Flying the foc d'artimon and trinquette on Maramu 46

Graham Cresswell <grahamjcresswell@...>

Yet another display of my ignorance but here goes...

To save me re-inventing two wheels, would anyone be able to advise me the best configurations for flying the mizzen staysail and the trinquette.

In particular, I'd value opinions on the best attachment points for the tacks and how people generally route the sheets.

Many thanks in advance

Graham Cresswell

SY Jamesby
Maramu 46 #240

Alan Leslie

The foc d'artimon/mizzen staysail/mizzen ballooner....
Tack is on the u bolt in front of the dodger.
The peak on the halyard from the front of the mizzen mast
put a block on the eye bolt on the aft gunwale on the side you want the sheet
run the sheet outside the rail to the block and then  back to a winch
Haul it up the mizzen mast et voila

Trinquette/staysail...depends on what configuration you have
Inner forestays were not standard on Amel boats
We have a furler with a staysail on it but not tracks for the sheet blocks, we use snatch blocks
Some have tracks on the deck along side the cabin top
maybe you have a stay you can attach and a hank on staysail ??

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

jjjk12s@...

Graham,

Alan has given a pretty clear description. I do have an older rig than you but on my Maramu the tack of the foc d'artimon also goes to the U bolt on the deck in front of the dodger, the halyard is on the port side of the mizzen and the sail sheets in via blocks on the aft quarter. Obviously only for off the wind sailing when you won't need to change tack as it gets in the way of the boom.

The trinquette, in my understanding, can be a staysail or a smaller hank-on genoa, suitable for strong winds. On Popeye the trinquette is the latter and hanks on to the solent stay. The tack goes to the deck fitting with a short wire or strop to keep the foot of the sail above the guardrails, the halyard comes down on the port side of the mast, and the sail sheets in using the genoa sheet blocks. If you aren't sure what a solent stay is, it's an additional removable wire stay that is just inside the forestay and attached to the mast just under the forestay. It doesn't need extra running backstay support as it attaches so close to the top of the mast. Most of the time the bottom end attaches to the toerail near the shrouds with a pelican hook and it has a special heavy duty windable fitting to give it tension when connected up for use.

My trinquette also has one set of reefing points like a slab reefing mainsail and is heavy cloth so it can be used with a smaller area. It is useful in winds above 30kts or prolonged beating where a roller reefed genoa would have a baggy shape. I have just recently been using it whilst the genoa was having the UV strip repaired and have used it before when there was a problem with the roller furler. A solent stay also gives peace of mind that there is a backup if the forestay has a problem. I have always assumed it was factory fitted when the boat was new.

Regards

John, Maramu #91, Popeye

sbmesasailor

Hi Graham,

On our Maramu, there is a loop on the deck just forward of the main traveler.  That is the attachment point for the wire stay which on the mizzen sail should extend about two feet beyond the tack of the sail so the sail clears the main sheet.  We run the sheet outside the shrouds to the stern where we run it through a block at the top of a stanchion and a block at the bottom of the stanchion then to the stern winch.

In this configuration you will quickly note that the mizzen has to come down to tack.  Thus we only use it in long reaches.  It does add about a knot to our boat speed in wind 8-12 knots.  Beyond 12 knots we don't bother.  Finally, in a point of sail beyond a broad reach it becomes ineffective as it steals wind from the main.

Hope this helps.

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu #121