactly sure of the answer, but I witnessed this exact occurrence after a SM owner wired the new capacitors on the pump motor wrong.

Here is what happened: The Onan momentarily struggled when the HP pump turned ON after the 2 minute timer, then shut down.

Possibly the computer on the Onan senses a demand that is outside of its capacity and shuts down before the breaker reaches the capacity. But, I am not sure. Computers on diesels are a wonderful thing. Be sure to than the US EPA!

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 30, 2016 11:24 AM, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Hi. Kent there is a high load/ draw on the generator motor that is over powering the diesel. It's not a short if it went on long enough he'd have an over heat blown breaker. Second if the motor started is bad and the motor draws are high the heat build up in the motor will cause issues.
Without doing some detailed trouble shooting on site it's tough to determine the cause. That said I'd ck the capacitors/condensers first.

Fair Winds Smooth Sailing To All
Capt Richard
RP Yacht Brokerage
Newport RI
We list sell and service fine yachts including Amel's
Cell 603 767 5330

[...]

Thanks Bill and Richard.  Obviously beyond my pay grade.
Kent