[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Wearing out bearing

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

Yes, you need two speedi-sleeves.

You put on one, all the way to the shoulder, then put the second one on.  Be gentle with the 2nd one. If you are over ambitious in installation of the second one it is possible to overlap them. Other than ripping off the second one and starting over there is no good way to fix it if you go too far.  A little overlap isn’t a disaster, it occurs in a place where the seal  lips do not bear.

The total width of the seal bearing surface on a wearing-out-bearing is from the shoulder to the chamfer is…. (surprise!) 28 mm.  So two speedi-sleeves is a perfect fit.

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie
On the Hard, Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Ships and men rot in port."

On Dec 1, 2016, at 21:43, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill

Speedi-sleeves are only 14 mm long. One sleave can work only with 2 seals. We have 3 seals. Do you install 2 SpeedI-sleeves?
If you install 2 sleeves, then how do you do that?

VLADIMIR SONSEV

Bill,

The installation tool that comes with the Speedi-sleeve is not so long to push the first sleeve all the way in. How do you install the first sleeve to it propper place?

I really appreciate all information that you provide. I like this solution because it is less expansive.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"
202 258 1916

On Dec 1, 2016, at 21:43, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Bill

Speedi-sleeves are only 14 mm long. One sleave can work only with 2 seals. We have 3 seals. Do you install 2 SpeedI-sleeves?
If you install 2 sleeves, then how do you do that?

Craig Briggs

Vladimir,
The installation instructions cover that, saying that if you need a longer tool you should use a pipe of the correct diameter.  Also, you will have to remove the flange of the second sleeve, cutting it before installing the sleeve and then peeling it off. Again, all covered in the instructions.
Good luck,
Craig, SN#68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sonsev52@...> wrote :

[...]

Hi Crag,

I have reviewed the instructions. Instructions are not applicable for our case.
Instructions recommend to push Speedi sleeves by the flange. It will not work for us. Because the  first sleeve should contact a bushing shoulder by it's edge after the flange is removed. That is additional 2.99 mm. Similar situation is with a second sleeve. It should contact the end of the first sleeve after the flange is removed. Both sleeves have to be pushed for 2.99 mm by force that is applied on a sleeve edge. The edges are very thin. You need a special tool that slides with minimum clerance on the outer edge of the sleeve with a step to smaller diameter that slids on the wear bushing. That tool has to be made. It will cost probubly $100.00 or $200.00. The edge of the sleeve should not be damaged during installation. If sleev's edge is damaged it can cut a seal during installation.
Perhaps Speedi sleeve option is not practical in our application because sleeve's installation has to deviat from SKF instructions.

Vladimir
SM # 345

eric freedman

Vladimir

I had no problem installing the sleeves. I did not need any special tools.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

I think you will find that several people have installed speedi-sleeves on an Amel “wearing-out-bearing” without issue.

Some people have had good luck with them, getting longer life than from the original part, while other have not gotten any extended life from them.  I am not sure why the differences. Maybe the amount of abrasive sediment in the water they sail in?  Maybe they blame the sleeves when it is actually the seal that has failed and the sleeves are just fine.

I am not aware of anyone who has tried them who has reported they were a disaster.

If they wear out, they are easily removed and new ones installed.

They are cheaper and more readily available than the Amel original IF you are in a major industrial port.  If you are “out island” there is no real difference in availability or cost between sourcing an Amel bearing and a set of sleeves.

On my boat I have two spare bearings new from Amel, and two sets of speedi-sleeves.  The bearing in the drive right now has speedi-sleeves on it.

On Dec 2, 2016, at 21:29, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill, Creg,

Please explain how did you push on a sleeve after you removed a flange. SKF instructions state that you have to push on a flange.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"

On Dec 2, 2016, at 21:29, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Hi Vladimir,
It sounds like the issue is that you are trying to push on the edge of the sleeve, which is incorrect. You must only push on the flange, never on the edge of the sleeve. No special tools needed.
You install the first sleeve with the flange side down, that is, the flange goes on first and you do not remove that flange. Again, you are pushing on the flange, not the edge. You then cut a notch in the flange of the second sleeve and then put it on again flange first, sliding it down so it is very close to the first one. Again, you only push on the flanges, not the edge of the sleeve. Finally, you take a pliers and remove the flange of the second sleeve (not the first sleeve). There will be a small gap between the two sleeves after you remove the flange - not a problem as no seals rub there.
Hope that helps,
Cheers, Craig, SN#68 Sangaris

[...]

