From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 11:50 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Windlass power disconnect?

Is there a way to remove electrical power from the anchor windlass on an SM without also disconnecting the jib furler?

I always considered it good seamanship to depower a windlass when underway to avoid any chance of accidental activation.  I know of at least one boat who had a switch short circuit after taking a wave over the bow in rough weather, and the running windlass did all kinds of damage before they could get it shut down.

I know that loosening the clutch on the gypsy will avoid the most serious issues, but still an electrical disconnect just seems like a good idea.

Anybody have a switch fail closed on the anchor windlass system?  If so, how did you stop it?

Bill Kinney

SM #160, Harmonie

Highlands, NJ

“Ships and men rot in port."

fetchinketch

image

fetchinketch

Sailing where we want, when we can!

Preview by Yahoo

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

On my boat the toggle switch turns off both the furler and the windlass. Even though it is labeled "Guindeau".  Maybe it was wired the day before the factory's summer vacation?

On Aug 3, 2016, at 00:08, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

There is a toggle switch in the forward cabin, port cabinet which has the circuit breaker and a toggle switch to turn off the windlass.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Hello all,

This is a follow up to an older thread about the peculiarities of the windlass power switch on older Super Maramus—or at least on our boat.  Here is a link to the final resolution I implemented on Harmonie.

I mentioned on that page, but I’ll do it here again, this is NOT applicable to newer boats where Joel assures me the switches work as I wished they had on ours.

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD
“Ships and men rot in port."

On Aug 3, 2016, at 10:21, Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

toggle

Stephen Davis

Thanks for sharing what looks to be a great improvement to the system on our older Amels. I'll add this one to my project list.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Cariacou, Grenada