[Amel Yacht Owners] Diesel fuel problems and additives

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Aty & Mohammed,

Had a big problem on previous boat… however, we had the tank sucked out, fuel polished, changed all filters then no more issue.

We’ve not had any problem since installing the following upgrade on Eleuthera: a pair of Racor 75900 with a 4 way valve.  (1-2-both-off)

We also use a bacteria killing agent at all times.  Also, for those who use the low sulfur diesel… we do… (no choice in most places) we add 1 liter of 2 stroke oil to each 500 liters.  Makes up some lubricity for the drier low sulfur stuff though it contributes to extra hull cleaning chore aft of the exhausts..

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM 007

On 28 Jun 2016, at 16:16, mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello everyone;

In talking to several different cruisers in the med, it appears that some have had some serious issues with bacterial or other types of growth in their diesel tanks leading to the need for disposal and deep cleaning of the fuel tanks.

I'd like hear others experiences and solutions to the problem in order to avoid the problem.

Thanks in advance

Mohammad and Aty

AMEL 54. #099

B&B Kokomo

Posted by: mshirloo@...

David Wallace

Jean-Pierre,

Your post has prompted a question from me. What have you found works well for cleaning the exhaust from the hull?  Of course other members please feel free to chime in!

Thanks,

Dave Wallace
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104
Sea of Cortez, Mx

On Jun 28, 2016, at 9:21 AM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

James Alton

Jean-Pierre Germain,

   I am glad to get the warning about the possible fuel issues in the Med.  Having been in Florida a lot I am familiar with the algae growth issue which I control using Bio-bor, an algaecide.  Is there also a bacteria that we have to worry about as well??

  A friend of mine who sells Yanmar started having the injection pumps of relatively new engines seize up right after the change to the low sulphur fuel.  After a lot testing he determined that this was a lubricity issue and found that a product called Stanedyne cured the problem.  I am sure that the 2 cycle motor oil works as well.  The Stanedyne does seem to burn clean, no oily film on the waterline of my boat.

Best,

James

On Jun 28, 2016, at 1:21 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Stephen Davis

Hi Aty and Mohammed,

I've had dirty fuel on a previous boat, and would rather not have to deal with it again.

While refitting Aloha, we added a fuel boss fuel polishing unit in addition to the dual Racor units as JP described. It consist of an additional Racor unit with a 24volt motor attached. I also added 2 valves which allow fuel to diverted from the primary racors to the fuel boss, and for the output to go into the return line, and back into the top of the tank. The SM is ideal for this system as fuel draws from the very bottom of the tank. It polishes at 60 gph, so a full tank can be polished in under 3 hours. I usually polish if the boat has been sitting for a while, or if I have questions about the quality of the fuel received. It is a fairly simple user installed system, and cost me about $1000 with all the bits and pieces. Seems like cheap insurance to me. Also, I use the same Startron additive Bill recommends, and have found it to be a great product.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Grenada for the summer

On Jun 28, 2016, at 12:21, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Dave,

This is not a smart-ass answer/remark.

When is the last time that the valve lash was adjusted on your engine and/or generator?  If the valve lash is not adjusted correctly, you will get a lot of exhaust staining on the hull.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jun 28, 2016 1:13 PM, "Dave Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Gang,

Bio-Bor is one of the approved bactericide for aviation; it is used extensively in corporate aviation.  The diesel/jet fuel growth is not frequent in airliners as they never sit for long.  Corporate jets however tend to be idle for days on end, capturing heat in daytime and cooling at night.  This results in condensation. i.e water.  Once water is present in your tank, the bacteria combines with the water and grows to a dirty black composite which stops diesel engines dead in their tracks.

The precautions taken by Steve and I are… just precautions.  But given a small bit of attention to your fuel supply… consider filtering through a chamois if you have doubts.  The fuel guy will hate you but who cares??

Reference the soot along the hull, my only solution thus far has been “elbow grease” . I’d love to hear from anyone who has found the “magic” solution.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM 007

On 28 Jun 2016, at 20:49, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Posted by: Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...>

.

David Wallace

Bill, great question and I think the answer is “never” since the engine was rebuilt in 2010.  I’ll  put it on the top of my list. The staining isn’t very bad, but still annoying.  Thanks!

Dave Wallace
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104
Sea of Cortez

On Jun 28, 2016, at 1:28 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

The previous owners of our boat insisted that adding Howes Lubricator “Diesel Fuel Conditioner” stopped the soot stain completely on the side of the hull from our aging (7000 hours) Volvo.