Hi again, Vladimir,
I wrote my first post before I read your second post. It definitely sounds like you have removed the flange first and then tried to install the sleeve. You must leave the flanges on and use the supplied tool to push on them (or a correctly sized pipe if you need to push it on further). If you want to remove a flange, which you will on the second sleeve, you only cut a small notch in the flange before installing - do not take the flange off. Then you install it by pushing on the flange and after it is in place you take off the flange.
Cheers,
Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sangaris@...> wrote :

[...]

Craig,

Thanks a lot for providing details. That is very important.

I do not have the sleeves yet. I am just thinking how can I install two sleeves on the bushing. The wear bushing is 28 mm long plus 2 mm chamfer. That is total 30 mm.

A sleeve with a flange is 17 mm long.  A sleeve without a flange is 14 mm. There will be a gap between the sleevs 1 mm or more. Totally two sleeves will cover cove 17+14+1=32 mm.

Therefore the second sleeve will cover the chamfer and overhang the wear bushing by 2 mm.

Is this correct??

---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

[...]

The excess sleeve that hangs over the wearing out bearing can easily be removed with a dremel tool. Takes a minute.

Also I was able to get the two sleeves to butt up against each other , Unfortunately I forgot how.

Why not just buy a few new ones from Amel they are only 149 euros each?

[...]

Do not let the sleeves overhang the chamfer. The sharp edge will tear the rubber lip of the seal.

They will go on all the way without a gap between.

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie
On the hard, Ft Lauderdale, FL

On Dec 3, 2016, at 17:12, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,

If we do not have a gap between sleeves 17+14= 31 mm.  Second sleeve still covers the chamfer and overhang by 1mm. I really do not see how it can work.
The only way possible is to remove the flange on the first sleeve and push it to the wear bushing shoulder. But I don't see how it can be done.

VLADIMIR
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"

---In amelyachtowners@...m, wrote :

[...]

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Eric,

That is the VERY REASON that I have not tried Speedi Sleeves. I assume the reason for using the sleeves is to get longer life out of the wear bushing. Since I service the C Drive and Bow Thruster every two years when hauled out for antifouling, I cannot justify adding a Speedi Sleeve or two. If you add Speedi Sleeves because you want to  eliminate water intrusion, I suggest that you should review the service  procedure. When it's done correctly, there will not be intrusion.

Now, that said, Amel accidentally shipped what I believe is a test prototype of a wear bushing with chrome plating where the seals ride on the bushing. I have not been able to get the story behind this chrome plated wear bushing from Amel. The person who has this part is going to try it shortly, but it will probably be a year or two before he has any reportable results.

Does anyone in the Group have any inside information on this partially chrome plated wear bushing? Maybe he shouldn't try it?

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Dec 3, 2016 6:59 PM, "'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The excess sleeve that hangs over the wearing out bearing can easily be removed with a dremel tool. Takes a minute.

Also I was able to get the two sleeves to butt up against each other , Unfortunately I forgot how.

Why not just buy a few new ones from Amel they are only 149 euros each?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Thanks a lot for providing details. That is very important.

I do not have the sleeves yet. I am just thinking how can I install two sleeves on the bushing. The wear bushing is 28 mm long plus 2 mm chamfer. That is total 30 mm.

A sleeve with a flange is 17 mm long.&nbsp ; A sleeve without a flange is 14 mm. There will be a gap between the sleevs 1 mm or more. Totally two sleeves will cover cove 17+14+1=32 mm.

---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, <sonsev52@...> wrote :

[...]

Cutting and polishing Speedi sleeves is not for a man with average skills. SKF will not recommend doing that. Sleeve's leading edge is critical for proper installation. If it is not cut and polished correctly it can damage the seals.

There are several other issues with our application of Speedi sleeves:

1. During wear bushing installation a seal has to slide through the area between two sleeves. It will have some gap. You have to be very careful during installation. You shuold not rotate bushing during installation and move it on ones. Do not put it on and off several times.

2. You have be totally sure that no sleeve is running next to the flange or between two sleeves.

Based on all above, I would not recommend Speedi sleeves to a man with average technical skills. Do not forget that you will not know that installation was bad untill you see a water in the oil. Whatever you do must be perfect with minimal chances for incorrect installation.

Bill,

Chrome plated and polished wear bushings will work several times longer. That is for sure better solution. But it will be expensive. Chrome plating is environmentally bad process.
I will discuss this with a plating place in Baltimore next week.

