Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] rudder post packing nut size

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

I don't know the nut size, but the wrench I have used is an adjustable Pack Nut Wrench and adjusts from 1" to 3". It is made by Allied. www.alliedtools.com

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Dec 20, 2016 11:46 PM, "'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Does anyone have the size for the flat wrench required for the SM plastic rudder post packing nut.

Amazon has - 2-1/4" Shaft Packing Wrench for "Rudder Stuffing Box" – but it seems our nut is larger.

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

St. Augustine, FL

Patrick McAneny

Bill , I may be wrong , but I think a few months ago you said that you had purchased a suitable wrench at Home Depot or Lowes . I looked in the plumbing dept. and bought the wrench , its flat and adjustable . It looks like it will work perfectly . Mike see if you can't find the wrench at Lowes.
Merry Christmas to All,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Does anyone have the size for the flat wrench required for the SM plastic rudder post packing nut.
Amazon has - 2-1/4" Shaft Packing Wrench for "Rudder Stuffing Box" – but it seems our nut is larger.
Thanks,
Mike Ondra
Aletes SM#240
St. Augustine, FL

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Mike;

I measured ours on the 54 and it measures 73mm. I'm not sure if it is the same on the Super Maramu.

Mohammad and Aty
Amel 54 #099
B&B Kokomo

ya_fohi

I had a steel one made at a workshop quite cheaply. Note I originally had an aluminium one made but it it was not strong enough.
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Mike Ondra

I do have and tried the adjustable wrench. Found it too thick or conflicting with the quadrant. What I did not do is turn the rudder to potentially get the quadrant clear enough so that the wrench wing nut did not conflict. Will try that next time on the boat. By the way, York Design and Fabrication, in Ohio, make stuffing box wrenches up to 2 ¾”. I just need to know the size of the nut.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Does anyone have the size for the flat wrench required for the SM plastic rudder post packing nut.

Amazon has - 2-1/4" Shaft Packing Wrench for "Rudder Stuffing Box" – but it seems our nut is larger.

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

St. Augustine, FL

Duane Siegfri

I measured mine at 70 mm

Duane
Wanderer SM 477

karkauai

We are stocking up on spare parts for our S Pacific cruise.  I am wondering about shelf life of the packing for the rudder stuffing box.  In 10 years I have only had to tighten the nut about 1/8 turn to stop a small leak.  It’s 20 years old so I want to be prepared if I need to change it.  Will this packing last indefinitely?  What if I vacuum seal it?

How much would you carry for a 5-10 year cruise?

As usual, thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Kent & Iris

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Kent & Iris, and the Amel community in general,

Sorry I cannot comment on the shelf life of the packing material but I do have a question regarding the packing nut and stuffing box. A small leak was noticed after our passage from Panama to Nuku Hiva. Just wondering if there's anything special with tightening the nut. My plan is to fit a large wrench, give it a ~1/8th turn and tighten up the siezing wire. Is it that simple?

I know other stuffing box designs sometimes want a very slow drip to help with lubrication. Maybe that is only for propshaft stuffing boxes? Just want to make sure I understand the Amel design before doing anything. Should it be 100% leakproof and dry?

Photos attached to show what it looks like on Trilogy.

Thanks,
Mike & Hannah
SV Trilogy
Kauehi, Tuamotus

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019, 08:47 karkauai via Groups.Io, <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
We are stocking up on spare parts for our S Pacific cruise.  I am wondering about shelf life of the packing for the rudder stuffing box.  In 10 years I have only had to tighten the nut about 1/8 turn to stop a small leak.  It’s 20 years old so I want to be prepared if I need to change it.  Will this packing last indefinitely?  What if I vacuum seal it?

How much would you carry for a 5-10 year cruise?

As usual, thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Kent & Iris

Arno Luijten

As it happens I’ve just ordered a new nut together with the packing material for our boat.
Regrettably the nut is not on stock at Amel, they just ordered new ones themselves but it will be September before they are back on stock.
Looking at your picture you seem to have enough room to tighten the nut 1/6 or 1/3 turn.
Be careful as the nut is made of nylon. A rudder gland should not leak at all. The packing material is grease saturated and should keep the water out.
Use a good fitting wrench to tighten the nut and turn it slowly. Do 1/6th of a turn and first assess the result before turning it any more. If movement is extremely hard, the packing material needs to be replaced first.

Regards,
Arno
SV Luna,
A54-121

eric freedman

Hi ,
Here is a photo of a wrench that I made to tighten the nut. It is made from a piece of 6 mm aluminum stock and cut out with a band saw.

You can also make a long "L" shaped piece of stainless steel the vertical part of the L will hold the nut in place and the horizontal section is drilled for screws and this screws into the base below the nut.

I expanded the stuffing box and now have 5 pieces of packing in the stuffing box. I have kept the packing in a plastic zip lock bag taped with duct tape near the rudder stock along with a packing nut.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Thanks Eric, any idea how long the packing material might last if kept in a vacuum sealed bag?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Aug 2, 2019, at 10:17 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

[...]

<20150625_093338.jpg>

eric freedman

Kent,
I have had packing in a zip lock bag by the rudder for 5 years and when I used it was like new.
I installed it with molykote.
[...]

Heinz Stutenbaeumer

Hallo
In the episodes 204 and 205 of the series Sv Delos on YouTube they show how they restored the hull of the Delos.
In episode 205 after about 50 % you can see how the seal in the rudder is renewed.

Fare Winds
Heinz, SY Quetzal, Super Maramu 200, 292

[...]

Thanks Eric & Heinz!

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...