[Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster Housing

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

If I were you, I would go to a boatyard that not only has another Santorin (I assume you have a Santorin), but also a contractor capable of fabricating a replacement, or repairing what you have. Virtually anything made of fiberglass can be repaired or replaced.

I note that you did not sign your email, give your boat name, hull number and location. It is possible that another owner is near you and could help directly, but when you do not sign your postings, you will never know.

Bill
BeBe 387
Grenada, WI, Caribbean

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 5:03 AM, santorinlo18@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi forum, Unfortunately in the last summer when sailed out of a congested harbour in Greece, my bow thruster housing, (the bottom part which is is used as cover aligned with the hull when bow thruster is up, just under the prop) was ripped off by a heavy chain of an anchor we have lifted and released. Currently, the bow thruster is functioning as the point of breaking is just under the shaft, but the in/out let hole in the hull is not covered when the bow thruster is in up position.

Amel has no drawings or measurements neither new piece for replacement or rebuild of the same.

Any Idea how to fix / rebuild this?

BTW - conclusion of this event - you can never be over careful when your bow thruster is down!!!

James Alton

Bill,

   Could you share some of your knowledge and experience with the Amel bow thruster?  For instance,  what techniques do you find work best when backing using the thruster?  Also what procedures do you have in place to prevent possible damage and what are the usual consequences of say picking up a lazy/mooring line?  ( which is something I worry about, especially since it is not always clear when a helper is hauling one up for you…)

    I have found the Amel bow thruster to be an amazing tool, especially when backing, but I am sure that there is still a lot that I can learn.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220
Arbatax,  Italy

On Nov 5, 2016, at 8:34 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Patrick McAneny

Nameless, Since you asked , how to rebuild , I assume you would like to do this yourself , otherwise you could let a fabricator determine how to. If you had access to a similar boat on the hard , then making a female mold would make it fairly simple. I would tape a sheet of wax paper to the bottom of the bowthruster , then apply two layers of fiberglass and resin , trim the edges to match . Using that as a female mold , you would then lay up several layers of fiberglass to the appropriate thickness , making note of what the interior of the panel looks like. You did not say if the struts on either side of the prop were damaged, if damaged repairs would be done to return them to original condition. I would probably then reinstall the thruster , dry fit the new panel up against the struts to check fit. If the fit is good , I would take accurate measurements from all sides of opening to determine placement and/or possibly apply something on the bottom of the struts , paint or powder ,reposition the panel to transfer location of struts to panel. I would then only tab them into place and recheck position , if happy ,epoxy the struts to the panel followed by several layers of fiberglass on all sides of the struts/panel. Any imperfections in the panel can be filled with thicken epoxy and can be sanded . If no other boat was available , I would probably use the hull immediately aft of the thruster hole ,tape the wax paper and make a female mold the appropriate length and width , this would give you a close but slightly flatter panel that you sand to take out the extra material ,until happy with fit.
Pat SM #123

From: "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 11-05-2016 11:38 AM (GMT-04:00)
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster Housing

From: "Santorin LO santorinlo18@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 11-05-2016 12:45 PM (GMT-04:00)
To: amelyachtowners@...

[...]

   I am in agreement with all of your comments on the Amel Bow Thruster.  If starting from scratch today, I am not sure that it would be possible to improve much if any over the original design.

  When you are steering in reverse using your thruster, do you lock or also use your rudder to steer?

  I think that I read that the SM has a lock out switch that prevents the unit from being accidentally operated when retracted.  It appears that my Maramu does not have this safety feature so only the toggle switch on the exterior control panel disables the system once the breakers are on.  Do you know if the thruster would be damaged if accidentally run in the retracted position?

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220
Arbatax,  Italy