Not one to argue, and putting this in the category of “it can’t hurt” I keep adding it, and no soot stain.  This is not a biocide, and will not address directly the issue of biological growth.

Bill Kinney
SM #160 Harmonie
Highlands, NJ

On Jun 28, 2016, at 16:38, Dave Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi again gang,

My Volvo has fewer than 1000 hours but Eleuthera is coming out for yearly maintenance next week.  Valve adjustment/ injector/fuel pump calibration as well as new camshaft belt are in the plan.  Hull polish too. :-)

GL

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM 007

On 28 Jun 2016, at 22:40, Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

SY Eleuthera, Amel Super Maramu 007
Porto Turistico Marina di Ragusa, Pontoon M15,
97100 Ragusa, Sicily, Italy
+44 7551 211 511
jp.germain@...

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

I think that you will see an improvement. If you do it yourself, do it at least twice to make sure they are correctly adjusted. You should probably adjust them every 1000 hours, ir 4 years.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jun 28, 2016 4:32 PM, "Dave Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Gregory Shea

Jean-Pierre,
I used to be very involved in two cycle lubrication a couple of careers ago and was wondering what "two stroke" oil do you use? The formulations for hot running air cooled two cycle engine lubricants are very different to cooler running water cooled (outboard) motors. The latter are designated TC-W for "two cycle water cooled" on their packaging. The air cooled stuff will create gum and varnish at the lower temperatures of a water cooled engine. The result can be disastrous, very quickly.
Similarly, all TC-W oils are not created equal. The ones sold by the motor manufacturers Mercury, Yamaha, Johmson, Evinrude etc. are of a uniformly high quality because their poor performance will reflect unfavorably on the brands. Major oil companies products are usually OK but you cannot be sure. As usual, it ibecomes a cost issue.
By the way, most of your litre is a diluent to thin it down so it will mix with the fuel. It used to be a kerosene type product but who knows what is today. In short, there is not much "oil" in outboard "oil" but it sure can make a mess.
I'm hopeful you are using a product that expects to get burnt in the combustion chamber and not stick the rings but, for what it's worth, my strong preference/practice is to use the outboard manufacturer's products when oil-fuel mixing is required.

Greg Shea
Sharki 133
Cap des Iles

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 13:38:31 -0700
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Diesel fuel problems and additives

[...]

Mohammad Shirloo

Thanks every one for the replies. We do have dual racors and the fuel polishing system and pre filtering before it goes in to the tank all sound like good ideas.

Is any one aware of any negative effects of the additives? Also how do you find out the sulfur content of the fuel you are purchasing?

On a slightly different point, I purchased 12 extra rancor filters and later found out that my supplier sent me 2 micron instead of the 30 micron recommended by AMEL. In reviewing the specs of the 2 micron filter it sounds like it can handle the flow. Has any one used the finer filters ?

Mohammad and Aty
B&B KOKOMO

David Wallace

Excellent advice, thanks again!

Dave Wallace
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104
Sea of Cortez

On Jun 28, 2016, at 1:59 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill <greatketch@...>

There are two kinds of additives to deal with water that finds its way into your fuel.  One kind emulsifies the water with the idea that it passes through into the engine in small quantities at a time and is safely burned off.  If the amount of water is small enough that works, but at some point you get corrosion to the injection pump, and erosion of the injector tips.

The second type of water handling additive actually does the opposite.  By increasing the tendency of the water to separate, it helps your filters remove it.  If you have an efficient fuel polishing system, I would avoid the emulsifying additives.  They make it difficult or impossible for the filters to do their job.

Otherwise, additives tend to be used in small enough proportions, I have never heard of damage except to the engine owner's wallet. Diesel engines burn lots of things without complaint

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Highlands, NJ

On Jun 28, 2016, at 18:07, mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks every one for the replies. We do have dual racors and the fuel polishing system and pre filtering before it goes in to the tank all sound like good ideas.

Is any one aware of any negative effects of the additives? Also how do you find out the sulfur content of the fuel you are purchasing?

On a slightly different point, I purchased 12 extra rancor filters and later found out that my supplier sent me 2 micron instead of the 30 micron recommended by AMEL. In reviewing the specs of the 2 micron filter it sounds like it can handle the flow. Has any one used the finer filters ?

Mohammad and Aty
B&B KOKOMO

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Bill,

I went to Howes Lubricator webpage and I am unable tho find “Diesel Fuel Conditioner."

