[Amel Yacht Owners] Autopilot problem

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Paul,

You did not say whether or not you went through the Calibrations in the S3G manual after you installed it. From what you said, my first thought is maybe you did not.

My second thought is that you have some metal near the Raymarine FluxGate Compass. It is locate in the corner of the dining seating Port Side and Forward. Metal in the storage areas near this will have the same sort of issue you had.

My last thought is that you may have a loose wire on the S3G...either the rudder reference connection or the fluxgate connection. Inspect the wires very carefully.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:15 AM, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The other day we change our old Autohelm type 300 course computer to a Raymarine S3G, still keeping the old Autohelm ST 7000 control unit. It all started very well it kept the course very straight and had no problem even though the wave was rather high and wind only moderate, except that the compass reading was almost 180 degree wrong.

Then after a while the Autopilot goes totally berserk, steering away totally uncontrolled, we put it in stand by and then Auto again it worked fine for ca 24 h, then berserk again.

When later at harbor we notice that in Stand by mode the compass suddenly gave reading all over the place, it change every second all over the 360 degree, not strange that it does not steer well.

 Does anyone have experienced similar behavior? Anyone know the remedy for such behavior?

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259 currently in Gibraltar

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

Hi Paul
Not sure of the old control unit is compatible with the s3g course computer. We have the s3g and was deply advised to change the control unit also. It has worked like a clock.

Regards
Annsofie & Jonas
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPad

18 aug. 2016 kl. 01:51 skrev 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

[...]

Paul Osterberg

Hello Annsofie, we where told that the old control unit would work, but we bought an other one to have as a spare, I will install the new one and see if it's improve.
Bill concerning calibration it did not work out when tried, but do not think thats the problem as it sometimes steer the boat very well for many hours, will try again to calibrate when the new control head is installed

Thank you
Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259

Herbert Lackner

Paul,

as far as I know the old control unit (ST7000) works with the new computer but it is not possile to calibrate the new course computer with the old unit.

The wrong compass reading (180 degrees) show that the system has not been calibrated, normally on the SM and SN the compass is installed looking to stern. During setup this has to be configured in the calibration.

When I changed the old course computer I also changed to control untit and left the ST7000 as a spare on board, all other functions will work with that unit.

changing only the course computer without running the calibration will result exactly in what you described...

fair winds, herbert
SN120, KALI MERA, Trinidad

Paul Osterberg

Herbert, Annsofie!
Thank you I have now installed the ST 6000 + control head, and at least I manage to make the set up supposed to be done at the dock, when leaving we will do the sea trial and final set up, so fare looking better as the manual we have now correspond to whats happening on the display
Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi, on an Amel this is unlikely to be the cause. However I offer it for interest. On a previous boat when we were transmitting on the ssb radio the auto helm went nuts. The ssb cable went past too close to the controller. There is a lot of power in the ssb cable when transmitting. Receiving was fine so when transmitting we learned to put a hand on the tiller
Regards
Danny
Sm 299
Ocean pearl

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On Aug 19, 2016 12:50 AM, "Santorin LO santorinlo18@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,
Not exactly sure on you issue, however, I had an issue on my Santorin for almost 2 seasons where we would set a course, it will be keeping it for sometime disregarding weather conditions (10mins - few hours) and then will just loose it like it was disconnected from the actual steering. then when we s/by and auto again - it would function again for sometime and loose course again - NO real pattern in terms of weather conditions, timing etc...

However, while no one could explain or fix, I finally found someone who immediately said - need to overhaul the clutch (i think - will look into my relevant post on this) and for the last 2 years no problems at all.

Hope it helps