Capt Richard Piller
Newport RI
Cell 603 767 5330

On Sep 12, 2016, at 23:59, kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

DONE

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: Monday, September 12, 2016 6:04 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Joker Valve
To: amelyachtowners@...

> Can someone figure out how to change the heading on these posts
> about the salt water manifold? That should be something easy to find.
>
> Kristy was completed in 1999, but has the "SM2K" on the rail.
> She must have been one of the first to be called a SM2K
>
> Kent
> SM 243
> Kristy
>
> On Sep 12, 2016, at 2:48 PM, Joel Potter jfpottercys@...
> [amelyachtowners] wrote:
>
> Hi Eric Millennium/2000 series boats brought all sea water in as
> on yours, through the one intake/mini sea chest. 'Classic'
> models such as Kent' s also have separate salt water supply for
> each head and the anchor wash feeds from the forward head feed.
> You are on the money regarding the manifold. All SM 53's are now
> in the window of possible failure. Really a bad thing to happen.
> You all should check the manifold by removing all branch
> hose/feeds. This is very important as I have been seeing many
> failures and near failures on boats I have for sale or recently
> sold. Better safe than sorry.
>
> Joel F. Potter
> THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY
> 954-812-2485
>
> > On Sep 12, 2016, at 2:40 PM, kimberlite@...
> [amelyachtowners] wrote:
> >

> > Kent,
> > my anchor wash, High pressure wash, and the toilets get their
> water from the Manifold.
> > You might want to checkout the manifold. Mine was made of
> copper and rotted away years ago.
> > Fair Winds,
> > Eric
> > SM376 Kimberlite

karkauai

Great  suggestion, Richard.
 A few years ago I was aboard and noticed the bilge pump was running. At quick check showed no fresh water was running in the boat so I looked into the engine room and found that two hose clamps had failed on the output for the air conditioning cooling pump. It was pumping water into the engine room at an incredible rate. I quickly turned off the pump and plugged the hole. The old hose clamps, which I checked regularly had failed at the tightening mechanism, which was not stainless. They had felt tight when I did a cursory check, but had been stuck to the hose and didn't pop open. When the second one failed the pump pushed the hose off and by the time I found the problem, less than a minute, there was ankle deep water in the engine room. I have since bought all stainless hose clamps and replaced every one on the boat.

I now turn off the air-conditioners whenever I leave the boat for more than a short time.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Sep 13, 2016, at 8:05 AM, Richard03801 richard03801@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hey folks when you are doing all the inspections on the salt water system buy a few boxes of hose clamps and do a replacement project. I've seen more then one boat with leakage due to clamp failure.
Not pleasant task but you'll sleep better at night.

Fair Winds Smooth Sailing
Capt Richard Piller
Newport RI
Cell 603 767 5330

On Sep 12, 2016, at 23:59, kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

DONE

> Can someone figure out how to change the heading on these posts
> about the salt water manifold? That should be something easy to find.
>
> Kristy was completed in 1999, but has the "SM2K" on the rail.
> She must have been one of the first to be called a SM2K
>
> Kent
> SM 243
> Kristy
>
> On Sep 12, 2016, at 2:48 PM, Joel Potter jfpottercys@...
> [amelyachtowners] wrote:
>
> Hi Eric Millennium/2000 series boats brought all sea water in as
> on yours, through the one intake/mini sea chest. 'Classic'
> models such as Kent' s also have separate salt water supply for
> each head and the anchor wash feeds from the forward head feed.
> You are on the money regarding the manifold. All SM 53's are now
> in the window of possible failure. Really a bad thing to happen.
> You all should check the manifold by removing all branch
> hose/feeds. This is very important as I have been seeing many
> failures and near failures on boats I have for sale or recently
> sold. Better safe than sorry.
>
> Joel F. Potter
> THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY
> 954-812-2485
>
> > On Sep 12, 2016, at 2:40 PM, kimberlite@...
> [amelyachtowners] wrote:
> >

> > Kent,
> > my anchor wash, High pressure wash, and the toilets get their
> water from the Manifold.
> > You might want to checkout the manifold. Mine was made of
> copper and rotted away years ago.
> > Fair Winds,
> > Eric
> > SM376 Kimberlite

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Kristy,

Funny you should have learned this point; we do exactly the same… plus we have a bilge water/engine exhaust overheat/genset exhaust overheat alarm(installed.  Fat lot of good this will do if you are not onboard.

Our practice is to shut off all electrics whenever we leave the boat.  i.e no one to monitor? It aint on!  Good seamanship really!

Jean-Pierre Germain,
Eleuthera SM007

> [...]

> models such as Kent' s also have separate salt water supply for
> each head and the anchor wash feeds from the forward head feed.
> You are on the money regarding the manifold. All SM 53's are now
> in the window of possible failure. Really a bad thing to happen.
> You all should check the manifold by removing all branch
> hose/feeds. This is very important as I have been seeing many
> failures and near failures on boats I have for sale or recently
> sold. Better safe than sorry.
>
> Joel F. Potter
> THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY
> 954-812-2485
>
> > On Sep 12, 2016, at 2:40 PM, kimberlite@...
> [amelyachtowners] wrote:
> >

> > Kent,
> > my anchor wash, High pressure wash, and the toilets get their
> water from the Manifold.
> > You might want to checkout the manifold. Mine was made of

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

While you are following Capt R’s great advice about replacing your hose clamps, get some of these:
http://clamp-aid.com
They are very cheap, and I know they save me from lots of scratches and scrapes while working on, or around, hose clamps.  That’s pretty much every project on a boat!

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie
Newport, RI, USA
“Ships and men rot in port."

On Sep 13, 2016, at 08:05, Richard03801 richard03801@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hey folks when you are doing all the inspections on the salt water system buy a few boxes of hose clamps and do a replacement project. I've seen more then one boat with leakage due to clamp failure.
Not pleasant task but you'll sleep better at night.

Fair Winds Smooth Sailing
Capt Richard Piller
Newport RI
Cell 603 767 5330

On Sep 12, 2016, at 23:59, kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

DONE

> Can someone figure out how to change the heading on these posts
> about the salt water manifold? That should be something easy to find.
>
> Kristy was completed in 1999, but has the "SM2K" on the rail.
> She must have been one of the first to be called a SM2K
>
> Kent
> SM 243
> Kristy
>
> On Sep 12, 2016, at 2:48 PM, Joel Potter jfpottercys@...
> [amelyachtowners] wrote:
>
> Hi Eric Millennium/2000 series boats brought all sea water in as
> on yours, through the one intake/mini sea chest. 'Classic'
> models such as Kent' s also have separate salt water supply for
> each head and the anchor wash feeds from the forward head feed.
> You are on the money regarding the manifold. All SM 53's are now
> in the window of possible failure. Really a bad thing to happen.
> You all should check the manifold by removing all branch
> hose/feeds. This is very important as I have been seeing many
> failures and near failures on boats I have for sale or recently
> sold. Better safe than sorry.
>
> Joel F. Potter
> THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY
> 954-812-2485
>
> > On Sep 12, 2016, at 2:40 PM, kimberlite@...
> [amelyachtowners] wrote:
> >

> > Kent,
> > my anchor wash, High pressure wash, and the toilets get their
> water from the Manifold.
> > You might want to checkout the manifold. Mine was made of
> copper and rotted away years ago.
> > Fair Winds,
> > Eric
> > SM376 Kimberlite

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Is it possible that some of these manifolds have disintegrated because they were not connected to the bonding system.

Andrew
Ronpische
SM472
Canet-en-Roussillon