Webpage: http://www.howeslube.com/overview.php

Can you tell me which of the products on that page you use.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jun 28, 2016 4:40 PM, "Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

karkauai

Hi all,
Back when I first got Kristy, and couldn't get the old Volvo over 2200rpm, one of the things I did was have the tank cleaned and fuel polished. I have used BioBor with every fill-up since then.  I first fill a 2-liter clear container with fuel from the dock andlet it sit for a few hours.  I've never found any fuel that was contaminated.  Anytime the boat sits for more than a month or two, I put a 5-ft length of pvc down to the bottom of the tank and pump 2 liters into my clear bottle.  Again, since cleaning the tank 8 years ago,I've never found any debris or water in my tank.  I used to change the Racors once a year, but they have always been clean.  I haven't changed them in 5 years now and they still work fine.

I've heard of adding oil or transmission fluid to the fuel, but haven't met a mechanic who advocated doing that...so far so good.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jun 28, 2016, at 2:49 PM, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Am I the only one here who's never heard of a valve lash?  What the heck is it?  Where is it? How is it adjusted?
Thanks
Kent

On Jun 28, 2016, at 4:38 PM, Dave Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

I don’t know what the Valve Lash is either, but it was in my Onan owner manual and I had it check (by Onan) last year (as well as the bearings).

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 10:08 PM

2016, at 4:38 PM, Dave Wallace svairops@hotmail.com

at 1:28 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@svbebe.com

"Dave Wallace svairops@hotmail.com [amelyachtowners]"
9:21 AM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@xs4all.nl [amelyachtowners]

2016, at 16:16, mshirloo@transpacific.us [amelyachtowners]
wrote:

Hello
everyone;
In talking to several different cruisers in the
med, it appears that some have had some serious issues with
bacterial or other types of growth in their diesel tanks
leading to the need for disposal and deep cleaning of the
fuel tanks.
I'd like hear others experiences and
solutions to the problem in order to avoid the
problem.
Thanks in advance
Mohammad and
AtyAMEL 54.
#099B&B
Kokomo
Posted
by: mshirloo@transpacific.usReply
via web post•Reply
to sender•Reply
to group•Start a
New Topic•Messages in this
topic (1)Have you tried the highest rated
email app?With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the
highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting
for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook,
AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with
1000GB of free cloud
storage.

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957 --
#yiv1616069957ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-mkp #yiv1616069957hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-mkp #yiv1616069957ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-mkp .yiv1616069957ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-mkp .yiv1616069957ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-mkp .yiv1616069957ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1616069957ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1616069957ygrp-lc #yiv1616069957hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1616069957ygrp-lc .yiv1616069957ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957activity span
.yiv1616069957underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv1616069957 .yiv1616069957attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv1616069957 .yiv1616069957attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1616069957 .yiv1616069957attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1616069957 .yiv1616069957attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv1616069957 .yiv1616069957attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1616069957 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv1616069957 .yiv1616069957bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1616069957 .yiv1616069957bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1616069957 dd.yiv1616069957last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1616069957 dd.yiv1616069957last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1616069957 dd.yiv1616069957last p
span.yiv1616069957yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv1616069957 div.yiv1616069957attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1616069957 div.yiv1616069957attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv1616069957 div.yiv1616069957file-title a, #yiv1616069957
div.yiv1616069957file-title a:active, #yiv1616069957
div.yiv1616069957file-title a:hover, #yiv1616069957
div.yiv1616069957file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1616069957 div.yiv1616069957photo-title a,
#yiv1616069957 div.yiv1616069957photo-title a:active,
#yiv1616069957 div.yiv1616069957photo-title a:hover,
#yiv1616069957 div.yiv1616069957photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1616069957 div#yiv1616069957ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv1616069957ygrp-msg p a span.yiv1616069957yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv1616069957 .yiv1616069957green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv1616069957 .yiv1616069957MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv1616069957 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1616069957 .yiv1616069957replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv1616069957 input, #yiv1616069957 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv1616069957
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-mlmsg #yiv1616069957logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-msg
p#yiv1616069957attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-reco
#yiv1616069957reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-sponsor #yiv1616069957ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-sponsor #yiv1616069957ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-sponsor #yiv1616069957ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv1616069957 #yiv1616069957ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv1616069957

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

The label is a big ambiguous about the name….  but this is the stuff I have been using…

http://www.howeslube.com/dieseltreat.php

On Jun 28, 2016, at 21:12, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Craig Briggs

Kent, Alexandre et al,
Valve Lash is just another term for Valve Clearance. That is the distance from the Valve tip to the rocker. Google it for some good You-Tubeson how to adjust.. An easy and fun DIY project for a day in the engine room.
Cheers,
Craig, SN#68

To: amelyachtowners@...