[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: bow thruster service. Problem

There is not a general rule as to what needs to be replaced, but for a good overall view of what you might need to do (some, maybe all) go to this Super Maramu overhaul of the Bow Thruster:

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 2:02 PM Santorin LO via groups.io <santorinlo18=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

Just to update you, for a quick fix, I put just VERY little silicon around the worn seal and then used old inner tube cut wrapped around the the shaft pressed to the bottom where it goes into the hole (above the seal) - 600miles with the bow diving frequently - not a drop came in, the better thing - less then a minute to remove and safely moored in the marina.

Now, before ordering the maintenance kit, an anyone tell me what need to check / maintain replace on the electric motor bottom (Bill - you mentioned something and I was also told there is a bearing better be replaced after a while.

Will be back with more topics when lift on the hard soon...

Rgds

Santorin LO

Hi All,

Just to update you, for a quick fix, I put just VERY little silicon around the worn seal and then used old inner tube cut wrapped around the the shaft pressed to the bottom where it goes into the hole (above the seal) - 600miles with the bow diving frequently - not a drop came in, the better thing - less then a minute to remove and safely moored in the marina.

Now, before ordering the maintenance kit, an anyone tell me what need to check / maintain replace on the electric motor bottom (Bill - you mentioned something and I was also told there is a bearing better be replaced after a while.

Will be back with more topics when lift on the hard soon...

Rgds

Santorin LO

Thank You very much Ian and all, will definitely make use of all advices.

Ian Park

Hi,
Not sure who you are. Sign of with name, name of boat, and type and hull number e.g.SN 01.
The seals are neoprene. I guess as a temporary measure you could cut them out of neoprene or an old wetsuit! There should be just one inside the boat visible where the shaft goes through the whole. If, as you say, there are two, then it is most likely that there is only one underneath, where there should be two. The previous owner may have installed them the wrong way round. This would also be a likely cause of water coming in.
I guess you might have looked up on the AMEL owner’s web site how to service the bow thruster and replace the seals. It is the same as the Super Maramu.
A couple of suggestions.
Take the pin out. Squeeze the cable as tight as you can and see how far the pin hole rises above where it should be. If it goes a long way (which it could if there is only one neoprene seal on the underside) then the clearly it cannot keep the water out. A temporary improvement can be made by tightening up the threaded nut at the top.
There is a post on how to do this adjustment on the AMEL site with photos. If you search Ocean Hobo bow thruster you should get there.
I don’t have the AMEL tool for lowering the bow thruster. It does do this job, but I also think it has to plug the top of the tube as this is where the oil reservoir is. You don’t want salt water getting in there!
I too have fitted a bilge pump next to my speed transducer in the forward toilet corridor. I fitted a small bore outlet pipe into the shower tray below the wooden grating. I get rain water in there too from the anchor chain hawse hole.
Good luck - it takes a couple of years to get to know all the systems on your Santorin. It is a great boat.

Ian
Ocean Hobo. SN96 currently locked down in Wales.

Alexandre Uster von Baar

If you scroll to this illustration, you will see how is the Amel special took used (when you overhaul the bow thruster “in” the water):

http://supermaramu2000.com/bow_thruster_overhaul.html

Sincerely, Alexandre

On Saturday, November 7, 2020, 12:00:55 PM CST, Santorin LO via groups.io <santorinlo18@...> wrote:

Hi Group,

Just observed that water is coming through the main cylinder / shaft hole in the forward cabin picture 3 and pic headed "Removed the old seal (please note that I did not had the 2 retainer screws") in Alexanders document) when in wavy seas the hole is below the waterline.

