[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Best bottom paint methods for Caribbean

karkauai

Trinidad Island 44 is a tin-based paint.  On my boat in the tropics and in Brunswick GA, and Fernandina Beach, FL which have strong tidal flows and brackish waters, it lasted 4+ years.
BUT!!!
Although it is legal in the US for boats longer than 75ft (and is used by most commercial ships, the Navy, and the Coast Guard), the Environmental Protection Agency is sticking it to us smaller boat owners.  Nothing else sticks to that paint.  You have to remove it completely if you paint your boat next time in the US.  The EPA requires that the boat be in an enclosed space, no sandblasting allowed.  It has to be chemically stripped, then any remaining paint has to be sanded using vacuum dust collection.  Then the paint removed had to be disposed of in a lined landfill.  I learned this the hard way and got bad information and advice from Customer Service at Trinidad paints.  Just stripping the paint cost $10,000, not to mention the cost of two paint jobs.

You can buy tin based paint in the Bahamas.
What I would do is use Island 44, and buy enough to paint the boat twice.  If I was going to repaint it next time in the US, I'd either do it myself or remove the labels and call it something my else.  I'd  have 8-9 years of great bottom paint.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy
Curaçao

On Jul 29, 2016, at 11:00 PM, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hi Ben:

I have had the bottom of our Amel SM #335 painted twice at Spice Island Marine in Grenada (last time about 6 years ago now) but they did fine work.  I always supervise any work on my boat and make sure they understand what you want done (written).  Our work included scuff sanding of hull and keel, application of two coats of anti-fouling with a third coat at the water-line and leading edges as Bill indicated.  I try to schedule the boat for two hours in sling on the day of launch to scuff sand and paint the bottom of the keel, that normally get neglected.  If you do this over the noon hour, usually they will only charge you for one hour of sling time but you get two.

About 6 years into the ownership of our boat I noticed while in Jolly Harbor, Antigua that my boat was the only one with bottom growth even after fresh paint.  I asked what was on the other boats and was told it was Trinidad Island 44 (a paint that isn't legal in the USA because it actually works in Caribbean waters).  I have used it ever since and have been very pleased.  You might consider it for your paint choice.  I haven't compared prices with the Micron but as I recall it takes about 5 1/2 US gal to do my boat as described.

All the best to you and Gayle,

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona   Amel SM #335   Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

Thanks Kent.  Great info.

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita