Mizzen Roller Reefing

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

I took the frozen shaft to FKG in Sint Maarten, and they were able to remove the very tight Allen wrench bolt and free up the shaft rotation.  Apparently there was some corrosion that had built up in the connecting shaft.  Best advice, crank you mizzen back and forth every once in a while to prevent corrosion buildup!

I added some lithium grease to the bevel gears before reassembly, and used blue locktite on the aluminum threads joining the shaft to the main gear housing.  After fitting the whole assembly back into the mizzen, I put the foil back on the main gear housing, and then put mizzen sail back on the foil.  Everything now works smoothly as expected.

I posted a few more photos in the SM Mizzen Gearbox album to show the greasing of the bevel gear and the final assembly before reinstallation on the mizzen mast.

Derick
SM2K#400 Brava

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Derick;

The Mizzen furler on our 54 has always been fairly stiff. It has progressively gotten worse and I finally decided to tackle the problem.

With Olivier's sound advice and directions, I removed the furler. As I was pulling it out water poured out of the screw holes that hold the furler to the mizzen mast. There was enough water that my guess is that the entire gear box was almost full of water.

I have the furler in hand. I saw from your pictures that you unscrewed the shaft for rotating the furler from the gear box to access the gears. What did you use to unscrew this piece? Once removed did you have good access to clean and lubricate the gears? Is this the correct access for servicing the gears?

 Where is the water getting in from and how do we prevent it from happening again?

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
AMel 54 #099

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

Mohammed and Aty,

When my mizzen furler finally completely seized up, the sail was being unfurled, and the force of the winch handle is what unscrewed the shaft from the main housing.  Taking off the winch shaft from the main housing, if you can, does give you access to the gear box to grease the bevel gears.  To prevent the winch shaft from unscrewing inadvertently, I used blue locktite when I screwed it back in, having scrupulously cleaned all the screw threads beforehand.  If you are trying to take it apart you might try using an oil filter wrench strap.  It unscrews in the normal way, counter-clockwise.

If you are accumulating water in the gearbox, it is probably dripping down into the gearbox along the path of the foil.  Perhaps the drain holes in the bottom of you gearbox are plugged with old hard grease.  I did not try to take the main gearbox apart to further investigate how it is constructed.

Good luck!

Derick Gates
SM2K#400 Brava
Currently on the hard in Antigua