Amel surveyor- Florida

tdbladin@...

Hi,

Our family is looking at the Amel 46' for sale in Stuart, Fl (SV Pura Vida).  Can anyone recommend a good Amel surveyor in the region?

Also, are hull blisters a common problem on this boat (1983 build).

It sure is an awesome boat!!

Thanks!
Doug
Melbourne Beach, FL

jjjk12s@...

Doug,

I would say osmosis is not a common problem. Minor osmosis may be present as the boats are old. One factor in causing osmosis is how the lay up was done. If there are more tiny air bubbles in the outer layers of resin (poor workmanship) that can be the areas osmosis starts. Amel are very good at fibreglass, and in that era were well ahead of the fibreglass game compared to most other builders, so you would be hard pressed to find a boat of that age with a lower likelihood of osmosis.

Obviously a lot more is known since the early 90's about how to minimise osmosis so osmosis on any particular vessel will depend on whether a protective barrier coat was added earlier in it's life.

John Matamu 91, Popeye 1981