Rig Tuning, mizzen mast shivering

Paul Osterberg

When sailing in rough waves and the boat is "falling" from a wave and hitting a little bit hard, sometimes the mizzen mast is shivering a bit. Do not fell ok with that. I notice that the mizzen after shrouds are less tensioned compared with the rest of the rig, could that be a reason? Have read from the thread that the twin back stay should not be tensioned very hard, as it can be cracks in the transom fastening, but I do think if the mast is worked forward when hitting a wave that will create very high load on the back stay and also stress cracks.

Anyone with experience on this?

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259