[Amel Yacht Owners] alternator-to-battery charger

Hi Rossienio,

                            Forgive me if I sound pedantic, but not all Amel boats are the same. For that reason when messages are posted  on this site there is a very useful custom of adding your name, boat name, what model Amel it is, what number and where your boat is located.  You might be surprised to see how much easier it is to get an answer by adding that information.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece

From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of rossienio@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: 30 August 2016 10:03:16
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] alternator-to-battery charger

Good morning to all of you. Someone knows this item, multistate split-charge of  Sterling-power and know if it is suitable for Amel boats?

rossienio@...

Good morning Ian, no problem at all, indeed thank you for your clarification, that, from now, I will use for ever. I need to charge AGM batteries but the engine alternator does not seem to haldle them. The problem would be solved by Sterling product specified in the object. But I do not know if this item is compatible with electrical system of santorin, which I think,there is similar to that of SM. Regards
Enio Rossi
Santorin 122 Earendil
Italy

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

Can you supply a model number or maybe a webpage link to the part you are considering?

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie
Block Island, RI, USA
“Ships and men rot in port."

On Aug 30, 2016, at 07:23, rossienio@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good morning Ian, no problem at all, indeed thank you for your clarification, that, from now, I will use for ever. I need to charge AGM batteries but the engine alternator does not seem to haldle them. The problem would be solved by Sterling product specified in the object. But I do not know if this item is compatible with electrical system of santorin, which I think,there is similar to that of SM. Regards
Enio Rossi
Santorin 122 Earendil
Italy

rossienio@...

Good morning Bill, the product is alternator-to-battery-chargers up to 130A or up 400A in http://www.sterling-power.com

or USA Location information - USA.com

Regards.
Rossienio
SN122
Italy

Andrew & Kate Lamb

I installed the Universal Advanced Digital Alternator Regulator Pro Reg DW (waterproof) PDARW a couple of years ago and wrote this up and published it on the forum in the documents area. The regulator has worked so far well and supports AGM batteries. The separate remote control however stopped working within a few months and is not very good quality so I would not recommend that.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM472

Canet en Roussillon

From: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: Tuesday, 30 August 2016 at 16:33
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>

Good morning Bill, the product is alternator-to-battery-chargers up to 130A or up 400A in http://www.sterling-power.com

or USA Location information - USA.com

mage

USA Location information - USA.com

USA.com provides easy to find states, metro areas, counties, cities, zip codes, and area codes information, including population, races, income, housing, sc...

Preview by Yahoo

Regards.
Rossienio
SN122
Italy

Alan Leslie

Hello
It's not the Amel system it has to be compatible with, it is the alternator and the batteries.
It is likely that your alternator has a standard automotive regulator in it and you are correct, this is no good for charging deep cycle batteries.
Look in the files section and you will find information on installation of a Sterling regulator and also of a Next Step regulator (what I have). Both systems work with deep cycle batteries including AGM.
Good luck
Alan
Elyse SM437
Iles Belep

rossienio@...

Good morning, I can not find the information on regulators in the files section . Could someone give me some more information to find them? Thanks

enio rossi
SN122 - Earendil
Italy

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Hi enio

For the document try this link:

The main advantage of this approach is that the device does not handle the large currents but modifies the output of the alternator whereas the “alternator to battery charger” approach handle the large loads and are arguably more likely to fail over time. The main disadvantage is that you need to modify the wiring in the alternator to install them.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM 472

Canet en Roussillon

From: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: Wednesday, 31 August 2016 at 09:13
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>

Good morning, I can not find the information on regulators in the files section . Could someone give me some more information to find them? Thanks

enio rossi
SN122 - Earendil
Italy

Alan Leslie

Hi Enio,
I see Andrew gave you the link to his file, here's mine

The difference between my system and the Sterling system is that the Sterling system retains the original regulator. My system requires the alternator brush leads to be led outside the alternator for connection to nthe regulator.
I any event what both systems do is to control the field current to the alternator which in turn controls the output current of the alternator.
In both systems the alternator output leads are directly connected to the battery bank, there is no part of the system with high currents flowing through it except for the heavy cables that go directly from the alternator to the battery bank.

Trust this helps
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

rossienio@...

Thank you all for the help. But I also have this doubt. The Sterling system has two temperature sensors for temperature of the battery and alternator. The manual says that these should be connected to the alternator and to the negative of battery. But these connection on negative are compatible with the electrical system of Amel??? Regards

eniorossi
SN122 earendil
Italy

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Hi Enio

I think the only issue might be if the temperature sensors connect the engine casing to the battery –ve – I do not believe that this is the case but I will check with a test meter in a few days when I am at the boat. I believe these temperature sensors and isolated.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM 472

Canet-en-Roussillon

From: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: Thursday, 1 September 2016 at 09:01
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>

Thank you all for the help. But I also have this doubt. The Sterling system has two temperature sensors for temperature of the battery and alternator. The manual says that these should be connected to the alternator and to the negative of battery. But these connection on negative are compatible with the electrical system of Amel??? Regards

eniorossi
SN122 earendil
Italy

Alan Leslie

Hi Enio,
In my experience the metal lug of the temperature sensor is isolated from the sensor wires, so you should have no issues with the alternator case.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse
SM437