Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] year round Caribbean marinas recommendations needed

Aldo Roldan

Does anyone have recommendations of where in the Caribbean to keep our SM year round? We will check out Martinique.

Thank you kindly,
Aldo Roldan
Moonshot SM
Princeton, NJ

On Jul 10, 2016, at 2:50 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Has anyone a clever idea about how to tweak the leech line tension while underway?

On the battenless roller furling sail the adjustment of the tension in the leech line seems much more of an issue than on a battened sail, yet reaching the clew of the mainsail borders on treacherous when the wind picks up and we're sailing close hauled.

On my old boat the i lead the leech line over a small cheek block at the head of the sail, and down the luff so I could adjust it at the mast.  Clever, but obviously not an option for a roller furled sail.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Highlands, NJ

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

In my opinion, Le Marin Martinique is the best place in the Caribbean to have a year round slip...the cost including electricity will be around 500 euros/month. On a month to month basis it is 575 euros including electricity. BTW, if you live aboard in Grenada you will pay close to $900USD per month just for electricity because the cost is about $0.65/KwH.

Le Marin will be lonely during Hurricane Season and there is a risk of a hurricane there.

Crews Inn in Trinidad has low cost electricity at about $0.13 USD/KwH.

Since electricity is a major expense for AC in the Caribbean, be sure to check the price.

Bill
BeBe 387, but not for long
Trinidad

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Aldo Roldan aroldan1796@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

karkauai

ConsiderTrinidad or Bonaire, or Curacao.  They are South of the Hurricane belt.
Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Jul 21, 2016, at 7:03 AM, Aldo Roldan aroldan1796@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Aldo,

The ABC's are relatively safe...but

In 2007 we had to run from Bonaire to ChiChiRiviche, VZ because of Hurricane Dean, then a month later the eye of Hurricane Felix missed us by 30 miles in Curacao.

The ABC's are considered safe from hurricanes, but i would not leave my boat unattended during hurricane season.

Bill
BeBe 387, but not for long
Trinidad

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Aruba is also a good hurricane avoidance spot.  However, the port in Oranjestaaad is pretty awful.

GL

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM 007

On 21 Jul 2016, at 14:54, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Posted by: Kent Robertson <karkauai@...>

Save time and get your email on the go with the Yahoo Mail app
Get the beautifully designed, lighting fast, and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail today. Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

karkauai

I've heard Aruba isn't very cruiser friendly, that's why I didn't include it.
Others have told me Cartagena and Panama are good places to leave your boat for extended periods.
Kent

On Jul 21, 2016, at 12:10 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Kent,

I believe that Cartagena should not be missed. Many cruisers were going there for Christmas when we were in that part of the Caribbean. It is a wonderful and safe European styled walled city. I loved Cartagena on so many levels. One thing about really great Cartagena is that you can have anything repaired and at little cost. A friend had an AC mechanic make the top half of his AC compressor which had developed a hole. He also had the guy make a new squirrel-cage fan for his AC blower...total cost was less than $200. There is a new marina in Cartagena and I understand from Eric KIMBERLITE that it is nice. I had our chain regalvanized there.

Panama is a different story. There is almost nothing near Shelter Bay Marina which is near the Panama Canal, but the marina and the hard stand storage is safe and good. For any decent shopping you have to take a bus to Panama City from Colon. Colon has always been a pace for criminals and outlaws...nothing has changed in 150 years.

And, of course, don't miss the San Blas Islands after your visit in Cartagena...be sure to buy Eric Bauhaus Cruising Guide. All charts are terrible, but his guide and chartlets are spot-on. He personally sounded the entire area and his chartlets have Google Earth overlays.

Bill
BeBe 387, but not for long
Trinidad

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 6:15 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Great advice, Bill.  I'm on it!
Kent

On Jul 21, 2016, at 2:51 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

eric freedman

Santa Marta Colombia is an amazingly beautiful marina.

The only problem is the coal fired plant across the bay. It quickly coats your boat with a layer of fine black dust. In a few years when the plant is gone it will be a premier place to stay. It is an IGY marina and almost brand new. For a short stay it is wonderful.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic (4)

Get the beautifully designed, lighting fast, and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail today. Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

smnefeli

This is our third Hurricane season at the IGY Marina in Saint Lucia. The marina, located in a large lagoon, is not officially an "hurrican hole" but is well protected and safe.
It is not unexpensive, but they really take care of your boat.
You can have a very large slip with two fingers with lines on both sides.
In Le Marin (Martinique) you can have the friendly assistance of the Amel team, but the security is not even near the level of the IGY one.
What we think is the real weak side of Le Marin is that the marina is really too crowded and many of the boats on the moorings could easily go adrift and become a danger: we would not like to be there in case of hurricane force winds.

Daniela e Fernando
s/y Nefeli
Rodney Bay - St. Lucia