From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2016 4:45 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] C Drive Photos

I've added some photos to the C Drive Photo Album where Olivier originally posted the schematic drawings. I couldn't reorder the pictures, but they show removing the upper unit, cutting apart the fairing of the lower unit to remove the back plate, the propeller shaft, the shaft way with the tiny oil sump to the right, a shot of the vertical shaft spline and the three O rings on the Trumpet, plus reconstructing the fairing and the final assembly. All reinstalled and functioning perfectly. Not a terribly difficult job once you know the mechancal structure.

Craig Briggs, SN68 Sangaris

Craig & Katherine Briggs

Hi Eric,
Have sent the pics to your private email.

Btw, as I did this project I noticed there's a drain hole in the bottom of the lower C drive, similar to the hole in the bottom of the rudder, as that section below the propeller is simply a hollow fairing. One more interesting Amel design detail.  So if you get water weeping from the C drive after you haul, this is why. Worth cleaning up any fouling in the gap between the keel shoe plate and the bottom of the C drive.
Cheers,
Craig

karkauai

Hi Craig, et al.
I think it's in the thread about my CDrive problems somewhere that this hole in the bottom of the "foot" was the result of the manufacturing process.  Olivier said to fill and seal it.
I don't know what it communicates with.

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Currently Bonaire

On Jun 6, 2016, at 7:03 AM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,

Have sent the pics to your private email.

Btw, as I did this project I noticed there's a drain hole in the bottom of the lower C drive, similar to the hole in the bottom of the rudder, as that section below the propeller is simply a hollow fairing. One more interesting Amel design detail.  So if you get water weeping from the C drive after you haul, this is why. Worth cleaning up any fouling in the gap between the keel shoe plate and the bottom of the C drive.
Cheers,
Craig

eric freedman

Hi Craig,

Wow you did some job on that sail drive. Although it is different than the Super Maramu it is similar in many ways. Do you have more photos of the engine room side?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Have sent the pics to your private email.

Btw, as I did this project I noticed there's a drain hole in the bottom of the lower C drive, similar to the hole in the bottom of the rudder, as that section below the propeller is simply a hollow fairing. One more interesting Amel design detail.  So if you get water weeping from the C drive after you haul, this is why. Worth cleaning up any fouling in the gap between the keel shoe plate and the bottom of the C drive.

Cheers,

Craig

Craig & Katherine Briggs

Hi Kent,
Interesting observation - it seemed like one of those purposeful Amel things. The space does not communicate with anything - it is simply a hollow void below the propeller shaft housing. I suppose if you sealed it you would have about 1 cubic foot of air sealed off with, what?, 62 pounds of buoyancy. Then again, with the hole open it may still be filled with air as there is no vent on the top. Then again, there is no vent on top of the rudder and it fills up with water. So maybe it's one of those things that is really of no consequence. Although if your seal leaked and some water did make its way inside it would not drain out and I suppose it could, under some strange circumstance, freeze and crack the housing. Unless Olivier has an engineering explanation to the contrary, I suspect this is not an important issue.
Cheers,
Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

[...]

Eric,

No, just the one of lifting the upper unit with "trumpet" attached and the other pic of the upper unit suspended in the cockpit. I ran a line around the upper bracket of the upper unit with each end to the primary winches. Then I had a second line lifting on the C drive's input shaft going up to the main sheet sheave on the boom and forward to the main mast balooner winch to give as much vertical lift as possible. That gave a pretty good straight up lift and, after tensioning the lines to, I'd guess, 3 or 4 hundred pounds, a couple of taps on the trumpet popped it loose and it lifted up about 2 inches. Easy from there.

Is the SM "C drive" just a little longer than my SN drive.  I'd thought they were identical.

Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <kimberlite@...> wrote :

[...]

Craig it looks like the top is assembled differently.

Otherwise the same idea.

Thanks

Eric

Did you get the video of our sail to Colombia?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Have sent the pics to your private email.

Btw, as I did this project I noticed there's a drain hole in the bottom of the lower C drive, similar to the hole in the bottom of the rudder, as that section below the propeller is simply a hollow fairing. One more interesting Amel design detail.  So if you get water weeping from the C drive after you haul, this is why. Worth cleaning up any fouling in the gap between the keel shoe plate and the bottom of the C drive.

Cheers,

Craig

Craig & Katherine Briggs

Hi Eric,
No, don't believe I did.
Craig
---In amelyachtowners@..., <kimberlite@...> wrote :

Did you get the video of our sail to Colombia?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Mitchell Petersen

Hi Craig,
I'm currently attempting to remove and replace the bearings in the lower c drive however I'm having trouble getting the 'trumpet' off. I have the same c drive as you and have removed the upper unit by removing the four bolts which connect the square aluminum upper unit with the trumpet, was I supposed to do this? I have also loosened the hose clamps on the large rubber boots. Does the large rubber boots connecting the trumpet with the hull also come off with the upper unit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mitchell
Santorini No33

Craig & Katherine Briggs

Hi Mitchell,
I did leave the upper unit attached to the trumpet and lifted the whole assembly together. But if you can get a lifting line around the trumpet itself that may work just fine. I recall having to put a tremendous amount of tension on the lifting line with my winches and then tap with a hand sledge, kick it a bit with my foot and rotate it back and forth before it finally popped loose.

Did you find the lifting tang on the overhead above the c drive?  I didn't find that until after I had removed the unit and I think it would have made it much easier by giving a straight up pull.

On mine, the trumpet came out of the boot, but I may have left the lower clamps in place. Regardless, the boot should not give much resistance to the removal. It's where the trumpet mates into the hull with a couple of "O" rings that seemed to be the sticky bit.

By the way, I had removed the bolt holding the lower unit to the keel and wiggled the lower unit around to help release the drive shaft spline.

Good luck with it - hope this helps a bit,
Craig

Mitchell Petersen

Thanks Craig, also was it difficult knowing where to cut the GRP on the lower unit? Are there any bolts I need to undo within the lower unit to remove  the prop shaft? Did you resin the piece back you cut out of the lower unit or did you re-fibreglass the whole area?

Many thanks
Mitchell

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020, 9:40 AM Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Were you able to go through the pictures in the "C-Drive - Technical " photo album? You'll see my unit with the fairing material cut away. That exposes the cover plate on the front of the prop shaft and another pic shows it with its 4 machine screws. You have to cut the fairing back about 1 1/2 inches to totally expose the cover plate as it is about an inch thick. Again, see the pictures. (By the way, there are a couple of pictures the entire unit being lifted out that may be of interest.)

The cover plate carries the forward shaft bearing, so once it is off the prop shaft is totally free to be lifted out by hand. You can then lift out the aft bearings. Again there are pics of all that.

Cutting back the fairing material is a destructive process because it adheres to the metal housing. I had to guess about how big the plate was, so I just cut out small pieces until I figured it out. With the pictures to go by you'll have an easier time of it.  You will, of course, have to build up new material when you reassemble. I recall I used West System epoxy with a tough filler. Not rocket science, just messy, and you can then shape it back to the original size with a sander.

If you wish, send me your email address and I'll send more pictures that I didn't post here.  I'm at sangaris at aol dot com.

Craig

Mitchell Petersen

Hi Craig,
I managed to get it all out and have cut back the GRP to access the bearings.

Of interest my lower unit is different from yours with 6 hex screws holding the thrust bearing housing.

Thanks again for getting back to me, I don't know if I could have done it without your previous posts and assistance.

Many thanks
Mitchell

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020, 3:11 PM Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

HI Mitchell - my pleasure; glad it helped.
Regarding the design, one of my pictures show the manufacturers label on the upper unit - it was CATEP France with a Model and serial number. A google search brings up CATEP International. and I'd guess they supplied the entire unit. Amel clearly changed the specification along the way, as some of us have Aluminum housing and others steel. By the way, are you fixing a particular issue just doing PM?  Regardless, if you get into a need for parts CATEP may be where to start.
Cheers,