From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of milesbid@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: 03 November 2016 22:22:22
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] anchor chain wash

I am in the process of rebuilding the bow on my 1998 Super Maramu after something ran into my boat on its mooring, and I am in need of help.

I am reconstructing the anchor chain wash and I need to know how it was led to the outlet and where and how the end nozzle was attached.  All that I have now is a mangled copper pipe that comes out of the port fiberglass where the brown fiberglass bow part starts.  This pipe looks like it was in the fiberglass and came out over the chain above the chain roller (all gone).  I also have a plastic nozzle that would have directed a horizontal stream of water downward.

Could anyone who is near or on a pre-2000 Super Maramu, please take a photo of the chain washer and send it to me at milesbid at gmail.com .

Regards,

Miles

 s/y Ladybug, now in a shed at NEB, Portsmouth, RI

Patrick McAneny

Miles, I have to agree with Ian. I found the wash down ineffective , particularly in muddy conditions. Being in the Chesapeake our chain is always muddy.I used the original pump , in the port locker I installed a valve directing the water to a garden hose ,with a high pressure wand , it allows me to effectively wash off the mud before the chain comes onboard . I know your question was about gaining photos of the bow area. I have the same vintage SM as you, and my boat is out front on my mooring , as soon as it calms down a little, I will take several photos of the bow area and inside the locker . We have about 15kts. today probably by tomorrow it will calm down.
Pat
SM#123

                    We had a number of problems with our original anchor pump--it was replaced by Amel 3 times. That apart, we didn't find the direction and volume  of the water onto the chain to be very effective--OK if the chain was straight up and down, but poor otherwise, particularly with thick mud or clay.
 We saw the solution on another SM, which was to fit a more powerful Jabsco pump and a hose outlet just in front of the Lofrans.  Yes, it means that someone must be in the bows to connect the hose and use the hose gun to  direct  a strong jet of water on to the chain, but in that way you are guaranteed a really clean chain. As with anything on an Amel you should be slow to change an original fitting, but  If you ever anchor in muddy waters this gives you a far better result.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Hyeres

[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello gang,

We took a different route; we simply connected the chain wash to the “fresh water system” and removed the “headache” pump altogether.

Effectively, the jet is not very powerful but if you raise the anchor in steps, the water flows over the chain.

Works for us.

Jean-Pierre,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007