Am currently on a relative long trip in Greece would and would prefer to do the full service when on the hard when done with my trip, will need to fix only this for  now and trying to find out the following:

a. Good to know - what would be the mercy practice for water coming through there on a long passage with no means to get spares and heavy leakage - of course shifting weight back, but anyway to seal it temporarily as it is?

b. Amel tool - what is the use of it? - push down the shat? lead it back to its position? can be done without? seen your direction for it Bill, but unless it is literally IN the the black housing which I didn't open - couldn't see it).

c. the neofoam seals - 2 outside, 1 inside -  meaning? I can see 2 between the shaft to the hole from the cabin, the 3rd on e is below the hole (from its ' sea side)?

d. the relevant problem seal mentioned above - is it only by delivery from Amel or could be found / made by spec - then what is the spec? same question for the neofoam seals.

Thank you all in advance

Santorin LO

[...]

Good afternoon,

Not sure the message was to me, but since my name is Alexandre, I thought I would answer!!!

After 1 - 1.5 year, my bow thruster started to leak (water coming in while sailing) (I later realized it often started after I motor too quickly bow thruster down - but that is another story).

First, I checked every day I used the boat and every 24 hour of sailing (when there was no known leak).

Second, I added a “High water Alarm”, very practice when there is a leak, you are alerted when you have 15-20 liters of water

Third, I added a bilge pump to remove the water and put it in the head (bathroom - not toilet), which itself would go to the bilge and be emptied from there.

You have all the pictures on:

http://supermaramu2000.com/bilge_pump_high_water_alarm_bow_thruster.html

Sincerely, Alexandre (Currently in Geneva, Switzerland).

On Saturday, November 7, 2020, 11:05:31 AM CST, Santorin LO via groups.io <santorinlo18@...> wrote:

Hi Alexander (or anyone else),
While on relatively long trip in Greece is that when the bow thruster hole (of the cylinder in the forward cabin - the 3rd picture of your page) is underwater (when pitching) - water is coming through. As limited with lifting her right now or perform full service to the bow thruster (no time to get spares etc...). Need to find a quick (but proper) fix to this seal while in the water.

My question are as follows:

a. Good to know - what would be the emergency practice to this problem middle of long passage? (except of shifting weight to stern) anyway to seal it from the top without removing anything?
b. The specific seal is only from Amel or could be found or made anywhere?
c. What is the Amel special tool for - only to lead the shaft/cylinder back to its hole? can the bow thruster be removed and back without?
d. Would it be relatively easy to replace the seal without the tool?

Getting to know our baby better and better...

Cheers

Santorin LO

[...]

James Alton

Jim,
  How about simply taking a set of calipers and comparing the shaft OD at various locations and orientations?  Isn't the tube composite?  If so and a clamping force (such as a hose clamp) has been left on it for some time it might oblong the shape of the tube...hence the suggestion to take your measurements in varioud orientations.  If you lack a caliper a carefully adjusted crescent wrench can give you a rough idea. Besr. James

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Date: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 1:55 PM

[...]

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841 --
#yiv1819586841ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-mkp #yiv1819586841hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-mkp #yiv1819586841ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-mkp .yiv1819586841ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-mkp .yiv1819586841ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-mkp .yiv1819586841ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1819586841ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1819586841ygrp-lc #yiv1819586841hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1819586841ygrp-lc .yiv1819586841ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841activity span
.yiv1819586841underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv1819586841 .yiv1819586841attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv1819586841 .yiv1819586841attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1819586841 .yiv1819586841attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1819586841 .yiv1819586841attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv1819586841 .yiv1819586841attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1819586841 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv1819586841 .yiv1819586841bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1819586841 .yiv1819586841bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1819586841 dd.yiv1819586841last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1819586841 dd.yiv1819586841last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1819586841 dd.yiv1819586841last p
span.yiv1819586841yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv1819586841 div.yiv1819586841attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1819586841 div.yiv1819586841attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv1819586841 div.yiv1819586841file-title a, #yiv1819586841
div.yiv1819586841file-title a:active, #yiv1819586841
div.yiv1819586841file-title a:hover, #yiv1819586841
div.yiv1819586841file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1819586841 div.yiv1819586841photo-title a,
#yiv1819586841 div.yiv1819586841photo-title a:active,
#yiv1819586841 div.yiv1819586841photo-title a:hover,
#yiv1819586841 div.yiv1819586841photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1819586841 div#yiv1819586841ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv1819586841ygrp-msg p a span.yiv1819586841yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv1819586841 .yiv1819586841green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv1819586841 .yiv1819586841MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv1819586841 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1819586841 .yiv1819586841replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv1819586841 input, #yiv1819586841 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv1819586841
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-mlmsg #yiv1819586841logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-msg
p#yiv1819586841attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-reco
#yiv1819586841reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-sponsor #yiv1819586841ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-sponsor #yiv1819586841ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-sponsor #yiv1819586841ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv1819586841 #yiv1819586841ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv1819586841

