[Amel Yacht Owners] Yanmar 24 volt alternator make/model

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

I had exactly same symptoms on my boat.  It turned out to be a bad connection on the 24 volt alternator.  One of the small "field" wires had corroded and was no longer making contact.   Check all these connection closely -- up close with a light.  They are sometimes difficult to see.

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Jul 15, 2016, at 1:48 AM, Niels Hauerslev niels.hauerslev@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi, as a new owner, I am having trouble with the 24 Volt alternator not charging.
The red lamp on 24 Volt panel does not light up at any time, showing fault, so tried to hook up a 24 Volt G4 bulb to the "red light" wires, just to check if the lamp was OK, but still no light comes on...
Does anyone know the make/model of the 24 Volt alternator, sitting on the Yanmar 4JH on a SM2000?? I think I will get a new one, and get the old one repaired for spare. The sticker on the alternator is gone.
Thanks a billion!
Niels
Bigouz SM2000 #351

niels.hauerslev@...

Thanks to you all, I have been working at it today;
I checked the voltage at the alternator, while engine is on, and it shows the same voltage (25,5) as my battery bank...so no charge coming from the alternator...
Will check again the connections on the alternator, and on the relay mounted on the main engine.
Tried 2500 RPM also, and did not get it alive.
Still no light in the red bulb, on the 24 V panel.
Will update once I get it to work.
Not sure if my alternator is the Leece Neville, looks nothing like the pictures on the website.
I got a picture of my alternator and put it on dropbox;

Cheers,
Niels

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Niels,

That is NOT Leese Neville and based on your hull number I am 99.9% sure that it is not original equipment.

I am not sure what to tell you, but if I were you I would ask the previous owner what happened.

Since it is not original equipment, I am betting the relay is no longer there and the red light is non-functional...all of those were part of the original Amel setup.

I hope that an isolated ground alternator was installed in place of the original. You need to know if it is or not.

Where are you located?

Bill
BeBe 387

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 6:09 PM, niels.hauerslev@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks to you all, I have been working at it today;

I checked the voltage at the alternator, while engine is on, and it shows the same voltage (25,5) as my battery bank...so no charge coming from the alternator...
Will check again the connections on the alternator, and on the relay mounted on the main engine.
Tried 2500 RPM also, and did not get it alive.
Still no light in the red bulb, on the 24 V panel.
Will update once I get it to work.
Not sure if my alternator is the Leece Neville, looks nothing like the pictures on the website.
I got a picture of my alternator and put it on dropbox;

Cheers,
Niels

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Niels,

I looked at the photo again. I cannot be positive and I do not want to alarm you, but I believe that the alternator in the photo is not an isolated ground alternator. I think that you need some expert help.

Where are you?

Bill
BeBe 387
Trinidad

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 6:21 PM, Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
[...]

Dear Bill
Thank you for helping out.
I am located in Denmark (bought the boat 2 weeks ago in France and sailed her back here).
Olivier did the survey, and he confirmed the 24V alternator was charging at that time (a week before I took over the yacht).
He did not mention the alternator being non-original, and that the red lamp was out of order.
I hope it is the original alternator, and that it is isolated as required, to prevent galvanic corrosion!!!
Maybe I could ask for a picture of your installation, if you are near the boat, and possibly the full part code of the alternator on your vessel? I could order the correct part and have the system back to original.
Thanks a billion :)
BR Niels

Alan Leslie

Hi Neils
I've posted a pic of what our alternator looks like....it has been modified for an external reg but the originla reg is still there.
You can check if the alternator is isolated with your multimeter on ohms...between the negative alternator lead and the engine block, the resistance should be large, if it is close to 0.00 then your alternator is not isolated.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

I emailed you photos directly

Bill
BeBe 387

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 9:20 PM, niels.hauerslev@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dear Bill

Thank you for helping out.
I am located in Denmark (bought the boat 2 weeks ago in France and sailed her back here).
Olivier did the survey, and he confirmed the 24V alternator was charging at that time (a week before I took over the yacht).
He did not mention the alternator being non-original, and that the red lamp was out of order.
I hope it is the original alternator, and that it is isolated as required, to prevent galvanic corrosion!!!
Maybe I could ask for a picture of your installation, if you are near the boat, and possibly the full part code of the alternator on your vessel? I could order the correct part and have the system back to original.
Thanks a billion :)
BR Niels

niels.hauerslev@...

Thanks Bill and Alan, you are very kind to send the pictures.
Please look at the pictures I just posted, in the photos section (did I do it right?).
In my Amel manual, this alternator that is in my engine room, looks just the same...I am not sure if my boat was "born" with this alternator after all...I believe it may be original...
Any idea the brand / model of this one, the sticker is worn and not readable.
I measured all the cables, no fault, I have a new relay to try instead of the old one on the engine, - is this replay related to the red lamp?
Thank you so much.
Niels

Alan Leslie

Hi Neils,
yes the relay is related to the red lamp
maybe you have a faulty relay (unlikely), but its more likely to be the alternator itself and/or the alternator regulator.
I don't recognise that alternator, maybe someone else with a similar vintage boat can help.
Otherwise you need at least an auto-electrician, but preferably a marine electrician that understands  the Amel isolated ground system, to investigate it.
Good luck
Alan
Elyse SM437

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

Neils
I looked closely at picture you posted .  I have exactly same alternator.  No manufacturers' name is on  it.  just CE Label.  Check closely those small wire connections .

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Jul 16, 2016, at 3:26 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Neils,

yes the relay is related to the red lamp
maybe you have a faulty relay (unlikely), but its more likely to be the alternator itself and/or the alternator regulator.
I don't recognise that alternator, maybe someone else with a similar vintage boat can help.
Otherwise you need at least an auto-electrician, but preferably a marine electrician that understands  the Amel isolated ground system, to investigate it.
Good luck
Alan
Elyse SM437

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Yes, Ben. I have been emailing Neils directly with photos, but determined that it is an Amel installed standard 24VDC house battery alternator. Every SM 24VDC alternator I have seen has the optional 175 amp Leece Neville Alternator.

Regardless the relay is the same.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure of my capacity but much less than 174 Amp.  I'm guessing maybe 50

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Jul 17, 2016, at 1:10 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Ben,

Yes about 50...that is the standard SM alternator. The option was for a 175 amp.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 10:43 PM, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

eric freedman

Bill,

To what relay is this thread referring ?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Eric,
If you look at the photos that Neils uploaded, the relay is in the top right corner of one of the photos.
Its mounted on the engine just above the alternator and it controls the alarm circuit.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Sorry that should be TOP LEFT CORNER ....
Cheers
Alan

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 3:18 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,

Sorry to hear you are leaving BeBe,

It must be very traumatic..

UO few questions .

If the little cube relay a 24 or 12 volt relay.

To what are the wires connected?

Secondly have  you or anyone else  in the group followed the 2 red wires that come off the Valeo solenoid ?

One wire stops the engine and the other closes the Valeo Solenoid to connect the Battery negative to the engine block,

I have a problem with the wire that closes the ground circuit to connect it to the block. It is a real bear to trace the wire all the way to the engine panel.

I am getting annoyed trying to trace these wires and find the open in the circuit.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

-,

[...]

Kent,

Did you see Eric's email regarding a relay on the engine, either the fan relay or the relay connected to the 24V alternator?

I am hoping that Amel sent you a wiring diagram with the isolated ground kit, and just maybe it shows this wiring diagram.

If so, can you scan it and post it in the Files section?

Bill
BeBe 387, but not for long
Trinidad