Head sail furling

william_maffei@...

Hey everyone-

I have not look into this yet but last year I had the issue where the furling motor sheared from the plate that spins the sail out (while locking pin is engaged). Well, yesterday I had the same thing happen less than 1 year after it was "fixed". I actually furled into the wind under light air conditions. You know, no problem just used the cross method and rolled the sail manually but I am confused and frustrated as to why this is an issue. Can anyone chime in with suggestions or comments?

Many thanks,

Bill Maffei

SM #195

It's all Good

Miles

Did all of the screws shear?  I once had this problem.  It was caused by two of the screws working out.  The last one (or two) then sheared off.  I used lots of lock-tight when I replaced the screws and it has been fine for 15 years.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Miles

Sm 216 Ladybug.  Newport, RI

william_maffei@...

I looked in the files section and pictures section but did not have any luck... Can anyone provide a description of the parts needed to rebuild the jib furler gearbox. I have had successful experience rebuilding the other gearboxes I just need a detailed list of what is needed. Pictures are always welcome!

Bill Maffei
SM #195
It's all Good

karkauai

Hi all, Happy 2019!!!
We finally got away from the Chesapeake just before Christmas. Now in Lake Worth to visit friends.

Our jib furler failed to hold while shortening sail in 20kts of wind. The motor turns but sounds like the gears are grinding. After a few turns it gives and the sail unfurls. I just bought a new line for manually furling, 150’ of 3/8” StaSet. It doesn’t hold the sail furled part way, the line slips in the drum.

We managed to get it furled (loosely) completely, by augmenting the manual furling line with short bursts of the motor.

I think the gears are stripped or out of alignment. Does anyone know of a place in Palm Beach or Ft Lauderdale that might be able to do repairs? If not, will 7/16” line hold better on the furling drum until we can get to Amel Caraibes? Any other suggestions or thoughts?
I don’t want to disassemble the gearbox unless I’m pretty sure I can complete repairs before heading out again.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243

greatketch@...

Kent,

Before you condemn the gearing inside the box, be sure that the drive pin in the furling drum is fully engaging in the drive plate that is mounted on top of the gearbox.  We had our drive plate blow apart a few years ago, and other people have had trouble with the hole rounding over and pushing the pin up.  That sounds like the more likely cause.

Having just had our furling gearbox apart for routine maintenance, I think it very unlikely that the gearing inside the gearbox is the problem.  Certainly possible, but unlikely given what you describe as symptoms.

For the manual furling line, we have 10mm double braid dacron.  That worked great for us on the two occasions we needed it.  I wonder if the StaySet might be too stiff?  7/16" would not be too big.

If you need this unit disassembled and looked at, you might try Nance and Underwood, riggers in Fort Lauderdale.  They know Amel's very well, and Roger Underwood has been a help when we have used him.  If you need a new drive plate, I know they can make one for you.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA