boxtron replacement

Bob Hodgins <bobh@...>

Jeff,
I have an answer for you, as I recently did exactly the same procedure. My 54 is #31, so likely very similar to yours. When my original boxtron failed, Paul was also helpful in replacing it with the newer e14s, but the same issue of 2 vs. 3 wires was the problem he could not answer. In the original configuration, when you activated the switch, it supplied 24v to the boxtron, and depending on which way the switch was switched, it would power right or left turns. The new e14S only requires to contact the ground with either of the other leads to activate the turns. It supplies the power internally, you only need to make the contact. I think the terminals were 4, 5, and 6 in the e14S, or maybe it was 5, 6, and 7. Either way you need to contact the middle one with either of the other to make it run in one direction or the other.
I had spare relays for the bow thruster up down circuit. They are little ice cube relays that are available in most any auto parts store for less than $10. A part number is 24V-03526. Google it to find them. I installed 2 of them right in the e14 box using the 24v from the original wires, one to each relay, to activate the relay, which closes the contacts to complete the circuit for the e14s.
Pick up a ground internally in the e14s, connect it to terminal 85 on each relay. Connect one of the original power wires to terminal 86 on each of the relays. In the e14s box, connect terminal 5 to terminal 30 on both relays, and connect terminal 4 to terminal 87 on one relay and terminal 6 to the other relay terminal 87. Easy install without having to change any wires from the helm to the bow.
Cheers,
Bob Hodgins
Gallivant
Amel 54 #31
currently in St. Thomas, USVI

JEFFREY KRAUS

I recently swapped out my headsail boxtron unit with my staysail boxtron unit. I am replacing the staysail boxtron unit with the new boxtron e14s unit. Besides the conversion of the +/- power cables to and from the unit (from power, and to the furler motor) to new clip on connections, which is a straight forward job, there is one issue that presents itself. The old boxtron had 2 wires coming from the switch at the helm. I assume that there was an internal ground in the boxtron unit that allowed the switches to share a common ground. The new boxtron unit shows 3 wires, coming from the switches, in/out/and a common ground.

I have spoken to Paul (Bamar USA). He explained where the 2 switch wires from the old unit went, but the common ground wire shown on the wiring plan for the new unit wasn't identified. Our conversation via email left off with me needing to look at the switches in the cockpit, and revisiting the wiring after that.

If anyone has done this switch from the boxtron to the boxtron e14s? Any insight would be appreciated.

One side note:

In my conversation with Paul,( who was very helpful and forthcoming), he brought up the issue of an overheat sensor on the boxtron unit.

Apparently, the furlers that I have installed aboard do not have an overheat sensor. This, I assume would send a signal to the boxtron to shut off the motor when overloaded during use, avoiding damage to the furler. The next generation has that feature built in.

Jeff Spirit 54 #14