[Amel Yacht Owners] Anchor Chain grade

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

where are you?

Bill

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:42 PM, mallamok@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi there

I have to replace my rusty chain on my SM. I am a quite unexperienced AMEL guy, what would you recomend, Grade 70 or Grade 40 (galvaniced).  Lenght 80m, Size 10.

Thanks

Peter

SM 003, SY WILSON

Peter Jaeger

The boat in La Rochelle

On Fri, 7/22/16, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@svbebe.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anchor Chain grade
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Friday, July 22, 2016, 12:47 PM

where are you?

Bill

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:42 PM, mallamok@yahoo.com
wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I have to replace my
rusty chain on my SM. I am a quite unexperienced AMEL
> guy, what would you recomend, Grade 70 or
Grade 40 (galvaniced).  Lenght
> 80m,
Size 10.

> Thanks
>
> Peter
>
> SM 003, SY WILSON

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Oh, good to know that you are in La Rochelle. You could also ask Amel for a chain supplier recommendation.

Grade 40 chain was an ACCO grade only and may not be available. ACCO has conformed to other chain makers and now makes Grade 43 rather than 40. Either is good for your Amel. Grade 43 is better and stronger than 40...both are considered High Test. Grade 70 has a gold tint and is stronger, but overkill and possibly overweight for your bow.

I believe that in France you will see chain rated by strength category, however what you want is 10mm High Test chain with ISO4565 specifications, unless if your gypsy has been changed to 10mm with DIN 766 specifications. The difference between DIN and ISO is the "pitch" of the chain. Take a look at this photo. If this is the windlass you have, you have, it is ISO. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/photos/albums/1454030119/lightbox/848353597?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL#zax/848353597

You should also download Anchor Chain, Galvanized dimensions and calibration.pdf from the Files section of the Amel Owners Group website.
This link may work for that:

I recommend that you buy French Made 10mm ISO High Test, beware that you may find Chinese made chain in France so be careful of super low prices and buy only from reputable sources.

Best,

Bill
BeBe 387, but not for long
Trinidad

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:55 PM, mallamok@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The boat in La Rochelle

To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: Friday, July 22, 2016, 12:47 PM

where are you?

wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I have to replace my
rusty chain on my SM. I am a quite unexperienced AMEL
> guy, what would you recomend, Grade 70 or
Grade 40 (galvaniced).  Lenght
> 80m,
Size 10.

> Thanks
>
> Peter
>
> SM 003, SY WILSON

Peter Jaeger

thank you Bill, very helpful.

Jean-Pierre Germain <jgermain@...>

If you go for G70, you can reduce the size to 8mm without any compromise on strength

Check out Vyv Cox website; I know him personally and his knowledge is priceless.

GL

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera SM007

On 22 Jul 2016, at 14:47, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

where are you?

Bill

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:42 PM, mallamok@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi there

I have to replace my rusty chain on my SM. I am a quite unexperienced AMEL guy, what would you recomend, Grade 70 or Grade 40 (galvaniced).  Lenght 80m, Size 10.

Thanks

Peter

SM 003, SY WILSON

karkauai

Your gypsy should be marked to specify chain size.  If not, take your gypsy with you and confirm the chain size.  Even 1-2 mm per link can make a significant difference.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jul 22, 2016, at 10:32 AM, mallamok@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

thank you Bill, very helpful.

karkauai

Any chance you could regalvanize it instead of buying new chain?  If it just looks rusty without loss of diameter, that might save quite a bit.  There are a couple of threads about this in the last few years.  Search Conversations for chain regalvanize.
Kent

On Jul 22, 2016, at 11:56 AM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Your gypsy should be marked to specify chain size.  If not, take your gypsy with you and confirm the chain size.  Even 1-2 mm per link can make a significant difference.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jul 22, 2016, at 10:32 AM, mallamok@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

thank you Bill, very helpful.

Peter Jaeger

I think that is not a option, the loss of diameter is partly abot 40%. But I will check the conversations to learn more about that.
Thx
Peter
SY WILSON SM 003
La Rochelle

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, July 22, 2016, 4:01 PM

Any chance you could

On Jul 22, 2016, at 11:56 AM, Kent Robertson karkauai@yahoo.com

mallamok@yahoo.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:

thank you Bill, very helpful.

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Look here in the anchoring section... Huge information.

I went 8 MM G70 grade; you will understand when you read...

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera SM007

To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Friday, July 22, 2016, 4:01 PM

Any chance you could

wrote:

Your gypsy should be
marked to specify chain size.  If not, take your gypsy with
you and confirm the chain size.  Even 1-2 mm per link can
make a significant difference.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy