Reya Bilge Pump

seagasm@...

I have discovered the nylon gear cog on the main bilge pump has broken. This causes the gear to slip when engaged. Ideally I would ike to replace this gear wheel however, I am not getting any response from Reya and there does not seem to be any information in the "Files" folder on pumps. Does anyone have a contact at Reya or otherwise please? Thank you.

Kind Regards

Barry & Robyn

Tradewinds III SM #171

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Hello, is this the gear that turns the rotary action of the motor into the pistoning action the pump needs?

Regards,

Peregrinus
SM2K #350
At anchor, Olbia

---In amelyachtowners@..., <seagasm@...> wrote :

I have discovered the nylon gear cog on the main bilge pump has broken. This causes the gear to slip when engaged. Ideally I would ike to replace this gear wheel however, I am not getting any response from Reya and there does not seem to be any information in the "Files" folder on pumps. Does anyone have a contact at Reya or otherwise please? Thank you.

Kind Regards

Barry & Robyn

Tradewinds III SM #171

seagasm@...

Yes, the motor turns a spiral pinion geared to drive the gear wheel, bit like a differential. The gear wheel has a plastic or neoprene ring gear pressed onto the alluminium gear wheel, like the ring gear of a flywheel. The gearwheel operates a piston lever that operates the pump diaphram to pump the bilge. It is the plastic/neoprene ring gear that has broken and the ring gear is slipping around the gear wheel that operates the lever action for the diaphram. Hope that makes sense. I sent another email to Reya but have had no reply. Pity these French sites don't translate to English, especially when they manufacture to distribute world wide.

Thank you for your interest.

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn Tradewinds III SM 171

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Well, it sounds like the same white gear that broke on our AMFA (note, not-Reya) bilge pump.  Amel sent us a replacement gear for €129.35, ex-VAT, plus shipping, a couple of years ago.

Cheerio,

---In amelyachtowners@..., <seagasm@...> wrote :

Yes, the motor turns a spiral pinion geared to drive the gear wheel, bit like a differential. The gear wheel has a plastic or neoprene ring gear pressed onto the alluminium gear wheel, like the ring gear of a flywheel. The gearwheel operates a piston lever that operates the pump diaphram to pump the bilge. It is the plastic/neoprene ring gear that has broken and the ring gear is slipping around the gear wheel that operates the lever action for the diaphram. Hope that makes sense. I sent another email to Reya but have had no reply. Pity these French sites don't translate to English, especially when they manufacture to distribute world wide.

Thank you for your interest.

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn Tradewinds III SM 171

Craig Briggs

Hi Barry and Robyn,
This is an easy DIY fix. See my posts on the subject. It was several years ago and the pump is still going strong . Basically you'll drill 3 or 4 small holes through the gear ring into the center disc and insert small nails (or just break off the drill bit leaving the broken part in place).  Space the pins evenly around the perimeter.
Good luck with it.
Craig Briggs Sn68 Sangaris

seagasm@...

Now that is an interesting concept, it would definately solve the problem. Thank you Craig.

Kind regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM 171