[Amel Yacht Owners] Kent !!!

karkauai

Hi Enio et al.
I had a Sterling charger/inverter that was installed by an American marine electrician.  I didn't understand the Amel system at the time and went along with the electrician, who connected that grounding screw to the bonding system as shown in the instructions.  Bad move!!!

After a few months of apparently normal charging at the dock (I visited the boat twice a month) I found the batteries cooked.  I was lucky I didn't have a fire.  After changing the batteries it was obvious that the Sterling had failed and over-charged the batteries.  I checked with Sterling and they don't have a repair facility in the US.  It would have cost an arm and a leg to send it back to England.  I replaced it with a 60 A Charles charger with the idea that I would get another charger/inverter in the near future.  The new charger was also "grounded " to the bonding system.

A few months later with everything apparently working correctly, I hauled out to repainted the bottom.  I discovered that the zincs were gone(after only a couple of months), and while changing the prop seals I found that a third of the prop shaft was eaten away by electrolysis just aft of the "wearing out" bushing's o-ring.

A year and $20K later I had a new CDrive, and was much wiser about the Amel electrical systems.

There is a loooong thread about this about 2 years ago.

In short (well, too late for that) I found several things attached to the bonding system that should not have been.  These had been done both before and after I bought the boat and were generally done by ABYC standards.

After months of looking, I have been unable to identify all battery-to-bonding connections and still have voltage between the negative battery pole and the 
engine block.  

I purchased a silver/silver chloride reference electrode to keep track of my hull potential, and it always reads as it should, with all electrical equipment off, and with all equipment running.  My zincs are lasting six months or more again.

I have decided NOT to replace the charger/inverter.  There are apparently internal connections that are not compatible with Amel practice.  If I want to run the microwave or make a pot of coffee, I run the genset.

Do NOT connect the Sterling or any other battery charger to the bonding system!  Until you understand this fully, I recommend that you have all electrical installations done by an Amel yard, or someone who does.

Sorry for the long answer, but I'm still reeling over the errors made by supposedly knowledgeable electricians.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy
"Currently" Bonaire (~:

On May 30, 2016, at 9:28 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

Do you want to pipe in here

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 9:26 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] correct installation of a new charger

Good afternoon everybody.

I replaced the old battery charger TECSUP with a more powerful Sterling. This has a screw on the casing wich I believe will serve to be connected to the earth of the boat.  What should I do? Put a wire to be connected at any point of the bonding system, it is correct? 

And what problems there might be unless I connect it?

Thanks for your help. Enio

rossienio@...

Hi Kent, thanks for the warning. I have now installed the Sterling charger (without inverter) and without connection to the bonding system. But even so, when the charger is working, I find voltage (2.8V) between the engine block and the generator which is connected to its own battery, but loaded by the same Sterling. If the Sterling is off everything is ok. Mystery!!!!!

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

A rather good description of why floating grounds are important, how they are different than bonding systems, and why the two should never meet can be found here:

http://www.marinesurvey.com/yacht/ElectricalSystems.htm

If you can’t find an electrician who is “Amel savvy”, find one who is used to working on boats with aluminum hulls.  They have similar systems with the DC ground totally isolated from the hull. Unfortunately, those can be as hard to find in the US as ones with Amel knowledge.

On May 30, 2016, at 11:53, rossienio@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent, thanks for the warning. I have now installed the Sterling charger (without inverter) and without connection to the bonding system. But even so, when the charger is working, I find voltage (2.8V) between the engine block and the generator which is connected to its own battery, but loaded by the same Sterling. If the Sterling is off everything is ok. Mystery!!!!!

rossienio@...

Thanks friends for all details. But I'm not able to find a qualified electrician able to know the electrical system of an Amel boat, nor are able to figure it out myself. But I need to know if I have to connect somewhere the Sterling heart or not. Can someone tell me somethings in addiction to formal notice of Kent (thank you Kent) connect the host to the bonding system?  Thanks  Enio 

karkauai

Enio,
I would not connect anything to the "grounding" screw for now.  It should work fine.  If you think there might be a problem with the charger before you can find a qualified electrician, check with your multimeter for voltage between the case and the engine block before you touch anything that might give you a shock...or better yet, just charge with your engine until you find the right electrician.

