24V Watermaker

rossirossix4

Wondering if anyone has added 24V water making capacity to their Amel.  We have the 220V 160 Dessalator and it works great but would like to have the option to make water with 24 V.  There is a kit for converting to the Duo Dessalator but I am hearing that it has problems..

Seems that you could add a 24V high pressure pump and feed pump and use the existing membrane and even the constriction control that controls seawater pressure to the membrane.  There is also the possibility of a stand alone system that only shares the pre-filters.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has had any success with this.  It would be great to be able to make water while motoring or with solar.

Bob

KAIMI SM 429

Alan Leslie

We have a Duo 60 which has one HP pump and both a 230VAC motor and a 24VDC motor - it works just fine.
I don;t know how you could simply do that with a 160.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Walter

Hi Bob,

Noa (SM2K #436) has the same setup as Elise, dessalator duo 60. The hp pump is driven via belt, either by 220V AC motor or by 24V DC motor, a compact and reliable setup. We use 24V DC when under motor, AC when running the genset. Dessalator specofies the 24V motor with 550W/18A, a bit more when starting. A dessalator 160 has a more powerful or faster running hp pump and the pump is driven directly by the AC motor, so, beside connecting problems, you´ll need a bigger 24V DC motor. The AC motor of the 160 dessalator is 2,2KW, so a DC motor will draw around 90+A, a bit more when starting. Quite substantial amount and difficult to get out of solar or wind power. To my knowledge dessalator doesn´t sell converting kits for the 160, maybe due to the data mentioned above.

Regards,
Walter (Noa, SM2K #436)

seagasm@...

This does not make sense!

Why would you deplete your stored energy in your batteries to run a 24 volt motor on your water maker. If you managed your water storage enough, you would be utilizing your genset output each day to top up your water using your 110/240VAC motor while replenishing your battery capacity at the same time.

I have a 24VDC motor on my Dessalator and I would gladly swap it for a 240VAC motor. Ridiculous as it may sound, the amperage used to run a 24VDC motor has to be replenished by running the Genset to keep the batteries topped up. Needless to say, I run my Genset while making water and charging my batteries at the same time.

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM #171

rossirossix4

HI  Barry,
Regarding your comment when you said  "This does not make sense!  Why would you deplete your stored energy in your batteries to run a 24 volt motor on your water maker."  The answer is that I would not.  Please re-read my post where I say " It would be great to be able to make water while motoring or with solar"  In neither situation would my batteries necessarily be depleted.  I have considerable excess solar capacity during the day.  There is an excess of amp hours available because my solar system commonly tops up my house bank (SM Redline) by about noon.  Following this, measured unused capacity from the solar panels is substantial--equaling or exceeding 10 amps at 27+V (my solar capacity is pretty high) .   Also, like most Amel owners I have a high capacity (stock) alternator on my engine.  Its capacity is underutilized when motoring for extended periods because, again, the batteries are topped off drawing only a few amps and only 10 amps or so are used for refridge, autopilot and LED lighting, etc.  No question, the 220 AC Dessalator is very good, and you are quite right, I would not trade it for the 24V only system that you are complaining about, but the capacity to make fresh water with both 24 and 220 is desirable for some of us and need not be at the expense of depleting batteries (and running the generator to charge them back up).
Cheers,
Bob, KAIMI SM429
At Anchor, Gocek Turkey--Haven't run my generator for 2 weeks