Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bow thruster

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Just a thought. When sailing, do you secure the bowtruster with the stainless steel pin?

The times we have leakage is when we forget to secure it with the pin.

Regards
Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM 232
In Portimao, Portugal
------------------------------------
Facebook: Sailinglife.se
Twitter, Instagram: sailinglifese

Skickat från min iPad

8 juni 2016 kl. 05:20 skrev jvenegas@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Eric,

The leak is through the lip seal.  It is very clear every time the bow goes under water.  It is a recurrent and frustrating problem.

I will be around this weekend if the weather is not good.  Otherwise may be heading to Glaucester.  When are you coming up exactly?

Let me know and I would love to chat about your experience in Santa Marta.  We went by Santa Marta and Cartagena 3 years ago.  No bow thruster leak but only because I had clamped the extra seal.

Jose
Ipanema SM278
Boston

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Five things:

Joel explained a drain tube that was added on SM hull number 400 and above. You have 278.

I believe you said that yours leaked without moving the boat. If so your bow is too heavy and too low in the water.

I believe the service intervals should be about every two years

You do not mention securing the bow thruster with the locking pin

Do you read the recent post whereby Amel recommends a slightly different size lip seal? It reads:
"2 weeks ago, I received many spare parts from Amel (La Rochelle), as I was labelling them I noted that the seal on the tufnol shaft bow thruster was 29 x 42 x 8.

Thinking it was an error, I contacted Maud which just confirm that they have modified a little the diameters of the seal so that they are more water tight.
Before it was 30 x 42 x 8 now it is 29 x 42 x 8 she added you won’t be able to put them by hand, but will need to grease and use a tool “emporte piece” in french."

I believe that you need to address and/or understand all of the above.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

[...]

karkauai

Bill, that lip seal 30 X 42 X 8
(now 29 X 42 X 8) is the one on the bow thruster by the prop, not the one in the hull where the bow thruster enters the hull.  A failure of the one by the prop would cause leakage of water into the oil, not into the boat.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jun 8, 2016, at 6:49 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

.

Mark Erdos

I am a little confused about the mentioned tool to put on the new lip seals. Isn’t this seal adhered to the inside of the vessel before pulling up the shaft of the bow thruster into the motor? How does this tool work?

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Tampa Bay for huricane season

[...]

greatketch@...

Mark,

This seems to have confused a lot of people commenting here.

The changed seal is NOT the seal on the vertical shaft that keeps water out of the boat.  It IS the seal that keeps water out of the oil out in the gearbox. It is located on the horizontal shaft that the prop itself attaches to.

Bill Kinney
Harmonie, SM160
Port Canaveral, Florida.

Mark Erdos

Thanks Bill. This make sense now.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Tampa Bay for hurricane season

This seems to have confused a lot of people commenting here.

The changed seal is NOT the seal on the vertical shaft that keeps water out of the boat.  It IS the seal that keeps water out of the oil out in the gearbox. It is located on the horizontal shaft that the prop itself attaches to.

Bill Kinney

Harmonie, SM160

Port Canaveral, Florida.

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>