Vladimir
SM # 345 "LIFE IS GOOD"

Craig Briggs

Hi Bill,
I think we can safely assume you are changing the wearing-out-bearing every two years because they are, well, "wearing out" and allowing water intrusion, or, if not yet leaking you expect them to and you're doing preventive maintenance. How paradoxical that Amel refers to this as a "wearing-out-bearing" - I'd expect "forever-bearing" would be more Amel-ish!
Anyway, as we all discussed on this thread some years ago, Captain Henri made an unusual choice by not specifying a much harder material for the application, which was the engineering judgement of SKF's seal engineer who reviewed this for me and recommended a much harder material.
Perhaps the captain assumed owners would replace it regularly as you have, and avoid a problem. I have always gone 3 or 4 seasons and not worried about the "chocolate" oil. The Speedi Sleeves do minimize water intrusion because the bearing is not wearing out, although, of course, the lip seals have a limited life.
Let's hope that the prototype you mention was an attempt to improve on the Captain's original choice and will become available to us.
Cheers, Craig SN#68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <yahoogroups@...> wrote :

[...]

Bill R,

I don’t know about the Amel “chrome plated” bushing, but I can suggest that--in general--chrome plating is not a great solution for hardening a shaft under a lip seal.   Yes, it is hard and doesn’t wear.  And it LOOKS shiny and smooth, but over time develops tiny cracks that make its surface rough at a micro-level that causes the rubber lip of the seals to wear faster. So the seals don’t wear the shaft, the shaft wears the seals.  Might be better than plain bronze, but not a perfect choice.

I wonder why this part is made of bronze? It is a marginal material as far as hardness under a lip seal.  Ok, it’s not really marginal, it is quite a bit softer than seal maker specifications. Not about to change it, but I do wonder what the reasoning was?

I don’t think anybody has suggested that sleeves should be added to a new bearing to eliminate water intrusion. You are absolutely right, that would NOT be a good use for them. If seals leak while following the recommended service interval with a new bearing, installation technique is suspect, and sleeves will NOT help.

Sleeves CAN be used to rehabilitate a worn out wearing out bearing to get longer life from it.  That’s what they are made for, and thats what they are good at.

I do not believe they significantly change the service interval for the lower c-drive shaft seal. Based on Harmonie’s maintenance data even if the sleeves are not worn, the seals themselves need to be replaced at the recommended interval.

They do go all the way on without cutting or machining. They should NOT be altered in any way.  I can post a picture of a sleeved bearing if people really don’t believe it.  Unfortunately I don’t have one that needs sleeving so can’t post the process, but I don’t remember any magic, just followed instructions.

All that said….this really is a minor deal.  It’s €150 for a new bearing.  It’s $70 for two speedi sleeves.  If anybody has ANY doubt whatsoever, just call Amel and get a new bearing and throw it away with the seals after 800 hours. We all know THAT works!

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie
On the Hard, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Splashing Wednesday….  we hope!
“Ships and men rot in port."

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

[...]

Don't send a picture with Speed sleeve, just describe in details Speedi sleeve installation process for our application.

Vladimir
SM #345

Vladimir
202 258 1916

On Dec 4, 2016, at 06:36, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

I am changing the wear bushing, seals, and C Drive oil every two years because that is what is recommended by Amel. Also, I renew antifouling with Micron66 every two years because that is what is recommended. I do all these jobs and others every two years when we haul BeBe #387.

It has been my goal since owning BeBe to never have to work on something that is broken or worn out. My goal is to do the scheduled maintenance when it is due. It has worked for me in almost all things on BeBe.

This is what I do. I completely respect your opinion and the opinion of others. I offered my opinion and what I do and asked I straightforward question about Speedi Sleeves because I do not get the benefit, and, of course because I am the resident advocate of "The Amel Way."

Best,

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Dec 3, 2016 6:59 PM, "'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Here is my best memory of how it went…

  1. On the used bearing, measure the spots where the lips of the seal rub on the bearing.
  2. Push the first sleeve on as far as possible with the tool provided.  The sleeve will need to go in further at this point.
  3. Use a piece of pipe (2 inch, schedule 80 is a good fit) to tap it in all the way.  The pipe will push the base of the flange right back to within less than a mm of the shoulder of the bearing.  My recollection is that he flange might distort a little as it comes up against the shoulder, but that’s not a problem.
  4. Remove the flange from the first sleeve as per SKF’s instructions. If is sits flush against the shoulder of the bearing you might not need to do this.
  5. Install the second sleeve using the tool provided. Tap in in until it just clears the chamfer. This is the critical dimension, not its location relative to the first sleeve.  If my memory serves, this can be done without using the pipe.
  6. Check to be sure the sleeves are properly situated relative the the locations you measured in Step 1, i.e., the lips should bear fully on the sleeves NOT on edges shoulders or gaps.
  7. Remove the flange from the second sleeve as per SKF’s instructions.

If the two sleeves overlap a little, or show a small gap it’s not a problem—the seals should not bear at that spot.

As always, when installing the seals, make sure they are well and fully lubricated.  Do this even if you are just checking the fit, you don’t want to scratch or nick the edge of the rubber lip.