Leroy Somer Outhaul motor

Alan Leslie

I have had serious problems with the outhaul motor. It has been previously repaired and the wire/ brush holder connection is not good.

I've previously taken it apart on deck to resolder the wires as the cable is long enough just to have it sit on a box at the mast foot.

I tried to take the outhaul motor completely off the other day. Getting it off the gearbox is no issue, but the cable won't come out of the mast..it seems that the furling motor cable and the outhaul motor cable are tied together inside the mast..if I pull on one cable the other one moves with it even though I have the outhaul motor disconnected from the solenoid in the fwd head.

Does anyone have any advice on how to remove the cable from the mast ?

Thanks

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

Walter

Hi Alan,
I took the outhaul motor and gearbox apart last year, refurbished the motor and got a new gearbox. No problem with the cables - maybe yours are wrapped around each other by coincidence and you are able to unwrapp them carefully trying this way and the other where they appear in the forward head.
The Leroy Somer technician insisted that the cable has to be hard-soldered to the brush holder connection. This cannot be done when the brass brush-holder is in place, but it can be slipped out of its plastic housing. Then you can hard solder (I used silver) and slip it in again. But hard soldering can´t be done nicely on the deck of the boat, so you are back to getting the cable out.
The plastic housing of the brush holder and it´s brass inner part is standard equipment for electric motors.

Kind regards,
Walter (Noa, SM2K 436)

Alan Leslie

Thanks Walter,
OK, I'll try that and see if I can get the cable out.
I've managed to pry the brush holder out of the plastic holder on deck, and I used silver solder flux and silver solder to solder the cable to the brush holder, after cleaning everything with a small wire brush...it's working for the moment but I've just ordered a new motor from Maude and I'll keep the old one as a spare just in case.
If I can't get the cable out I thought I would just cut it and use a pair of heavy duty crimp connectors to connect the new motor to the existing cable...life seems to always be a compromise.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Walter

Hi Alan,
sounds good. Going backward and forward and turning an bit and remember the number of turns - if there is a tie and you try pulling both cables from their motor side you might see it/something where the lower/outhaul cable comes out.
Good luck,
Walter (Noa SM2K 436)

Walter

Alan,
if you are good in silver soldering and don´t get the cable out you could solder the new motor cable to the old one. If you stick them together like two opposite paint brush, it will suck the silver in and you get nice clean solding. Plus vulcanic tape and heat shrink, it it durable, safe and easier to fit under the white cap compared to heavy duty crimp.
Cheers,
Walter (Noa SM2K 436)