My charger is NOT grounded to anything now.

I'm not an expert by any means, so please feel free to critique my advice, anyone.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy
"Currently" Bonaire

On May 30, 2016, at 3:07 PM, rossienio@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks friends for all details. But I'm not able to find a qualified electrician able to know the electrical system of an Amel boat, nor are able to figure it out myself. But I need to know if I have to connect somewhere the Sterling heart or not. Can someone tell me somethings in addiction to formal notice of Kent (thank you Kent) connect the host to the bonding system?  Thanks  Enio 

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Good advice, Kent.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 30, 2016 5:09 PM, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Enio,
I would not connect anything to the "grounding" screw for now.  It should work fine.  If you think there might be a problem with the charger before you can find a qualified electrician, check with your multimeter for voltage between the case and the engine block before you touch anything that might give you a shock...or better yet, just charge with your engine until you find the right electrician.

I'm not an expert by any means, so please feel free to critique my advice, anyone.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy
"Currently" Bonaire

On May 30, 2016, at 3:07 PM, rossienio@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks friends for all details. But I'm not able to find a qualified electrician able to know the electrical system of an Amel boat, nor are able to figure it out myself. But I need to know if I have to connect somewhere the Sterling heart or not. Can someone tell me somethings in addiction to formal notice of Kent (thank you Kent) connect the host to the bonding system?  Thanks  Enio 

Andrew & Kate Lamb

If you check that there is no continuity between the AC grounding (green/yellow) and the charger case AND there is no continuity between DC -ve and the charger case then it may be OK to connect it to the boat bonding. I would agree that the safest bet is to not connect the charger case to anything. 

The article that Bill Kinsey provided a link to is very good. Interesting that it says "Do you have wires attached to sea cocks with hose clamps? Forget it. This is putting stainless and copper together, which are galvanically incompatible and it won't work" - I found Amel had done this on a cock I changed under the holding tank in the forward head at the weekend.

Andrew
SM 472

Canet en Roussillon

On 30 May 2016, at 23:11, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good advice, Kent.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet

On May 30, 2016 5:09 PM, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Enio,
I would not connect anything to the "grounding" screw for now.  It should work fine.  If you think there might be a problem with the charger before you can find a qualified electrician, check with your multimeter for voltage between the case and the engine block before you touch anything that might give you a shock...or better yet, just charge with your engine until you find the right electrician.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy
"Currently" Bonaire

Thanks friends for all details. But I'm not able to find a qualified electrician able to know the electrical system of an Amel boat, nor are able to figure it out myself. But I need to know if I have to connect somewhere the Sterling heart or not. Can someone tell me somethings in addiction to formal notice of Kent (thank you Kent) connect the host to the bonding system?  Thanks  Enio 

eric freedman

Amel connected almost of the bonding on Kimberlite with S/S hose clamps.

Haven’t had a problem in 14 years.

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Kent !!!

If you check that there is no continuity between the AC grounding (green/yellow) and the charger case AND there is no continuity between DC -ve and the charger case then it may be OK to connect it to the boat bonding. I would agree that the safest bet is to not connect the charger case to anything. 

The article that Bill Kinsey provided a link to is very good. Interesting that it says "Do you have wires attached to sea cocks with hose clamps? Forget it. This is putting stainless and copper together, which are galvanically incompatible and it won't work" - I found Amel had done this on a cock I changed under the holding tank in the forward head at the weekend.

Andrew

SM 472

Canet en Roussillon

On 30 May 2016, at 23:11, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good advice, Kent.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet

Enio,

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

"Currently" Bonaire

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Yes I am not sure how else one would connect them, perhaps with a copper tie rather than S/S certainly one of the wires looked very corroded.

Andrew
SM 472

On 31 May 2016, at 05:28, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 11:25 PM

Andrew

SM 472

Canet en Roussillon

Good advice, Kent.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet

Enio,

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

"Currently" Bonaire

Proper seacocks have screw posts for terminating the wires with crimped on terminals.