Alexandre Uster von Baar

I think you are right Bill!
Can't wait to hear from Jim is there was any barnacle !!!

Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, June 24, 2016, 1:01 PM

Jim,
I am trying to imagine what could have caused
that. I have an idea, actually two. Both involve the
anti-torque boot that is above the propeller.
1.) If the bow thruster tube was not totally
vertical, I would imagine that the anti-torque boot that is
above the propeller could possibly jam in the bow thruster
cavity because it is a close fit.
2.) There may have been barnacles or other
shell sea life in that cavity near the internal waterline.
Since there is a close fit of the anti-torque boot, I am
guessing that could also cause a jam.
I can't wait to hear what it was.
Bill Rouse

BeBe Amel 53 #387

Sent from my tablet

+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail
On Jun 24, 2016 1:01 PM,
"capt.anderson@gmail.com
[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:

Kent & the Group, Yes, the shaft was clear of
the motor by at least 10". It jammed with about 4"
of shaft remaining above the seal. I will report more when I
re-install tomorrow, which I will do with my diver present,
just in case.
Jim
SM384
Sirena Azul
Seattle

On Jun 24, 2016 1:01 PM, "capt.anderson@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent & the Group, Yes, the shaft was clear of the motor by at least 10". It jammed with about 4" of shaft remaining above the seal. I will report more when I re-install tomorrow, which I will do with my diver present, just in case.
Jim
SM384 Sirena Azul
Seattle

Jim Anderson

Kent & the Group, Yes, the shaft was clear of the motor by at least 10". It jammed with about 4" of shaft remaining above the seal. I will report more when I re-install tomorrow, which I will do with my diver present, just in case.
Jim
SM384 Sirena Azul
Seattle

karkauai

Hi Jim,
If everything with the shaft and motor looked OK, it almost had to be coming out at an angle rather than straight down???  Had the shaft and splines cleared the motor when it jammed?
I'd sure like to know what happened.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jun 23, 2016, at 1:03 PM, capt.anderson@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you, Alexandre & Bill. Two of my three questions are now answered: It is normal to have to trim the 2 seals on the trunk, and my prop wont come off because the 6 nylon screws secure it to a hub and one must pull the pin out of the hub to remove it and expose the prop shaft lip seal. A picture is worth a thousand words, thanks, Alexandre!

I still am baffled by my first question. Upon easily separating the thruster shaft from the clean and well-greased motor, if let go the whole foot would either fall out the bottom of the boat or down to the temporary retaining hose clamp (which I installed about 2" from the very top of the shaft). Mine didn't. It stopped before reaching the hose clamp, with 4" of shaft still sticking up. much force, simultaneous from me above and the diver below, was required to get the shaft to go the remaining 4" to come out the bottom of the boat. I am worried that during re-assembly the shaft will again become stuck, leaving the tape between the special tool and the shaft underwater for an extended time.

Thanks very much for your help,

Jim
SM384 Sirena Azul
Seattle

Alexandre Uster von Baar

I am a visual person myself, so try to illustrate what Bill, Gary, etc. have describe.

The problem of the 1st question doesn’t make sense to me… the shaft has the same size… going through a seal, so why should there be resistance?

Are you sure there was nothing in the water to block it?
Did you lower it straight down? not at an angle?

Unless Bill says otherwise, put lots of grease like on picture:
http://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_overhaul/bow_thruster_overhaul_76.jpg
This will help water getting in.

