Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Pickling watermaker

eric freedman

I believe there are 2 discussions about pickling one is for the winter,  and one is general pickling.

After the sodium meta=whatever ate up my end caps- I stopped pickling it, I just run fresh water through it every few weeks when not in use. It has been fine for about 6 years. It is important to replace the prefilters as they do develop some growth in them.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Friday, October 21, 2016 10:01 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Pickling watermaker

And here :

Dow Answer Center

Dow Answer Center

Sodium metabisulfite (SMBS) is commonly used for removal of free chlorine and as a biostatic. Other chemical reducing agents exist (e.g., sulfur dioxide), but they are not as cost-effective as SMBS.

Preview by Yahoo

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Hi Eric,
That's fine if you are near the boat, or can guarantee that you always have enough fresh water and do what Bill on Bebe did with a solenoid valve and a timer to flush the system regularly, but my point was the distinction between SMBsulphate and sulphite which are completely different chemicals.
I prefer to follow what the membrane manufacturer says, rather than what somebody "believes" to be true.
But each to his own....whatever works for you can be fine for you...but maybe not for me...
Cheers
Alan'
Elyse SM437

eric freedman

Alan,

When I leave the boat at a marina and am away for a month or more I pay the dockmaster to run my watermaker. I added a switch to the fresh water pump in the engine room , so that the only time the pressure water is on is when they run the watermaker.

Works for me but each case is unique. I just lost faith in sodium- whatever as it destroyed all the fittings and bobbin on my watermaker.

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2016 3:25 AM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Pickling watermaker

Hi Eric,

That's fine if you are near the boat, or can guarantee that you always have enough fresh water and do what Bill on Bebe did with a solenoid valve and a timer to flush the system regularly, but my point was the distinction between SMBsulphate and sulphite which are completely different chemicals.

I prefer to follow what the membrane manufacturer says, rather than what somebody "believes" to be true.

But each to his own....whatever works for you can be fine for you...but maybe not for me...

Cheers

Alan'

Elyse SM437

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Tm with you on this Eric,
I approached the Watermaker with fear and trembling. How to care for it, how to clean it how to pickle it. When to pickle it. How long could you leave it before you should pickle it. 
I am grateful to the advice from this group which lead me to the fresh water back flush. Now I just back flush with fresh water after every use. There are times I leave it untouched for two months or more when I am away from the boat. I just start it up, run to waste for a few minutes and all good. The membranes are still good. 120 ppm. The pre filter does need changing periodically but that would apply anyway.
It is some years since we put any outside water into our tanks. Got to avoid introducing chlorine. Another good bit of advice from this group.
Cheers
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Sent: Saturday, 22 October 2016 8:39 PM

Alan,
When I leave the boat at a marina and am away for a month or more I pay the dockmaster to run my watermaker. I added a switch to the fresh water pump in the engine room , so that the only time the pressure water is on is when they run the watermaker.
Works for me but each case is unique. I just lost faith in sodium- whatever as it destroyed all the fittings and bobbin on my watermaker.
Fair Winds
Eric

Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2016 3:25 AM

Hi Eric,
Cheers
Alan'
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

OK,

Here's what I got from Dessalator...

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your message.

For the sterilization we use Sodium metabisulphite HP (see specification sheet enclosed and procedure). You need 80gr of it

We don’t recommend to use a cleaning product: Simply rinse your system once a month.

With best regards

Secretary Dessalator

Rosyne Castino

Note Sodium meta BISULPHITE....not sulphate.....

Cheers
Alan
Elyse Sm437

seagasm

Yep, readily available from your local Home Brew Shop, cheers!

Best Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM 171

Patrick McAneny

Do these products protect the system from freezing ? I need to store the boat on the hard for the winter , so I cannot flush it with fresh water weekly .I know people that use potable antifreeze . Is anyone aware of damage done by using antifreeze with glycol ? It was recommended to me by Great Water , the dealer for these watermakers.
Thanks,
Pat SM#123

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Fri, Oct 21, 2016 9:47 pm

Interestingly Filmtec, the manufacturers of the membranes talk about SMBS - Sodium Meta BiSulphite...not sulphate....

Dow Answer Center

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
Marsden Cove

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

For freeze protection Dessalator say 1% SMBS in 20% glycerine.  Not glycol.  

On Oct 24, 2016, at 08:17, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Do these products protect the system from freezing ? I need to store the boat on the hard for the winter , so I cannot flush it with fresh water weekly .I know people that use potable antifreeze . Is anyone aware of damage done by using antifreeze with glycol ? It was recommended to me by Great Water , the dealer for these watermakers.
Thanks,
Pat SM#123

From: divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>

Interestingly Filmtec, the manufacturers of the membranes talk about SMBS - Sodium Meta BiSulphite...not sulphate....

Dow Answer Center

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
Marsden Cove

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

Ooops, my bad.  Typing before morning coffee...  Dessalator says 1% Sodium bisulfite in 20% glycerine for storage and freeze protection.

On Oct 24, 2016, at 09:02, Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

For freeze protection Dessalator say 1% SMBS in 20% glycerine.  Not glycol.  

On Oct 24, 2016, at 08:17, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks,
Pat SM#123

From: divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>

Dow Answer Center

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
Marsden Cove