It’s not perfect, the terminals need to be renewed every few years, especially if they get damp with salt water, but it is better than hose clamps.

On May 30, 2016, at 23:48, Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Yes I am not sure how else one would connect them, perhaps with a copper tie rather than S/S certainly one of the wires looked very corroded.

Andrew
SM 472

On 31 May 2016, at 05:28, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 11:25 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Kent !!!

Andrew

SM 472

Canet en Roussillon

On 30 May 2016, at 23:11, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good advice, Kent.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet

On May 30, 2016 5:09 PM, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Enio,

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

"Currently" Bonaire

On May 30, 2016, at 3:07 PM, rossienio@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

eric freedman

The LP pump for the watermaker, the A/C pump, a few things on the manifold, the fuel fill and a few other things are all attached with S/S hose clamps.

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 11:53 PM

Proper seacocks have screw posts for terminating the wires with crimped on terminals.

It’s not perfect, the terminals need to be renewed every few years, especially if they get damp with salt water, but it is better than hose clamps.

On May 30, 2016, at 23:48, Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Andrew

SM 472

On 31 May 2016, at 05:28, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Fair Winds

Eric

Andrew

SM 472

Canet en Roussillon

On 30 May 2016, at 23:11, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good advice, Kent.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet

On May 30, 2016 5:09 PM, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Enio,

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

"Currently" Bonaire

On May 30, 2016, at 3:07 PM, rossienio@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

That they are.  

It’s not perfect, and requires more maintenance and awareness to be sure that there is a good, low resisitance connection between the bonding circuit and the hardware.  If it is kept it clean and shiny and it will work fine.  

In a perfect work, every piece of marine hardware would come with a proper ground terminal  connection.  We certainly do not live in a perfect world!

On May 30, 2016, at 23:58, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The LP pump for the watermaker, the A/C pump, a few things on the manifold, the fuel fill and a few other things are all attached with S/S hose clamps.

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 11:53 PM

On May 30, 2016, at 23:48, Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Andrew

SM 472

Fair Winds

Eric

Andrew

SM 472

Canet en Roussillon

Good advice, Kent.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet

Enio,

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

"Currently" Bonaire

Alan Leslie

Every bonding connection in my Super Maramu is made with stainless clamps, except the bolt on connections to the copper strap in the sump and the connection to the rudder, and some pump frames that have a bonding terminal.
I think that article whilst very good in some respects (eg house electricians!) has also some not quite correct information in it.
This SS clamp thing for example, he says it won't work, but it does. The story about batteries discharging when left on a concrete floor, I think that has been debunked quite a few times.
Take everything with a grain of salt, use common sense, and above all on these boats don't change it until you have really thought it through, there's a reason it is the way it is...maybe we just haven;t worked out what it is yet.
Cheers from Fiji
Alan
Elyse SM437

karkauai

I agree with Alan.  There is theory and there is practice.  I check my bonding system regularly, and all those connections held in place with SS hose clamps have zero resistance.

On another note.  If I have become synonymous with all things Amel electrical, it is a misnomer.  While I am flattered to be the subject of any thread on this forum, I think that the thread should be titled "Bonding System".  That, too could be misleading, as it might be construed to reflect how I feel about all of you other Amel owners, sailors, explorers, and good folks who share these common bonds.  But I think it is clearer than "Kent!!!".

Kent!!!
SM243
Kristy
"Currently Bonaire "

On May 31, 2016, at 12:33 AM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Every bonding connection in my Super Maramu is made with stainless clamps, except the bolt on connections to the copper strap in the sump and the connection to the rudder, and some pump frames that have a bonding terminal.

I think that article whilst very good in some respects (eg house electricians!) has also some not quite correct information in it.
This SS clamp thing for example, he says it won't work, but it does. The story about batteries discharging when left on a concrete floor, I think that has been debunked quite a few times.
Take everything with a grain of salt, use common sense, and above all on these boats don't change it until you have really thought it through, there's a reason it is the way it is...maybe we just haven;t worked out what it is yet.
Cheers from Fiji
Alan
Elyse SM437