Good luck, please keep us posted of what you find…

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 12:03 PM

[...]

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143 --
#yiv7894874143ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-mkp #yiv7894874143hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-mkp #yiv7894874143ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-mkp .yiv7894874143ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-mkp .yiv7894874143ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-mkp .yiv7894874143ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-sponsor
#yiv7894874143ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-sponsor
#yiv7894874143ygrp-lc #yiv7894874143hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-sponsor
#yiv7894874143ygrp-lc .yiv7894874143ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143activity span
.yiv7894874143underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv7894874143 .yiv7894874143attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv7894874143 .yiv7894874143attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7894874143 .yiv7894874143attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv7894874143 .yiv7894874143attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv7894874143 .yiv7894874143attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7894874143 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv7894874143 .yiv7894874143bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7894874143 .yiv7894874143bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7894874143 dd.yiv7894874143last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7894874143 dd.yiv7894874143last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7894874143 dd.yiv7894874143last p
span.yiv7894874143yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv7894874143 div.yiv7894874143attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7894874143 div.yiv7894874143attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv7894874143 div.yiv7894874143file-title a, #yiv7894874143
div.yiv7894874143file-title a:active, #yiv7894874143
div.yiv7894874143file-title a:hover, #yiv7894874143
div.yiv7894874143file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7894874143 div.yiv7894874143photo-title a,
#yiv7894874143 div.yiv7894874143photo-title a:active,
#yiv7894874143 div.yiv7894874143photo-title a:hover,
#yiv7894874143 div.yiv7894874143photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7894874143 div#yiv7894874143ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv7894874143ygrp-msg p a span.yiv7894874143yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv7894874143 .yiv7894874143green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv7894874143 .yiv7894874143MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv7894874143 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv7894874143 .yiv7894874143replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv7894874143 input, #yiv7894874143 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv7894874143
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-mlmsg #yiv7894874143logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-msg
p#yiv7894874143attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-reco
#yiv7894874143reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-sponsor #yiv7894874143ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-sponsor #yiv7894874143ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-sponsor #yiv7894874143ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv7894874143 #yiv7894874143ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
[...]

As the cast iron electric motor housing oxidizes because of salt water, the rust causes a reduction in size of the tube connection, freezing the tube to the motor housing. Take a camera and point it up at the bottom of the motor and see if you get something similar to the above.

Clean the oxidation very well and use wet dry sand paper on the inside wall. Then grease this entire area with waterproof grease...also same grease for the end of the tube that inserts into the motor housing.

Take a look at Alex's photos on a rebuild of the bow thruster at http://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_overhaul.html
You will see that the bow thruster propeller shaft is behind the white Delrin propeller hub.

You need to slightly trim the external (2) neoprene seals to fit.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe 387
Currently Grenada

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 4:11 AM, capt.anderson@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Perfect timing on this topic for me. Thanks in advance for any help with the following questions. Please forgive me for demonstrating ineptitude as I chime in with a few questions:

1. When doing the in-the-water service today on SM384, as per Gary Silver’s instructions & Bill Rouse’s additional notes, after removing the four hex-head screws that secure the Thruster Shaft Housing to the Motor, the shaft would not drop all the way down and out the bottom of the boat. It stopped a good 2” above the “stopper” hose clamp. After installing the Amel Special Tool initially I could lift the shaft up and down but after trying to ram it downwards it stuck and wouldn’t budge up or down. I had to hire a diver. After much pulling and wiggling the diver finally got the shaft to come out. Upon inspection of the foot, shaft and the diver’s inspection of the Thruster Trunk nothing looked unusual. Any ideas what might have caused this?

I am hoping I won’t encounter the same problem with the shaft getting stuck when trying to put it back in tomorrow.

The Amel-supplied replacements are identical and will need have the over-hang trimmed off too if they are not to over-hang.  Is this normal? (Last service, seals in photo done by Amel Martinique.)

