From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 10:17 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Marina Recommendations in NJ?

Hi Bill,

We sailed out of there for 20 years. A quick Google search will bring up several, like Liberty Landing, Liberty Harbor (cheaper), Newport Harbor, Lincoln Harbor, Port Imperial (a bit mafia but just fine) etc. For cheaper head up to our old club on City Island, the Harlem Yacht Club and go on a mooring for $25 a night (negotiable for longer stays) and an easy bus/train ride to NYC and NJ or take a slip at Huguenot YC.  Or, if you want more south in NJ try Lockwood Boat Works in South Amboy.  For much more detail and suggestions, check out Active Captain - a superb crowd sourced compendium. Even has great free anchorages.

Have fun,

Craig Briggs, SN68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <greatketch@...> wrote :

As we finish getting Harmonie made into our boat, we will be heading north before the end of the month.  I had been hoping to spend some time in the New Jersey area where I have family.  I expected a challenge finding a marina with available transient slips that had depth for our keel and bridge clearance for our mast, so far I haven't had any luck.

Anybody spend any time there and have a recommendation?

Bill Kinney
Harmonie, SM160
Port Canaveral, Florida.

greatketch@...

Thanks to everybody who had specific recommendations.

I was hoping for something more in New Jersey and less in New York, especially less in New York City!  But... originally being a Jersey Boy I knew going into this that the Jersey Shore is not a friendly place for a deep-draft boat.  The very few marinas we found who had sufficient water either had no transient slips or none available for us.

By slowly widening our search circle we did find a spot at Sandy Hook Marina in Atlantic Highlands for July.  A bit further north than I was hoping for, but not too bad.

I have used ActiveCaptain as a resource and will again. I do frequently find it tedious because like everything on the internet (including what I write!) it has a some good information intermixed with errors, fantasies, and confusions. We called several places based on ActiveCaptain information and found what is written ain't necessarily so!

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie

Craig Briggs

Hi Bill,
How about the Cohansey River and Hancock Harbor Marina for more South Jersey? It's off Delaware Bay and is one of those places you'd usually pass by, but you've got 20+ feet all the way in, although it doesn't look like it at first glance on the charts. We ducked in in bad weather and were amazed at how easy and safe it was, although we anchored and did not do the marina, which I think is pretty reasonably priced.
Craig, Sangaris, SN#68