[Amel Yacht Owners] Polina Star, an Oyster 825...if you are interested

Mark Erdos

Anything made in England with more than two moving parts is going to break.

(sorry if my fellow Brits find offense with this – but deep down you know it’s true)

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Tampa Bay for hurricane season

Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:38 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Polina Star, an Oyster 825...if you are interested

To all interested:

There was an article in Sailing Today that I missed in February 2016 regarding Polina Star, an Oyster 825. I became interested in this Oyster because the Russian who bought her from Oyster requested that the LOA be extended to 90 feet. In the process Oyster chose to NOT relocate the keel, but rather they added poured concrete and concrete blocks to the bow to "balance" the boat. I assume that this is an Oyster "construction method."

Now, I read that the "GRID" (as in Beneteau) was glassed to the hull after the hull was removed from the mould. That is certainly NOT the Amel method.

Oyster made no mention of the keel position or of the concrete in their post-sinking and inspection report of Polina Star, but they did mention the GRID construction process. This is what Oyster said:

"Oyster believes that the cause is likely to be poor secondary lamination of the grid ‘matrix’ in the bilge. This structure was moulded outside the hull and laminated into place afterwards, in a technique that is widely used in the boatbuilding industry."

One more reason that choosing Amel was a very good idea.

Best,

Bill

BeBe 387

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Mark , Given your pessimistic view of English products you will no doubt be thankful that Monsieur Amel didn't choose Lewmar winches , B& G instruments or Volvo engines ( made by Perkins ) .  Or maybe you were just speaking from personal experience , as an Englishman with more than two moving parts ?
Toodle pip ! 

Ian ( made in Scotland ) and Judy ( made in Southern Rhodesia ) Pen Azen , SM 302 Greece

On 31 Aug 2016, at 19:47, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

(sorry if my fellow Brits find offense with this – but deep down you know it’s true)

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

To all interested:

There was an article in Sailing Today that I missed in February 2016 regarding Polina Star, an Oyster 825. I became interested in this Oyster because the Russian who bought her from Oyster requested that the LOA be extended to 90 feet. In the process Oyster chose to NOT relocate the keel, but rather they added poured concrete and concrete blocks to the bow to "balance" the boat. I assume that this is an Oyster "construction method."

Now, I read that the "GRID" (as in Beneteau) was glassed to the hull after the hull was removed from the mould. That is certainly NOT the Amel method.

Oyster made no mention of the keel position or of the concrete in their post-sinking and inspection report of Polina Star, but they did mention the GRID construction process. This is what Oyster said:

"Oyster believes that the cause is likely to be poor secondary lamination of the grid ‘matrix’ in the bilge. This structure was moulded outside the hull and laminated into place afterwards, in a technique that is widely used in the boatbuilding industry."

Best,

Bill

BeBe 387

Mark Erdos

Too funny.

Funny you should mention Lewmar winches and B&G instruments. Both items are on our repair list right now L

However, on a previous boat we did have a lot of good luck with our Perkins Diesel – it even ran underwater (for a little while). We fondly remember hitting the starter with a hammer on days when the solenoid would stick.

Tally ho and all that!

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Yacht: Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Polina Star, an Oyster 825...if you are interested

Mark , Given your pessimistic view of English products you will no doubt be thankful that Monsieur Amel didn't choose Lewmar winches , B& G instruments or Volvo engines ( made by Perkins ) .  Or maybe you were just speaking from personal experience , as an Englishman with more than two moving parts ?
Toodle pip ! 

Ian ( made in Scotland ) and Judy ( made in Southern Rhodesia ) Pen Azen , SM 302 Greece

On 31 Aug 2016, at 19:47, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

To all interested:

Best,

Bill

BeBe 387