3. Where is the Prop Shaft Lip Seal? Is it in the hub of the propeller, flush with the 6 nylon screws that hold the prop on, or is it behind the prop in the foot? I removed the 6 nylon screws from the prop but it will not come off.  The seal in the hub of the prop, flush with the nylon screws, is smaller than the Amel-supplied prop shaft seal so I presume the lip seal is in the trunk behind the prop. If so, any suggestions on how to get the prop off with the 6 nylon screws removed?

Again, thanks for any help and please forgive me for demonstrating my ignorance.

Jim

SM384 Sirena Azul

Seattle

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Jim,

1) I did 3 times the bow thruster overall and it never happened to me, unless I am not understanding the question…
You did not keep the stopper to make the Thruster shaft going through the seal did you?

Here are pictures I took, it if helps: http://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_overhaul.html

2) Being cut is normal, I think a slightly better job could have been done cutting the foam.

3) The prop shaft lip seal in under the propeller hub, here is the picture:
http://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_overhaul/bow_thruster_overhaul_22.jpg

You will need to be “VERY” careful using 3 tiny screw to pull it out. You don’t want to damage the food of the bow thruster.
Look at my pictures. I think it will make sense.

Sincerely, Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 11:11 PM

[...]

2. The diameter of the
two neoprene seals on the Thruster
Foot is larger than the width of the foot on one side and
would over-hang on
one side, except the excess was trimmed off with a razor
knife. (Photo posted
at: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/photos/albums/1196149903

[...]

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027 --
#yiv3352698027ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-mkp #yiv3352698027hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-mkp #yiv3352698027ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-mkp .yiv3352698027ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-mkp .yiv3352698027ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-mkp .yiv3352698027ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-sponsor
#yiv3352698027ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-sponsor
#yiv3352698027ygrp-lc #yiv3352698027hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-sponsor
#yiv3352698027ygrp-lc .yiv3352698027ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027activity span
.yiv3352698027underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv3352698027 .yiv3352698027attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv3352698027 .yiv3352698027attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3352698027 .yiv3352698027attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv3352698027 .yiv3352698027attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv3352698027 .yiv3352698027attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3352698027 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv3352698027 .yiv3352698027bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3352698027 .yiv3352698027bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3352698027 dd.yiv3352698027last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3352698027 dd.yiv3352698027last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3352698027 dd.yiv3352698027last p
span.yiv3352698027yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv3352698027 div.yiv3352698027attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3352698027 div.yiv3352698027attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv3352698027 div.yiv3352698027file-title a, #yiv3352698027
div.yiv3352698027file-title a:active, #yiv3352698027
div.yiv3352698027file-title a:hover, #yiv3352698027
div.yiv3352698027file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3352698027 div.yiv3352698027photo-title a,
#yiv3352698027 div.yiv3352698027photo-title a:active,
#yiv3352698027 div.yiv3352698027photo-title a:hover,
#yiv3352698027 div.yiv3352698027photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3352698027 div#yiv3352698027ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv3352698027ygrp-msg p a span.yiv3352698027yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv3352698027 .yiv3352698027green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv3352698027 .yiv3352698027MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv3352698027 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv3352698027 .yiv3352698027replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv3352698027 input, #yiv3352698027 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv3352698027
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-mlmsg #yiv3352698027logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-msg
p#yiv3352698027attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-reco
#yiv3352698027reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-sponsor #yiv3352698027ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-sponsor #yiv3352698027ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-sponsor #yiv3352698027ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv3352698027 #yiv3352698027ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
[...]

The foam seals on the SM are placed 2 outside and one inside. The outside foam helps seal water when the bow thruster is retracted. The inside seal helps seal water when the bow thruster us in use. The primary seal is the lip seal on the tube.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jun 22, 2016 4:09 PM, "rossienio@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The shaft of the Santorin BT has a diameter of 59-60mm, as I believe that of the SM, then the foam seals are the same?  Then why it says here (3D Bow thruster) that it should be put on the SM 3 outside? Excuse me, but I want to avoid any leakage of water, and I am not at all experienced. regards. enio