[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Swim ladder for swim step

karkauai

Thanks Derick.  How does the hinge part work?
Kent

On Jul 5, 2016, at 10:23 PM, derickgates@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

Although I currently use S-hooks on the support wires to hold them up and prevent the platform from accidentally deploying when it is stored, I have found that the platform lays flat against the stern and will stay up on its own, without these hooks.  In the absence of these S hooks, if I attached a line to the edge of the platform and let it trail overboard, perhaps with an end knot just off the water so that it did not grow slime, then I am sure pulling on that line could deploy the platform from the water and I already know from experience that the folding ladder can then be unfolded from the platform by someone swimming in the water.

The platform is made of fiberglass, with stainless steel hardware for the hinge and the eyes where the supporting cables are attached.  The ladder is also stainless steel. The surface of the platform is non-skid - an important safety feature.

I will try to post additional photos of the platform in the Photo section.

Derick
SM2K #400 Brava

Derick Gates SM2K #400 Brava

Kent,

The hinge consists of a long pintle that is incorporated into the fiberglass along the forward edge of the platform and the gudgeons are two stainless steel eyes that are attached to stainless steel brackets that conform to the outer edge of the hull in the stern.  These brackets are placed just above the rubber bumper on the stern. The ends of the pintles are capped with stainless steel eyes to prevent the pintles from slipping out of the gudgeons on the brackets.  (See the new pictures I posted in the Photos section).

 I assume that all pieces were custom made by the previous owner, and not available commercially.

Derick
SM2K#400

karkauai

Thank you Derick.  I thought that's what it looked like.  Very nice addition!
Kent