[Amel Yacht Owners] Dessalator 160 causes generator to shutdown but no breakers thrown

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Ben,

OK, you know how difficult it is to diagnose something by email, but, I will risk being wrong:
Your problem is centered around the High Pressure pump motor. I am going to guess that the pair of condensers on top of that motor are either bad or there is a short in the wiring there.

I saw the exact symptoms on another 160L SM. The guy had recently changed the condensers and wired them wrong. I assume that you have not changed anything so I assume either bad condensers or a short. Of course you could have an electric motor problem, but check out the condensers.

Floow this link for additional info:

Let me know if this helps.

Bill
BeBe 387
Carriacou

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 12:13 PM, joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dessalator 160 causes generator to shutdown but no breakers thrown.  I can run all - 3 airs, charger, washer - simultaneity.  But when Dessalator is turned on generator shuts down.  No breakers on inside panel or on generator are thrown; generator just shuts down. I can restart immediately but as soon as Dessalator is started it shuts down again.

I tried turning all off including charger and turning Dessalator alone on but same thing.  Specifically, when I turn on unit low pressure pump starts up and pressure gauge is in green.. It runs for a few seconds until high pressure pump starts which immediately causes generator to shut down.  I never touch the high pressure control knob which is turned all the way counterclockwise so there should be no pressure.

It seems as no breakers are thrown on either generator or Dessalator, this must be water flow rela ted.  That is, not enough flow for both generator and Dessalator .  By the way, system has new high pressure hoses and membranes and worked well during first use after new membranes filling tank with good water just last week. However it did shut down once for no apparent reason on initial use.

I could use some team help.

Thanks

Ben Driver

La Bella Vita

SM #347

Dominica

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

I will check out those condensers.  I just don't know how generator can shut down without throwing a breaker?

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
CG #1120066
SM #347

On May 30, 2016, at 8:23 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Does the onan have a protection system that shuts it down if the salt water cooling has inadequate flow? If so this could be the cause as the dessalator takes water from the same source, the sea chest.
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

[...]

Good point, Danny. The Onan that Ben has is probably the same model as BeBe.

Ben, you never mentioned any error code, so assumed there was no error code. Was there an error code? Insufficient water flow is 7 blinks. Did you have this error?

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 30, 2016 3:44 PM, "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Ben;

I just went through the exact same problem with our 150 l/hr Dessalator on our 54. I contacted MARTIN the main tech for Dessalator and we diagnosed the problem to the control box inside the high pressure pump. I'm not sure which HP pump you have, ours has the LaFert 2,2 HP pump (if I remember correctly). Inside the box on top of the pump there are two capacitors and one proprietary controller. One of the capacitors is for startup and the other one is for making sure the motor spin direction is correct. The controller controls the time and which capacitor is charged and discharged. I did not get into the Intricate details of exactly how everything works.

Once I changed the controller, everything worked fine. Martin is a very knowledgable person and knows the Dessalator system inside out and I would suggest you call him to debug the problem. He is also a very nice person that speaks fluent English. His number is +33 6 07 34 65 11.

Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
AMEL 54 #99

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

Hi Bill
Where would I see that error code? My generator does not have an LCD/LED Panel but just  a start /stop rocker switch with one orange light.  There is hour meter but no others

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347
6S

[...]

Where would I see that error code? My generator does not have an LCD/LED Panel but just  a start rocker switch with one red light.  There is hour meter but no others

[...]

When you press the rocker to Start the orange light blinks orange the turns to green when the Onan is running. That is the light that will blink an error code after a computer commanded shutdown.

Do you have the Onan Owner's manual? I can scan some pages for you.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 31, 2016 8:12 AM, "Ben Driver joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bill.  I do have the manual.  I'll look it up.  Heading to Martinique today so I can get help from Dessalator rep there if needed. I believe it is Caraibe Marine.
Ben

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
CG #1120066
SM #347

[...]

Thanks Bill.  I will check out those condensers.  I just don't know how generator can shut down without throwing a breaker?

[...]

I am not sure who is the Dessalator rep. Be sure to go into the Amel shop at la Marina du Marin and ask Caroline.

I heard some not-good reports about watermaker service on an older SM. I am not sure who he used. I will try to get an answer, but I would trust Amel Caribe.

BTW, du Marin has an unbelievable monthly rate which is about 30 euro more than their weekly rate...it is about 560 euro/month including electricity. To get that rate you are supposed to reserve by email. The email address is: contact"at"marina-martinique.fr
Ask for Pontoon 4 which is the Amel Pontoon.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

Thanks Bill.  I do have the manual.  I'll look it up.  Heading to Martinique today so I can get help from Dessalator rep there if needed. I believe it is Caraibe Marine.
Ben

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
CG #1120066
SM #347

On May 31, 2016, at 8:37 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

> Ben,
>
> When you press the rocker to Start the orange light blinks orange the turns to green when the Onan is running. That is the light that will blink an error code after a computer commanded shutdown.
>
> Do you have the Onan Owner's manual? I can scan some pages for you.
>
> Bill Rouse
> BeBe Amel 53 #387
> Sent from my tablet
> +1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail
>
> On May 31, 2016 8:12 AM, "Ben Driver joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

>> Hi Bill
>> Where would I see that error code? My generator does not have an LCD/LED Panel but just  a start /stop rocker switch with one orange light.  There is hour meter but no others
>>
>> Ben Driver
>> La Bella Vita
>> SM #347
>>6S
>>

>> On May 30, 2016, at 3:52 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
>>

>>> Good point, Danny. The Onan that Ben has is probably the same model as BeBe.
>>>
>>> Ben, you never mentioned any error code, so assumed there was no error code. Was there an error code? Insufficient water flow is 7 blinks. Did you have this error?
>>>
>>> Bill Rouse
>>> BeBe Amel 53 #387
>>> Sent from my tablet
>>> +1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

That Onan generator will purposely shutdown under about 12 conditions if the computer senses a shutdown condition. It could also be a bad computer.

Be sure to check or replace the two condensers on the High Pressure pump motor.

And be sure to check for a shutdown code after the next shutdown. Read the manual.

The light on the rocker is the light that blinks after shutdown. This is assuming you have the same model Onan as BeBe...your hull number is close enough to assume that.

Good luck.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 31, 2016 2:27 PM, "Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill,

There is no blinking code to signify low water flow or anything else but I believe  you are right about the condensers .  I checked and one apparently  exploded leaving a gray plastic like material atop the pump.  It is not unusual for capacitors to pop and they can be replaced.  I'm at Amel in Martinique so perhaps they can steer me to a supplier .  I think Cariebe Marine is local Dessalator rep.  Thanks for your guidance; you were exactly right on this one.

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
CG #1120066
SM #347

On May 31, 2016, at 3:00 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Frank is the electrician for Amel in Martinique. I am sure he can get you these capacitors. And I am now 99% sure that was your problem. There is a photo in the Photo section of the Owners Group website that illustrates how these should be wired.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail