bow thruster service. Problem

rossienio@...

Good day to all. I read and watched everything written on this forum regarding the maintenance of the bow thruster. I took the Amel kit for maintenance. Then I started working on my Santorin. I removed the 4 screws, But the foot of the BT not want to know to get off. I guess it stuck under the engine from rust of other. The maintenance is not made by 5 years. No one happened something similar?  What do you think I could to do?

Craig Briggs

Rossienio,
Review post number 24813 and that entire thread.  This is well covered.
Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <rossienio@...> wrote :

Good day to all. I read and watched everything written on this forum regarding the maintenance of the bow thruster. I took the Amel kit for maintenance. Then I started working on my Santorin. I removed the 4 screws, But the foot of the BT not want to know to get off. I guess it stuck under the engine from rust of other. The maintenance is not made by 5 years. No one happened something similar?  What do you think I could to do?

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Rossenio:

This link is to a photo of the tool that Amel makes to aid in separating the rusted spline from the motor.

It would be nice if it was posted in the Amel SM Bow Thruster Service photo file rather than under the boat name of the poster (hint , hint , see my recent post on this issue)

I am sure you can fabricate a similar device or purchase it from Amel.

Basically it clamps onto the bow thruster drive shaft housing tube then uses jack-screw bolts bearing on the bottom of the motor to separate the splined drive shaft from its seat in the motor.

Sincerely ,

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000  #335
Puerto Del Rey Marina  - Puerto Rico

rossienio@...

Thanks Craig. I'll try with a chain wrench, and baths of WD40. Beat with a hammer kis wrong?

Craig Briggs

Holding some force on the chain wrench while you tap is a good technique. Just don't beat it with the hammer too hard.
Good luck

rossienio@...

Well Craig, i'll do that. Could you also give me directions on my request of 3 june (no.27337) relating to the new charger installation and earth connection? I'm sorry i could not meet u in Greece along with Attilio Siviero (Sisila) few years ago. Greetings. enio

rossienio@...

Good morning, I did what told me Craig (chain wrench used with extension, taping with hammer), but the thruster black shaft does NOT want to move. I think I'll try the Amel tool. Could someone explain to me where you place the tool and how to use it? It should be put around the shaft and pushed down by turning the screws which press under  of the engine? Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Craig Briggs

Yes, Enio, that's how you would use it.
Good luck,
Craig